“Best Shop We Walked Into On Our Stay In Port Douglas”

Scuba Dave - Day Diving
More attraction details
Owner description: We work on, live & love the reef. As professional divers, we specialise in privately guided dive trips on the Great Barrier Reef. We run a PADI Dive Centre in Port Douglas offering Introductory Diving, Open Water Courses, Advanced Training and Specialty Certifications. Why not earn your PADI DPV (Diver Propulsion Vehicle) specialty certification whilst seeing parts of the reef other divers cannot get to. Call into our store for snorkelling & scuba gear, our own range of Scuba Diver merchandise - show the world you're a diver! We want you to get the absolute most out of your Great Barrier Reef experience. At ScubaDave we listen to all that you expect from your day and offer impartial advice and a selection of options. Contact us today to make your stay in Port Douglas the trip of a lifetime.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best Shop We Walked Into On Our Stay In Port Douglas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

My partner and I walked into the store, just curious about the costs involved in purchasing a good quality set of Snorkel gear. We were amazed by the depth of knowledge and easy going attitude of both Dave and his lovely wife. They knew the ins and outs of all the local attractions (especially the water based ones) and were willing to give us an insiders explanation of what each one is comprised of, and what would suit us based on our age interests. Not just pushing us towards a specific one that they got more brownie points for. We ended up buying an awesome set of snorkel gear from them, and then went back the very next day and booked all of our tours trough them as they were so knowledgeable and informative, we avoided a few poor quality tours that Only locals could warn you about, and made the best of our limited time in Port Douglas. At no point did they ask us to book with them or push us in any way. We just felt like if we were going to give our custom to someone it would be these people who were so helpful. Also we got some specials and saved about $100 off a snorkel trip and got a free double pass to a sunset sailboat experience.

Best thing that happened to us there!

Thanks Guys

Visited April 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

2 Thank Jesse C

Dallas, Texas
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great people to work with for Scuba and other activities on Port Douglas!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Dave and Katie (yes, cute couple) are down-to-earth, quality, trustworthy people. They give freely of their time and knowledge, concerning scuba diving and other activities /attractions in the Port Douglas area, with a no pressure attitude. I hired Dave as a private scuba guide. My wife and two daughters also went along for snorkeling – Dave was great with the girls providing educational insights into the reef and the local sea life. Dave is very knowledgeable on the technicalities of diving, such as, planning, equipment and safety, and was patient with me as a newly certified diver. My experience diving the Great Barrier Reef could not have gone better based on the support from Dave and Katie.

After spending days in preparation of our trip to the Great Barrier Reef, I was in a state of confusion. For those of you who are not aware, due to the distance out to the reef (some 50+ miles) large boats are required to go out into the open waters (which can be rough at times, even on a clear day) to selected sites which are under permit from the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority. The boats offer snorkeling, certified diver, and “resorts courses.” Therefore, if you hire a private scuba guide, you will be on the same vessels as everyone else. Dave works with them all. So depending on the sites you want to explore, just ask Dave to make a recommendation and sign you up on the appropriate boat. Also, you should consider him for a privately guide scuba outing either alone or a small group.

If you travel to Port Doulas for diving, or even other activities, you MUST visit or give them a call. Also, as I understand, they are the only independent scuba shop in Port Douglas, so support local business!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Visited June 2013
Victoria
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

I came up to cairns to do my padi open water dive course with scuba Dave.
I spent three days doing pool work and dives in the Great Barrier Reef with Dave and would recommend it to everyone.
Dave is very knowledgeable and passionate about the reef and of course diving. He made the course interesting and fun, as well as relaxing!
Dave is eagle eyed under the water and totally at ease, pointing out amazing things like huge fish, jelly fish and even turtles! All the while keeping an eye on everyone to know that they are safe and comfortable. I felt completely safe under the water with Dave doing my dive skills, knowing that he would be there to help me if I needed and to make sure nothing would go wrong.
Dave really helps you to understand the technically side to diving but also helps you to see the beauty to it and how amazing it really can be.
I would recommend diving with scuba Dave to anyone who wants to dive!
Cheers to Katie too for doing all the admin work!
Thanks guys! :)

Visited May 2013
1 Thank PhoebeSmart
west yorkshire
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Excellent experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Having done my PADI pool skills i was looking to build on this experience with dives off The Great Barrier Reef. Luckly i came across Dave's shop in Port Douglas. He impressed me with his knowledge and he was extemely helpful in the advice provided. As a result i booked a 2 day course with him, one to one basis, and they were one of the best and most informative days of our World tour. Very friendly and if you are looking to dive then he is certainly worth a visit.

Visited April 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

1 Thank ringmoor
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Knowledgeable, Personalised Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

While waiting for our dinner slot at Salsa, we wandered into Dave's shop by chance. Dave was friendly, knowledgeable and provided amazing personalised service. He really made our day. We told him our disappointing experience on Poseidon, and we had wanted to hire a Scuba guide (unfortunately Jay was away until 3 June). Dave told us he provided the personalised tours, but was fully booked and unable to help us during our stay (23 - 31 May). Even though, we couldn't give him business, Dave still spent 45 mins explaining about diving and other attractions in Port Douglas. Now, that's service. Of course, we booked our other tours with him. And we also bought a print transfer of his cute logo (evolution ... to a scuba diver) which he created himself.

Do visit Dave, even if you don't Scuba Dive. He'll give you honest, knowledgeable advice about the other attractions in Port Douglas. He was easily the friendliest and most knowledgeable tour booking agent that we met in Port Douglas (and we went to 6 different tour booking places).

Visited May 2013