“An amazing trip to the outer barrier reef” 5 of 5 bubbles

$178.39*
and up
Calypso Outer Great Barrier Reef Cruise from Port Douglas
More attraction details
Owner description: Visiting three spectacular sites on the outer Great Barrier Reef, Pure Snorkel carries a maximum of 35 guests on a day dedicated to snorkellers. Only two years old, this custom built vessel provides a relaxed and spacious day out with day bed style seating and fantastic views of the Coral Sea.
Birmingham
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“An amazing trip to the outer barrier reef”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We did the snorkelling trip with Calypso and visited 3 spots on the Outer Barrier Reef. The boat was large, modern and the 3 crew Alicia, (skipper) Rich and Jordan were all friendly, helpful and professional. Food and drink provided in the price was plentiful and of a high standard, a cup of tea after each snorkel was most welcome.
Two members of crew were always in the water with the guests to provide support and guidance, especially to the less confident swimmers and snorkellers. The first 2 snorkelling sights were awesome both in terms of the coral and the variety/numbers of fish we saw. We were fortunate to see dolphins who surronded the boat and performed for all the waiting cameras.
This trip is worth every penny and the opportunity to snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef is a real privilage and a once in a life time experience.

Columbus, Ohio
111 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 201 helpful votes
“Tough to beat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Very nice operation (and I have seen many over many years). They take you to three different spots on the reef, one hour of snorkeling at each one, with 5-10 minutes between sites. It takes an hour and a half each way to get out to the reef from PD Harbor.

First class boat (we were on Bubbles, the newest catamaran), which has the best dive platform I have ever seen and the nicest and most plentiful bathrooms I have ever seen for a mid size vessel. I think the max guest capacity is 38. We had 22 and were happy to have all the extra room. Three crew members who did their jobs well and did not bother you with silly chatter or sales pitches other nonsense. We did a snorkel only trip which is far superior to any blended scuba/snorkel trip. You can purchase a thumb drive of all in water photos of you for $50. Not cheap, but not too bad if you like this sort of thing. Lunch and water are provided. Sodas may be purchased.

The sites we visited were all different from one another, and the third one, "Horshoe" was terrific. All three were worth the trip.

Considering the many boats for these trips, I will say I found Calypso better than the others I researched and way better than the one I first considered, Quicksilver, which was appealing for non-snorkelers and for skittish snorkelers. After seeing their setup, and passengers (seemed old and unfamiliar with the act of snorkeling, arrived by large buses), I was thrilled we made the choice we did.

You cannot go wrong with Calypso, IMHO. They deserve to have a stellar reputation.

Visited November 2013
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Superb day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Did a snorkelling tour, top service, totally professional staff nothing too much trouble for them and extremely friendly. Wonderful wonderful day will be returning next year, thanks guys for an amazing day

Grimsby, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Amazing Day, Amazing Crew”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I had a great day visiting three spectacular spots. We were picked up at our hotel in Port Douglas and taken to the dock. We were greeted onboard by Jordan,Dallas, and Lisa. They were fun, informative, knowledgeable, and made the day incredible. The food served was fresh and delicious and there was lots of it. We saw some colourful fish of many varieties and some incredible coral and sea life. We would highly recommend this tour.

London, United Kingdom
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I did a snorkel tour with Calypso. It was awesome - the crew was very professional, attentive to the passengers and knowledgable. We visited 3 dive spots and each was unique. They also had yummy snacks us - we didn't go hungry.
If you are planning to just snorkel, I highly recommend a snorkel-only trip. If you have scuba divers on the boat the crew focuses more on them.

Visited September 2013