“Great break away”

Ranked #17 of 43 Hotels in Port Douglas
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great break away”
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Flew up to Port Douglas to have a well deserved break and celebrate a milestone wedding anniversary. Had a wonderful time and a great stay at the hotel. The room was fantastic, the meals great. The reception service could have been a little better, but all in all, a great stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I recently went back to Treetops after a break of about 3 years I had stayed there 3 times in the past when it was a Radisson hotel.It has changed owners 3 times since then,the most recent being a change to Ramada about 1 week before I arrived.This fact was not made known to me and the first problem my daughter -who arrived a few hours before me-and then myself found was that on checking in the staff refused to honour the breakfast deal which was offered at the time of our booking-pay $19 for a continental or $1 more for full buffet--normally $30.
It was quite difficult -and really an unpleasant introduction to our holiday-to get the original deal.We were told to take it up at the restaurant in the morning which we did.Here the staff made it very clear that they would charge as the price we were told when we booked as they felt this was the right thing to do.
I would like to make the point here that if a new company is taking over an old one surely they should be aiming to please rather than behaving in such an unprofessional and unwelcoming manner!
Some other negative features were : no Spa being available for use,the front bar/cocktail lounge previously so enjoyable was no longer operating,the second restaurant no longer in use except for functions,no shop--and none of these are mentioned on the websites even today when I checked before writing the review.
I also need to mention that my bed was extremely hard,and from the first day I woke with a sore neck and upper back such that on my return to Melbourne I had to see a physiotherapist!
The room was generally OK with a big gap near the couch which in my daughter's room had a coffee table.I did not like the bathroom toiletries in their automatic dispensers which smelled unpleasant and I feel looked cheap,as was the "sleep-in Sunday"--in other words a way to avoid servicing the rooms on Sundays unless you specifically ask for it.
During a wedding and one other night the noise levels were extreme,with some screaming girls at one stage seen hurtling down the main walkway on a luggage trolley before crashing into the trees.No staff came to sort this out!
On the good side,the pool remains very pretty although still a bit cool,and I had some very nice meals at the restaurant,where the staff were unfailingly very pleasant.
In summary,when I booked and the price was quite cheap on a special I went back to my favourite place expecting all that I had enjoyed in the previous years.
I was rather disappointed and instead feel this hotel is now catering to people/families who want a good price to stay here as a base for all the area has to offer--which has it's merits -but not for those who want a more up-market resort with luxury rooms and facilities.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank MelbourneShell
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 29, 2011

After the initial shock of the ownership change (we thought our GPS had lied to us!) we couldn't believe our luck at choosing such a beautiful hotel. The grounds are beautiful and we highly recommend having a cocktail in the pool.

Word of warning, if you plan to eat in the restaurant make sure you book otherwise you may be told off by one of the waiters (even though the restaurant may look empty). However, the food is sensational and we highly recommend the crocodile spring rolls and chocolate fondant! It was the aforementioned staff member that meant we only ate there once howver we would have gone bak again and again!

Great value, excellent service! Can't wait to come back!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 27, 2011

The room was musty smelling and there was black mold in the corner on the wall. Needs to be repaired.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
lynchburg Virginia, USA
Reviewed September 26, 2011

For the price we paid (some of the lowest I came across in Port Douglas) this hotel fit the bill. It's a no-frills room, but adequate for the intended purpose which was simply a place to sleep every night. It served as a base for a trip to the reef and other exploration around PD. The pool is very nice. Food at the restaurant was good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing into the courtyard, otherwise you are facing the property's back wall.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2011

The location was grand & the little resort bus does an adequate job be mindful that the buses are operated by different companies & the tickets aren't transferable.
So the hotel, the check in staff were lovely when we explained that we had booked a trip for the next morning the staff member (blonde girl can't recall her name) phoned the company to check our pickup time without us even asking we were also given chilled bottles of water, which were welcome & a nice touch.
Walking over the little bridge takes you to a lovely pool & tree lined pathways - all lovely & a nice reminder of your tropical location. We enjoyed our room though we spent little time in it
we would have liked another day to enjoy the hotel's facilities as we really had a full 2 day schedule. We were so grateful for the laundry facilities which were on every floor.
We ate at the restaurant & really enjoyed it even the house wine was lovely & the chocolate
fondant was most enjoyable. Another nice touch is the free Internet in the bar area.
On the downside we were disappointed that you have to pay to use the in room safe, on all my personal and professional travels I have never had to pay to use a safe - the reception staff
stored our valuables in the hotel safe for free but it would have been nice to have that in room.
There are other examples of penny pinching but overall we enjoyed the hotel enough not to be churlish about details.
While there we also ate at the Iron Bar, which was really lovely & went on the Aquarius & Tony's Tropical Tours. All great experiences - just not enough time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank frecka
nsw
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Extremely poor serviced rooms, not clean at all, hugely over priced, restaurant extremely expensive and the food is very poor quality. extremely uncomfortable beds, feel like sleeping on conccrete blocks, and the mattresses are that old they sag where you sleep on both sides.
Hugely not recommended