“A touch overrated”

The Beach Shack Restaurant
Ranked #40 of 133 Restaurants in Port Douglas
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A local favourite, "The Shack" introduces you to a truly tropical Port Douglas dining experience with a wonderful mix of funky ambiance and laid back Queensland style. An eclectic mix of sandy floor, colourful lanterns, and a chill out bar with comfy couches, "The Shack" offers a delicious restaurant menu or more relaxed pizza bar menu. Come in for a beer and a pizza or a bubbles and tapas - it's what the locals do! Bookings for the restaurant are absolutely essential to guarantee a table!
Reviewed March 10, 2019 via mobile

This place is hyped up in terms of its pizza, and whilst I can’t say it was bad, it certainly wasn’t great. In fact, I think a lot of the ratings are based on the fact that this place is accessible to those that are not at the Macrossan end of town, and also indicative of the lack of good pizzas available in Port Douglas. A lot of restaurants have a pizza but in reality, the only ‘Pizza only’ place is The Pizza Shop off Macrossan which really only does takeaway. Anyway, back to the Shack. Perhaps a novelty for some with the Sandy floors, but just feels like a dodgy pub to be honest. Service was average, and as you’re in a largely residential area, it just a touch weird to be perfectly honest. Unless you’re dying to get away from Macrossan, it simply want a local pizza delivered, I think you have many better choices.

Date of visit: September 2018
3  Thank CrackersCritique

Reviewed February 15, 2019

Last night was the second time we attempted to go to The Beach Shack. It said it was open on the website, but as we had turned up to it being closed int he past we thought we would phone and check and make a booking. We asked for a booking for 3 at the beach shack and then drove the 30 min out there to find out it was closed for the wet season. We pointed out we had made a booking , turns out they just booked us into the restaurant despite us clearly stating the beach shack for pizza. So another hour long return drive and no food. Very frustrating.

2  Thank Kd68Cairns_Australia
Reviewed February 8, 2019 via mobile

The Beach Shack was just what we imagined it to be sandy floors and great food.. the relaxed atmosphere and friendly staff made a fantastic mix for a pleasant meal.

Reviewed February 7, 2019

As Port Douglas locals, we’ve visited this restaurant many times over the years, and always enjoyed our meals there. So when we were invited to join other family members at a celebratory Dinner for our nephew’s 21st Birthday we were looking forward to a lovely evening.

A table for 10 had been booked for 7pm. When we arrived there were no other diners. Our table , set up against a side wall, comprised 3 mismatched tables pushed together, one of which had a table cloth on, the other two didn’t.

I’ve always enjoyed the steaks there, so that’s what I ordered on this occasion. But in any case, presumably because we went outside of the tourist season, the menu was extremely limited, with fewer choices than on even a Pub menu.

When my meal arrived, the fresh vegetables looked nice but they were cold, as was the plate. The steak was very tough, so much so that my husband said he would swap with me, as his looked a little bit better. But that steak was also really tough. I tried one of the sweet potato scallops which accompanied the (cold) fresh vegetables, and discovered that it too was completely cold, and as it was really just the thinnest of slices of sweet potato encased in a great mass of fatty batter, it too was extremely unappealing.

Because it was such a special family occasion, I did not want to cast a dampener on the proceedings by making a big fuss, so I slipped quietly away from the table and told the two wait staff who were standing nearby that my meal was simply not up to scratch and since I was not going to be able to eat it, I did not intend to pay for it. The waitress simply said “Thank you for bringing that to our attention”. I was not offered a replacement dish. At no point had a member of staff come around to our tables to ask of everything was to our satisfaction.

When the bill was brought over at the end of the meal, my husband glanced at it and saw that we had in fact been charged for all 10 meals. As it was a family occasion, the bill was simply going to be divided evenly among everyone, so while people were sorting out their money, I again slipped away, to talk quietly to the wait staff to say, “Look, I think you’ve made a mistake with the bill, as weve been charged for my uneaten meal”. Whereupon was rudely told that I’d been served the meal and it had simply been my choice not to eat it, so it would have to be paid for. No apologies were offered.

Obviously I was unhappy with their attitude so asked to have a word with the manager. Without even introducing herself, she just said “I’m the Manager. What’s your problem?” I told her that at the commencement of the meal I had voiced my complaint to the wait staff. Her only reply was to say that I’d been offered a replacement meal, which simply had not been the case. When I said that I really didn’t think that we should be asked to pay for a meal which had not been eaten, she stepped right forward, pointing her finger right into my face she said “You WILL pay for that meal. “ Her aggression was quite shocking.

By then the communal bill had already been settled, and everyone from our group was leaving. But for me the evening had been completely ruined. it hadn’t been about saving the cost of one meal, because as we we were all sharing the bill it would have saved us about $3 or $4 dollars. It was just the disappointment of being served a substandard meal and then being treated like some sort of criminal for not wanting to pay for what we had not received.

The following day my husband and I went to the local police station to file a complaint about the incident.

6  Thank Victoria C
Reviewed February 1, 2019 via mobile

Went on our first night in Port Douglas, despite the rain coming down were still able to enjoy the outdoor seating ( covered area).
Food nice and later found out reasonably priced for area. At first thought it was expensive.
Didn’t go back as wanted to try other places.
Tip-ground area is mostly sand outdoors so best to wear flat shoes and use bushman’s spray Before hand to keep sandflies, mozzies, flies away.

Date of visit: January 2019