“Excellent Operation Great Way to Experience the Reef”

Passions of Paradise Reef Tour
Book In Advance
More Info
$131.80*
and up
Great Barrier Reef Snorkel and Dive Cruise from Cairns by Luxury Catamaran
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Experience the Great Barrier Reef aboard Passions of Paradise, the current Australia Tourism Award Winner (Adventure Tourism)Sailing daily, let our friendly, dedicated staff introduce you to another world teeming with exotic fish life, coral gardens, and spectacular views. Visit Michaelmas Cay, and our exclusive Paradise Reef location, away from the crowds.Every afternoon, our bar opens, and guests relax in comfort as we raise the sails and cruise back to Cairns.
Gold Coast
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Operation Great Way to Experience the Reef”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I organised for a trip to the Reef for 15 of my extended family with ages ranging from 1 to 67. I needed something that was small enough to get a relaxed sailing experience on the reef without being over run by other tourists that also catered for a range of ages and swimming abilities.

Passions of Paradise provided an excellent experience for my whole family and one we will remember for along time. The crew are excellent, the boat was fun and comfortable.

I would use them again.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cairns
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best way to see The Reef”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Last week I went to The Reef for the first time as my mum and aunt came to see me on a holiday and they had also never been before. I have never been because I am terrified of swimming but wanted to see The Reef badly after living in Cairns for so long.

It was such an early start to the day and I am not particularly the best morning person but from the moment I arrived their friendly and happy staff have this infectious good mood that got the day going for the word go. We went through all the safety talks and chats about what would be happening for the day, it was very entertaining as the staff are humourous and fun and made it bearable to go through all the "boring" stuff.

There was snorkelling and diving which I didn't end up doing either but both my mother and aunt got in and raved for hours after how amazing it was, I did jump in for a swim and it was really beautiful, so colourful and lots of creatures out and about. Michaelmas Cay was stunning and I got to ride in the glass bottom boat and see all the pretty coral and fish. The boat was really comfortable and I had a great day relaxing with the staff as they spend so much time getting to know everyone and making sure you get everything you want out of your day.

Quietly... lunch was one of the best bits, I heard it was the best lunch on any of the trips, it was really good and just iced the cake on a good day.

A big thank-you to all the stuff for making my first trip to the reef memorable and I hope next time I go out with Passions I am brave enough to do some diving and I know I will go out again! My mum and aunt aren't from here and have not stopped talking about the day, it was very nice to send them home with good memories and knowing they both whinge about everything, Passions must do an impressive job as I didn't hear them whinge once for the first time ever.

2 Thank RhiRhi85
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesome cruise!”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Very beautiful cruise on a beautiful catamaran. Welcoming, helpful crew. Breakfast with coffee or tea with delicious muffins, delicious, plentiful buffet lunch. Both places for the snorkel and the dive were magic. Many things to see, corals, fishes, sharks, tortoises, rays. If you want to take photos, buy a waterproof camera or rent it before taking the boat or pay 49 dollars on board to transfer photos on your key usb.
i truly advice this cruise, it was a beautiful day!!!

2 Thank Justine753
Canberra, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Awesome day on the Great Barrier Reef”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I had a magic day aboard the "Passions of Paradise". The crew are very friendly and professional and the whole day was just perfect. I did an intro dive which was very well handled by their skilled crew. I enjoyed it so much I did a second dive on Paradise Reef. Nobody else volunteered so I was fortunate just to head out with me and the instructor. Another amazing experience!

Highly recommended. We will be back again. I plan to get a dive certification so I can dive without an instructor next time.

1 Thank Steven G
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Unsanitary Snorkels”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

As much as I enjoyed the day out on the catamaran and snorkeling in Michaelmas Cay and the outer reef, I spent the following week recovering from a sore throat I developed from the unsanitary snorkels that were used on the trip. To be fair, I think their "sterilization" practice is similar to other snorkeling tours but that does not excuse the fact that it is disgusting.

The problem is that you stop to snorkel at 2 different locations. First at Michaelmas Cay and then another stop at the outer reef. Between stops, you are asked to deposit your used snorkel back in a tub of water (which appears to have no soap or cleaning solution) to be mixed in with all the other used snorkels. And when you arrive at the second location, you just fish another snorkel out of that disgusting tub. I tried to hold on to my snorkel next to my beach bag but one of the staff members walked around the boat and collected all the equipment between stops.

The next two days, I developed the worst sore throat I have ever had in my life. I had to visit a doctor at the travel clinic in Cairns and he told me that I had picked up a virus or bacterial infection. When I told him that we were forced to use snorkels that others had previously used without a thorough cleaning he was appalled. He said that when he goes out on tours, he prefers to bring his own snorkel equipment. I will listen to his advice the next time.

Visited October 2012
4 Thank Lisa K
OMalleyAdam, Director of Sales at Passions of Paradise Reef Tour, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Hi Lisa and many thanks for taking the time to write this review.

The sanitising of our Snorkel and Dive Equipment is something that we take very seriously on Passions of Paradise.

The buckets that we ask our passengers to place their masks and snorkels into contains a disinfectant to ensure any nasties are killed off before the equipment is used again and the reason we go around and collect the equipment off the deck is to ensure it all makes it into these tubs to be disinfected

We also ensure that all of our SCBUA Diving regulator mouth pieces are disinfected after each use and are ready for the next diver to use.

The procedures we have in place are all in line with Work Place Health and Safety guidelines and we are regularly audited on these procedures.

In response to your review we have now placed a sign on these tubs stating that the water contains a disinfectant and we will also ensure that all crew who conduct our briefings are adding this information to their briefings so there is no confusion and all of our passengers are aware that their equipment is safe and clean to use.

Thank you again for your review and we hope that you enjoyed the rest of your time in Cairns and Australia.

Kind Regards