“Wicked”

Ranked #30 of 121 Restaurants in Port Douglas
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: bel cibo is a stylish yet informal Italian restaurant in the heart of Port Douglas with superb food, great service & alfresco dining, on the mezzanine floor of the Saltwater building, perfect for watching the day go by or the activity along the Macrossan Street.
Reviewed August 31, 2014 via mobile

We had never eaten here before, we've been missing out. Being local sometimes you don't try new places and stick with what you know. We were well impressed with the food, the staff were great and we were well looked after. Do book ahead as it is a busy restaurant.

Kiwichef, Owner at bel cibo, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2014

Thanks for your 5 star review, we are glad to hear that you tried somewhere new & it was Wicked.
Cheers.

There are newer reviews for bel cibo

Reviewed August 31, 2014

This place was almost fully booked on Sunday night. We just walked in and were given a nice seat. The wait staff are excellent and attentive. It is situated on the second level with tables for two (maybe also for four) on the balcony. The place had a little bar to wait if you needed to and the ambience of the restaurant was just lively enough without too much chatter.
We started off with the tomato bruschetta, which also came with pan melted mozzarella. Interesting, but nicely done.
Then for our mains I had the scotch fillet with caramelised onion, baby spinach and chat potatoes. The steak was a little over cooked when I asked for med to well, but none the less one of the nicest steaks I've had. Very tasty, tender and juicy. My wife had the risotto with Morton bay bugs, which she says to say was delicious.
We enjoyed a Mclaren Vale Shiraz from South Australia, which was smooth and light on the palate.
Now my wife loved the flour less chocolate cake. The vanilla icecream came with real vanilla bean in it. I had the Panacotta, bit wasn't fussed with it because they didn't set it properly, it was a little too runny once it was disturbed.
The pricing was reasonable for a tourist destination, but $14/dessert was a bit rich. I didn't have to order it, but I was in the mood.
Apart from that, I'd go back once I'd gotten through the rest of the restaurants in Port Douglas.

Thanks for your extensive review, We are glad to hear that you enjoyed bel cibo & will be coming back soon.Cheers.

Reviewed August 29, 2014

My husband had the chicken and polenta. The polenta was so badly burnt as to be inedible. The carbonara I had was very average and was accompanied by stuck together fettucini noodles. When we told the manager about the polenta, he refused to get a chef to look at the polenta and threatened to call the police if we didn't just pay up and leave. We paid and left. I later sent photos of the polenta to the owner of the restaurant. He advised me that he had plated the dish himself and saw nothing wrong with it. By the way, Zinc restaurant down the road serves delicious non-carcinogenic polenta which we enjoyed on two occasions while on holidays.

5  Thank R0llerskate
Kiwichef, Owner at bel cibo, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2014

Whilst I am sorry you didn't enjoy bel cibo it begs belief what you are saying could be true in reality. You were checked on & all was fine, however when it came to clearing your plates
out came the Jekyll & Hyde customer that no restaurant wants, the one that performs like a spoilt child that has had there favourite toy taken off them. Short of lying on the ground & stamping your feet, you drew as much attention to you as possible which was an embarrassment for yourself not us. Your threats to write all over the internet & so on was quite appalling, however true. I would love to be able to upload you to TA as your performance was on camera.
If a meal is wrong, substandard etc.. send it back, you'll find restaurants will do their up most to correct the situation at the time. Once you've eaten almost all of it it would surprise me if anything anywhere was done. You may also like to give a raving great review to the other establishments you enjoyed whilst in PD rather than using this forum as a slander site for your 1 & only review.

Reviewed August 28, 2014

We enjoyed our evening here. Pleasant ambience, good service and good food. More specifically, we had the best ciabbata of the trip so far - delicious wedge of tasty bread - and if the gnocchi didn't quite live up to expectations, it was tender and tasty. Prices average compared to our other Port Douglas eating experiences: North Qld has me wondering why I ever complained about Perth prices.

Kiwichef, Owner at bel cibo, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2014

Thank you for your review & glad you enjoyed bel cibo.

Reviewed August 28, 2014

I was really looking forward to this meal as the restaurant looked fab from outside and the menu looked good too. We hadn't booked a table and were made to feel that we were very lucky to get one despite the fact that people arrived without booking throughout our visit and all got tables.
The food was average, I had the vegetarian lasagne which I enjoyed but it would have benefitted from some salad on the plate. My husband's pasta dish was very greasy and my son had a standard looking pizza. Overall we felt the food was expensive but average.
The service was fine, although a fresh jug of water took a very long time to arrive. We noted that the wine glasses of the table next door were topped up far more enthusiastically by the waiter.

1  Thank Amelia G
Kiwichef, Owner at bel cibo, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2014

Thank you for your review although I am more than a little bemused by it.
If you want a salad we have 4 to choose from. I'm not sure what pasta your husband had but greasy is how I describe ' bad fish n'chips'. Some of our pastas are finished with EVO oil imported from Italy, certainly not greasy & a staple of Italian cuisine. I also don't know what a standard pizza is, the fast food chain stores have butchered quality pizza's & I do wonder is this your standard?
I have said before & I'll repeat this again, I do not call my suppliers asking for the cheapest, budget products for anything we use here & that is reflected in the prices we charge. We are not a cheap restaurant & we are far away from an expensive one, a lot comes down to personal perception, see our other reviews. As for not pouring your free tap water fast enough I do apologise however, when customers are paying for something that will always be the staff's priority.Thanks.