“Great food, wine and service”

Taste Of China Restaurant
Ranked #279 of 642 Restaurants in Cairns
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is quality chinese dining in an informal setting. Good wine list and staff with a sense of humour. Sechwan chef produces as good as I have tasted in Sechwan itself.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Nice surrounds not bad service
However I ordered squid dusted with5spice for entree that was ok
For main I ordered fried rice with seafood & curry sauce
This looked bad & tasted very bland It was 95% rice with a few minuscule prawns tossed in with a splurge of very poor curry sauce
It was soggy & the sort of meal a poor housewife with screaming kids would nosh up in 5 minutes
They offered me more seafood which I knocked back
& was over priced to the max

Reviewed October 13, 2012

The food is excellent with traditional Chinese meals available. Everything is fresh, with a great array of seafood dishes on the menu and the service is friendly and prompt. I have been to this restaurant regularly over the last 8 years and continue to return whenever I am in Cairns.

1  Thank Alice C
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I visited the restauran with my wife on our round the world trip. We had a banquette dinner with three starters, two main courses to share and ice cream as desert. The food was ok but nothing special. The price of the meal was relatively high and the service was a little bit so and so.

1  Thank K-JA_Finland
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Now I know many of us question the menu in Chinese restaurants, is their a Caucasian menu and an authentic Chinese menu with all the good stuff like chicken cartilage and port cheek. If so why do we suffer the sticky sauces and radioactive food dyes - I guess the best answer is that it invokes a sense of comfort and nostalgia. Just stepping in the stylized ornate room with the red and gold features, dirty fish-tank with huge fish and those tacky but necessary lanterns made me reminisce to my childhood and all the family get togethers at the local Chinese restaurant where we would stuff ourselves full of msg laden iridescent Sweet and Sour Pork.

A two for one coupon (yes I know - we should just expect what we pay for..) took us to Taste of China in the Cairns CBD for a (probably) pseudo Chinese meal, that and lil Miss impickles was going through a faze of only wanted to eat spring rolls. We were greeted by an elderly couple (the owners, I guess?) and shown to one of the many spare tables. We decided to go old school and ordered the spring rolls(for lil Miss) and Pork Ribs in Orange sauce and Peking Duck and the obligatory white steamed rice on the side.

The rolls arrived quickly and not long after the Pork Ribs made their entrance. As we expected they were an interesting shade of bright orange, sticky and with a decorative side garnish of curled orange and a sprig of parsley. The pork was juicy, sticky and slightly tart. A tasty sticky treat but the deep fried batter under the orange gooey sauce suggests that this is a dish eaten less more than often. More of this sauce would have been good to mop up with the steamed rice.

The other classic that we shared was the Peking Duck. A half duck was simply presented, pre-sliced and again decorated with a carrot and parsley garnish. When the Cairns to China flights get up and running I am going to China especially to see if sprigs of parsley are as rampant in Chinese restaurants in China.........
Anyhow, the duck was tasty, but being cooked whole I found that the juicy moist thighs were cooked perfectly and the breast a little dry. The skin was crispy in parts and a little fatty and flabby in others. The sauce however was moreish and again we wished for more!

Lil Miss loved her spring rolls...They were the standard Chinese takeaway style, nothing outstanding. We may go back as they do lunch specials or a banquet style (they have a multi course on option). A tasty nostalgic journey.