“Good layout for a hostel - terribly managed”

Global Backpackers Central
Ranked #65 of 83 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed July 23, 2012

When we arrived our first thoughts were 'great layout for a hostel' but the staff were very rude, this is due to the fact that all the staff and management were backpackers working for accommodation. The kitchen was useless as nothing worked and there was no cooking equipment. They close the common room and then everyone piles into the halls to drink so after 10pm there's no one to control the noise so sleep is not guaranteed. They do provide cheap meals at the pub which is good but we would not go back.

Room Tip: Try to get one away from the hallway to minimise noise
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Four of us stayed at Global Backpackers for 3 nights in May. The facilities were great; the rooms were clean and neat, with a convenient ceiling fan, the bathrooms and showers were clean. However, the staff were not helpful. When we were checking out there was a huge line, and one person helping one customer find her reservation to check in. The rest of us had to check out by 10:30, and my friends and I had to catch a flight. Other staff members were around, but not helping out at the desk. The staff also did not seem very knowledgeable about the trips they were selling. We ended up getting great help and service from the Global Backpackers Esplanade, and booked our excursion through them.

Overall, it was good, and other people may not have had the same issues with the staff as we had. We actually met one very helpful staff member, but she was only there one day, and overall, the staff were not accommodating.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 3, 2012

The hostel is in a excellent location, right in the middle of town. The staff at the front desk were relatively helpful however at times they seemed really unhappy.
The bed's were very poor, me and my friend had bed's with springs poking out of the matress, and the mattress being very flat. The rooms were also quiet small.
The main problem with this hostel is that the common room area's including the balcony and kitchen closed at 10pm. At 10pm everyone who was sat watching tv or chatting on the balcony had to find somewhere else to go to. This meant all the noise went to the corridors or bedrooms. This doesn't make sense as the noise is moving to the worst places. This was the main problem, as we didn't want to go to bed and didn't have money to go out into town and had no where to go. The hostel provide's food vouchers for the local pub which was excellent value. To improve this hostel free wi fi and extend common room times.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 21, 2012

My friends and I stayed at this hostel for a little over a week and enjoyed every minute of it.
The staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome!
The advice at reception on the great locations we could visit on our stay made our trip very worth wild. They were great with booking us tours at discounted prices.

Would definantly stay again!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2012

My friend and I stayed in this hostel for 6 nights. Throughout our entire stay all of the staff on reception were unbelievably unfriendly and rude. One receptionist in particular was very rude and we were lucky to get any kind of response any time we approached the desk. We stayed in a four bed dorm which didn't have a window and had much less space than any of the 6-8 bed dorms. The room was cleaned once throughout that week. The bathrooms were an absolute DISGRACE! Seriously I dreaded going into them as they seemed to never get cleaned and the sanitary disposal units were actually overflowing. The kitchen was fine however the fridges appeared to also never be cleaned and were completely full the entire week. To get plastic cutlery and dishes we had to hand over either our passports or credit card. Absolutely ridiculous having to exchange such important documents for plastic. When I collected my passport the receptionist handed over the entire box of passports and honestly I could've helped myself if I wanted to - unbelieveable!! Overall the location is the best thing going for this hostel. It's right in the centre and the $5 meals in PJ O'Reillys next door is fantastic value for money (although I believe the vouchers are available at many other hostels too). I wouldn't recommend staying here as there are other better options in the same location and at a similar price.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Had a nice stay in Cairns, the hostel was well run by the helpful girls on reception who are great for booking trips with at discounted prices. Cleanliness was ok, toilets could do with several cleans a day, the kitchen however always looked immaculate and was very spacious with a cool little balcony with picnic tables. The hostel is in a great building on the inside the only downside was our room. I referred to our twin room as 'prison', just 4 walls and 2 beds. Not even a window. Make sure you ask for a window when you book or you may be surprised. The mattresses were the worst we've come across in Australia, gave me a bad back even. Guess that was just our bad luck with our room. All in all a nice hostel and good value but rooms could be improved.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank tetters2
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We stayed at Global over the Christmas after an immediate exit from Gecko's in Cairns.
The staff at reception were informative and helpful. The staff doing the cleaning were not so good.

I am going to make a point here:
When you are at a backpackers, you put your food and drinks in a bag in the fridge and expect it to remain there. Fair enough, i have stayed in places where your milk might be used or some bread is taken. Broke backpackers, i won't go to war over it.

In Global, TWICE i not only seen the French guy working there drinking my drinks, i actually caught him taking it, watched, confronted him and he tried to say it was out of the fridge on the counter. **BS!** I even had gone as far as to write in permanent marker on my water bottles my name, room number and checkout date. He had no excuse.

This is the guy who cleans everyday.

In Global there are room cleans everyday.

In all honesty, how am i supposed to trust the staff in Global if they cannot keep there hands off a cold bottle of water with my wallet, iPod, laptops etc...

I think they need a serious look at who is there cleaning. Check out the cameras or something!

I was so angry about this. Only for my girlfriend calmed me down i was on route to reception to report him and have him sacked. (A bit unfair for a bottle of water but it is the principle!)

He claimed "oh, i was cleaning the fridge, etc..blah blah..) I walked him to the fridge, opened it. Pulled out mouldy bread, squashed eggs and gone off milk. Didn't do to good of a job i see. But yet you found your way into my cooler bag to my water!?

Unacceptable, plain and simple..

Next point, as mentioned, the fridges.

CLEAN THEM!

The air-con unit dripped water onto my pillow. On my face!
Avoid room 4!

There is a serious lack of natural light. Every other hostel i would be up at 6-7 am with the light, in Global you do not know if it is 6am or 2pm! Very dark rooms.

The kitchen is big, but you must hand in 2 forms of id at reception for a plate,cup,bowl,knife,fork and spoon. WTF?

On the plus side, $5 meal deal for JB O'Reillys! So why would you cook??

Cheaper to go next door and get a steak and a middy beer.

Altogether, not a great stay. If you stay in a dorm you can get really cheap i think $13per night. Ok if you really want to cheap it!

Double room, not worth $48!

Room Tip: Stay away from room 4. Air-con will drip on your pillow!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple