“One of Cairns best! ”
Review of Tamarind

Tamarind
Reserve with
Tamarind is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 591 Restaurants in Cairns
Cuisines: Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Located in the heart of downtown Cairns, Tamarind elegantly resides within The Reef Hotel Casino. Renowned in Cairns and throughout North Queensland, this award winning restaurant offers a contemporary menu of generously portioned, Asian fusion dishes that showcase the very best in regional produce. Uncompromising technique combines with seasonally selected ingredients to deliver the Tamarind vision of what great cuisine is. The awarded wine list presents over 100 old and new world varietals, carefully selected to complement menu flavours. The house cocktail list takes inspiration from mod-Asian ingredients to deliver bespoke creations, perfect for before or after. Thai artefacts highlight tasteful decor to establish an eclectic ambiance with understated character. Professional service with relaxed delivery completes the experience. Daily degustation menu with or without tailored wine pairings is a signature offering. Brisbane Times Good Food Guide - One Chefs Hat 2014 Australian Good Food Guide - One Chefs Hat 2014 Gourmet Wine Traveller, Wine List of the Year - One Goblet 2012 Restaurant and Catering Association - Awards for Excellence 2012
“One of Cairns best! ”
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

My partner & I dined here just before Christmas last year. The restaurant itself has a very romantic feel to it, and there is plenty of rooms between tables so you don't feel cramped.
The service was excellent, and the food was even better.
I recommend the quail & tuna for entree and the whole baby barramundi for a main.
I thoroughly enjoyed this restaurant, it is one of the best in Cairns.

1 Thank Kylie W

Los Angeles
“Puzzled.”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I'm quite surprised at the high rating given by others as I thought the restaurant was just ok. Part of the problem may be that, finding it too cold inside, I chose to sit outside and not many other customers did.

They seem to forget about you out there, good luck getting any attention after they set the table. On one occasion I ended up having to go back inside to place my order, and on a different occasion to pay for my meal. Staff did not come out to see if I needed anything else after the meal was served.

Breakfast was good. A moderate selection at the buffet, with hot items for an additional (rather steep) cost.

Had the duck curry for dinner. The wait staff said it was one of their most popular dishes, but it was just ok. Duck was rather tough.

Overall breakfast is good value if included in the room rate. For other meals I did much better elsewhere even though I would have preferred the convenience of eating in the same location as where I was staying.

Nick S, Manager at Tamarind, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Thank you for reaching out to us following your dining experience in Tamarind. I am sorry to learn that your expectations were not met on this occasion.

I further apologise for the wait period you experienced whilst being seated in the outside area of the restaurant and sorry that you felt like the wait staff “forgot about you”. While we are often fully booked over our dinner periods, this should not affect your dining experience and all of our front of house team have been made aware of this.

The Penang Duck Curry is one of our most popular dishes and is typically well received. I understand on the particular evening you visited this dish was actually recommended, so it is disappointing to hear that you didn’t enjoy it. Your comments have been passed on to the culinary team at Tamarind, as feedback we receive serves as encouragement for the team to continue improving.

I do hope you are able to return to Tamarind in the future and allow us opportunity to the showcase the food and service for which the restaurant is renowned.

Kindest regards,

Nick Smelik
Restaurant Manager
Gold Coast, Australia
“Go there”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I went to tamarind with my girl friend on a sunday night the restaurant was booked out we didnt have any reservation we still got a table for 2 we didnt want to go anywhere else. for entree we had the tasting plate was just amazing followed by the maroccan chicken and the spicy duck, both excellent. The manager restaurant was very friendly and gave us a 15% discount as we are both in hospitality. everything was great cheers

Brisbane, Australia
“First Class”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I was last here in 2012 and it was the number one place that I wanted to return to with my family on this visit. We were not disappointed. This time we dined with some friends for dinner and breakfast. Dinner was amazing as usual with a wonderful menu and wine selection. The food, dining experience and service was excellent and once again we will talk about it until our next visit. The Tempura Tofu, and Taster plates for entrees as did the barramundi and lamb for dinner rated well. Our group managed to sample just about everyone of the deserts on offer and each was impressive. But it was not only the food, it was the relaxed atmosphere and great service that impressed.

Breakfast is either via the menu or buffet that we chose. There was the usual selection of cereals, fruit, pastries and hot dishes. However it was the pleasant restaurant surround, presentation, quality and tastiness of the food that we found enjoyable.

The sad thing is that everywhere we dined after we left Cairns was judged by my family against this establishment!

Cairns
“Wedding celebration and perfect”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We chose Tamarind for a wedding dinner as we wanted something special and with a sense of occasion. It was perfect. They put of table of ten in a slightly secluded area to the left of where you enter and then spoilt us all night. My daughter is vegan and we had informed them of that so I knew that they would have something ready but they went above and beyond with a special vegan menu presented to my daughter which made her night. The service was excellent, attentive yet non obtrusive and the food was delicious and interesting. They had prepared a dessert treat with love hearts and chocolate dipped strawberries for us and all through the night made the whole group feel very special. It was perfect in every way. Can highly recommend for a special night out.

• Visited February 2014