“Excellent service, delicious selection of food”

Bayleaf Balinese Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 642 Restaurants in Cairns
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Bayleaf Balinese Restaurant has been a well loved and highly regarded restaurant in Cairns for many years, serving authentic Balinese cuisine. This multi award winning restaurant offers a true dining experience. Head Chef Made Upadana was trained in Bali at the highly regarded bumbu bali restaurant and cooking school and worked along side Heinz von Holzen the master chef and respected food writer of the Balinese Cuisine. Our signature banquet menu the Balinese Rijsttafel offers a feast of flavours and is highly recommended.
Reviewed August 9, 2014

From the moment we walked into the restaurant we were made welcome, unlike some other reviews which almost put us off. We had booked earlier in the afternoon as it was a Saturday. So glad we did, they were really popular and we can understand why. Starting with the delightful French/Colombian waiter, Santiago who was excellent. We chose their rijsttafel, a selection of dishes c/w with varying wines. I particular enjoyed their spicy soup. The timing between courses was perfect, not too long or too short. Can thoroughly recommend to others. The atmosphere is also delightful and judging by its popularity we are not the only ones to appreciate it.

1  Thank Julian009
Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Waited forever for our meals only for them to arrive cold. When we eventually got our meals the food was blan and poorly presented. I would not recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank 506Wilma
Reviewed August 6, 2014

A really good Balinese meal in very pleasant surroundings - the fish was particularly good. The service was excellent. A good range of dishes on the menu and a good wine list.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Lovely location and staff the food was average small serves for a huge price.
A few items on the menu were not available, 2 of them were the reason we went.
Wine expensive. Check the menu before you go.

1  Thank 537rox62
Reviewed August 2, 2014

The Bayleaf came highly recommended, and my partner and I were really looking forward to eating here. I see on TripAdvisor that many others have had great experiences. And I have to say -- the food and ambience was amazing. (With respect to the latter, it did get a little chilly outside as the evening went on, so if you'll be sitting outside bring a jacket.)

Unfortunately, our evening was marred by poor service. I don't know what was wrong -- were the chefs having a bad night? did our server not like us? were there new and untrained staff working? -- but things did not go well.

Our hotel's manager called before we left the hotel, to book us a table and make sure we could get in. Happily, they were able to fit us in, despite it being a busy Saturday night. We were seated promptly, outside, and our orders were taken quickly. We ordered the set menu, wanting to try a bit of everything. My boyfriend chose the wine match, but I did not.

The positives: the food was beautifully presented and delicious. I especially liked the dessert course, which had wonderfully matched flavours, and the lamb dish in the main course.

But despite entering the restaurant at 6:30pm, on a busy Saturday night (our hotel's manager noted that they normally try to turn over tables quickly in such circumstances), we were not able to leave until after 9:30pm.

Our starters arrived at 7pm. Our soups arrived at 7:30pm. That was okay -- a half hour between courses is manageable. But our mains did not arrive until 8:30pm (and after we had checked with our server several times to make sure they had not forgotten us), and our dessert finally arrived (another full hour later!) at 9:30pm -- three hours after our arrival.

No exaggeration here; these times are all accurate to within a few minutes, as bizarre and coincidental as that might seem (I took photos on my camera of the food, because of the beautiful presentation, and so have the exact times).

It was almost unbelievable. Our server seemed generally unfriendly and frazzled (perhaps new?) and forgot entirely to bring my boyfriend's wine match for the soup. We had to chase him down. As a different server brought in our mains, he came over with 2 bottles of Fosters beer. We thanked him happily, thinking these were an apology for the lateness of the meal, but he returned a few minutes later to take them back (they were intended for another table).

Finally, after wolfing down dessert, we went up to pay (no way we were going to wait another 30 minutes or an hour for the cheque...). The server did not apologise for the lateness of the meal, and we did not complain -- we were too keen to get out of there.

But to top it all off? As we walked back to our hotel, my boyfriend realised that he had never been served the wine that was supposed to accompany the dessert course. Obviously, since it was nearing 10pm at this point, we were not going to run back and demand our wine (he certainly didn't want it), but it seemed like adding insult to injury.

As I've said, the food and ambience were great. I see that most other people have had great experiences here (certainly no one else appears to have mentioned a 3 hour seating time). So I really don't know what was going on when we were there, but I just hope that someone from the restaurant is reading this and can perhaps ensure this won't happen again.

2  Thank chocmilk03