“Must must do - great way to see the reef”

Updraught Microlights and Hang Gliders
More attraction details
Owner description: Owners Description .The ground zooms by then steadily drops away as you enter the perfect vault of sky above . A surreal world opens where the cool blue shades of the Coral Sea are in perfect harmony with a calling wind .Fear and Apprehension give way to Excitement and Adventure as you fly up on eagle wings .For a moment in time be part of this extreme environment . Marvel at the Tropical Wonders . Of Golden Beaches , Crystal Rivers , Ancient Rainforest and Towering Mountains . Of Crocodile , Turtle , Shark , Manta , Dugong and Dolphine .Take a flight into the beautiful blue and cast free those shackles of earthly capture .Kindest Regards .Management .
Reviewed December 8, 2014 via mobile

I know everyone comes to see the reef, and this is an AMAZING way to see it from a different angle. My wife and I went up in a micro-light and it was the highlight of our trip. Flying over the water I was able to see schools of fish, countless rays (including a huge manta ray), a bull shark, few black tip sharks as well as the breathless shore (including places not accessible), the mangrove swamps, the Daintree river and forest, Mossman river, snapper island, cape Kimberly, the cane fields of Mossman, pretty much the entire area. AND Kevin (the pilot and just an incredible guy) provides information answers questions and points out everything to you.

Kevin is an exceptional pilot, knows the area, and will make you feel safe and secure. In fact I was scheduled to fly after my wife but conditions were not safe so he arranged another time around my schedule.

You MUST do this. It truly enhances the trip to the reef, putting everything in perspective and you get a real feeling of how big and beautiful the area is.

All reviews
"bird"
"soaring"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed November 18, 2014 via mobile

I went for the microlight experience with updraught and it was an exhilarating experience. It was the first time i was so far off the ground on something so tiny. It was very exciting but the pilot Kevin was quite experienced and so at no point did i feel uncomfortable.
I would recommend this to anyone looking to try something different in the Port Douglas area.

Reviewed November 9, 2014

Like others reviewing here, we scheduled hang gliding but winds were too low for flight. Instead, Kevin took us up in the microlight and it did NOT disappoint! Such beautiful views of the area. Kevin pointed out all the sights and was really friendly. On the way up to the hangar, he even offered to stop at the gas station so we could buy refreshments or use the restroom. (In hindsight, I would have taken him up on that and gotten some water/snacks to have while my husband was flying)

One thing to keep in mind- if there are two of you, you'll be going up one at a time while the other hangs out in a field. Not a problem, but it might behoove you to bring a book or something for a bit of entertainment while you are waiting.

1  Thank Haylee O
Reviewed November 5, 2014

My two friends and I were booked in to do hang gliding with them but unfortunately there was no wind. Because of the fact that they were flying out and could not reschedule Kevin was nice enough to upgrade us to the 30 minute Microlights flight without charging any extra money. It was such a beautiful experience and amazing time and he was so knowledgable about the local area. When we got out over the reef he slowed right down and went a little lower and we saw sharks and turtles from above. There are no words to explain how epic this trip is and I highly reccommend it and can not wait to hang glide with them!!!

1  Thank geroge4982
See more reviews
Reviewed October 15, 2014

It is imperative that I do share my personal experience in trip adviser as I always look up this site when I have to plan a trip.
Today me and my husband were supposed to do hang gliding with Kevin.
We were advised from cairns that it can all be arranged as long as we are in port douglas.BTS tour services would be able to arrange that for us.as this activity happends in Rex look out point which is in middle between port douglas and cairns time table can be arranged and everything should be looked after.
We arrived at 12.30 16/10.with intention of doing the hang gliding at 3-4 as we would like to spend some time in the beach.my husband called and had a chat with Kevin and infront of me advised it have to be after 3 pm.he advised its fine and wanted to speak with BTS services.
We were really happy and left the place for them to figure out time and other aspect.
To that I recieved a voice service from BTS to advise me it can not happen today as Kevin declined it.
I called to ask to that he was not behaving well and further told me it's supposed to be at 2 pm.
No apology no regret to ruin an experience for a human being at all.
I have definitely booked hang gliding but I will never recommend some body so unprofessional.

7  Thank KarishmaM53
Kevin G, Owner at Updraught Microlights and Hang Gliders, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2014

There are some untruthful remarks that need to be explained in this review .

A confirmed booking was made by your husband with me for a 1-30 pm Tandem Hang Gliding Flight over the phone .

The 1-15 pm BTS Bus had seats available to transfer you and your husband to the launch site .

The 3-30 pm Tandem Flight was not available . This was explained to your husband 3 times .
By the 3rd explanation your husband said he understood .Perhaps if I spoke Indian there would have been less confusion .

You or your husband then made an unconfirmed booking with a tour desk for a 3-30 pm flight , to suit your time table .

We set the Glider up and then waited till 2 pm and you still had not shown .

I rang BTS Buses to see where you were and was informed of the unconfirmed flight .

The facts are :
1 You missed your confirmed flight .
2 You were initially miss informed by an unknown source in Cairns . .

Regards . Mamagement .