“A beautiful taste orgasm”
Review of Ochre Restaurant - MOVED

Ochre Restaurant
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Celebrating its 22nd birthday in April 2016, Ochre Restaurant is a local dining institution. Imaginative native food including emu, kangaroo and crocodile as well as a good sampling of Pacific rim-inspired dishes can be found here. An excellent wine list and efficient service. Ochre Restaurant makes dining out a sensory adventure.
Cairns
“A beautiful taste orgasm”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My mum asked me, after sharing some starters and desserts tonight to celebrate her pending 78th birthday, if there was such thing as a food orgasm!! The taste sensations of the dishes we shared are so unique to Nth Qld that I will be looking for similar produce from now on. We were really impressed with the service and all round. Mum is from South Australia where local produce is very different - we both recommend this restaurant to visitors and locals

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Snug, Tasmania, Australia
“Awesome anniversary dinner”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

From the lovely table in the window to the beautiful dessert wine this was a fantastic night out for two avid foodies. Everythine we ate was superb, and I would love the recipe for the red prawn curry on the seafood platter. Catered for gluten free without even rolling their eyes! Happy to answer any questions, the wait staff were friendly and attentive. One small point would be to ensure that new wait staff know the menu thoroughly. Would come again in a heartbeat, if it weren't for the day's flying to get to you. Fancy moving to Hobart?

“Perfect night”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The venue is sweet and small but very clean and well decorated, and the food is absolutely out of this world. I ordered the wallaby whilst my partner order the beef tenderloin, both were fantastic, portions looked small however it is deceiving as we struggled to finish both our dishes. The staff are friendly and have so much knowledge on the wines and the food which is extremely impressive. I could have not asked for a better night. Thank you ochre.

Visited May 2013
geroge4982
“Did not live up to reputation”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Came here for lunch with a friend after wanting to try it for months, and although it was alright it did not live up to it's reputation. I was expecting a lot more from the food. For starters I had a dozen oysters (3 different styles) which were amazing and my friend had the pork belly and scallops which she raved about. After that though I had a seafood platter and she had a game platter and both left a bit to be desired. Her meat was cold and flavorless while my platter was average. The service was good. I will give it another try at some point on hopes it was an off day in the kitchen but won't be recommending it as much as I did before giving it a try.

Paris, France
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best restaurant we did in Australia”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Very nice place. Delicious food for and lovely staff and service. They let us taste between different wines All o choose which on we prefer, very nice ! Recommended if you come here and can afford it.