“Stunning food at Dundees”

Dundee's Restaurant on the Waterfront
Ranked #25 of 612 Restaurants in Cairns
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Overlooking Trinity Inlet at the Waterfront Harbour Lights, Dundee's Restaurant and Kickstart on the Waterfront at Dundees captures three ingredients -- great food, great location and perfect ambience. Dundees has a friendly, relaxed atmosphere in which couples, parties and families can all feel welcome at any time of the day. Dundee's specialises in Australian beef, fresh seafood, pasta and salads, there is a dish to cater for every tastebud. Kickstart is the perfect place to Kickstart your day. It offers hearty and healthy breakfast and brunch options in the morning
Cairns, Australia
“Stunning food at Dundees”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The choice of food was excellent, prices were great. Location was stunning over the water. Have been back a few times and have never been disappointed

Visited January 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Queensland
“Best Waterfront Waterfront Restaurant”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Dundees have an excellent lunch menu which is reasonably priced. The food is good and the staff and management are most attentive. The Seafood Platter is a winner with mud crab claws, and a good variety of other seafood. It is pleasant to have a lovely view of Cairns Harbour while dining.

Visited February 2013
Worcester, MA
“Best Seafood Chowda”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We are from New England, USA and Dundees has the best seafood chowder we have ever had. It was so good that we went back a second time and it was even better. They also had great oysters, softshell crabs and prawns.

• Visited March 2013
geroge4982
“Great food, average service”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Went there twice last week on my days off because I was craving the oysters after the first time which was two days earlier. My first experience was with two of my girlfriends and the food was fantastic, yet service not of matching quality. It wasn't horrible by any means, just unattemtive and no eye for detail. With the quality of food, and the price (over 200 for three of us at lunch) the service levels should be up to par. That day we all split a dozen of the chefs choice oysters (natural with seaweed, wasabi mayo and an amazing ginger shallot dressing) which were incredibly fresh and addicting making me order an additional half dozen by myself, and then my girlfriends had lunch specials while I had the chilled bugs and prawns (I had first ordered the chefs choice main which was listed on the board as yellowfin tuna, but was told it had been changed to a 250 gram rump steak). My meal was amazing anyway and my friends were satisfied with theirs as well. We then all shared a trio of desserts. Throughout the meal we were often waiting for plates to be cleared or drinks offered but the guy serving us was friendly. Once we got our dessert we were ignored and left to chat which was all good until we were ready to leave and had to hunt someone down to get our bill. Once we received it we had to go to the front and find someone to cash us out. When we asked to split the bill two ways we were given a rude response by the manager as if it wasn't possible, but I showed her how to do it in their system as we use the same one at my work and this shut her up.

As I said unreturned again two days later. This time was for lunch as well but on a Tuesday, so it wasn't very busy. I had the exact same meal except with my own dozen oysters (same chefs choice which I was happy about, and still with chefs choice main listed as tuna but unavailable). Being a slow time the service was even more lacking then when they were a bit busier on Sunday. We waited at the door for ten minutes before walking in further to be seated, and then for our drinks for fifteen minutes (a beer and a glass of wine which we eventually had to inquire about before they were served, wine being wrong but I didn't complain). The girl who served us was a friendly Japanese girl who I believe must have been a runner. She didn't have knowledge about anything on the menu but at least made a bit of an effort unlike the other people walking around aimlessly. My boyfriend liked his ribs and brushetta and because I am hooked on the oysters we will return again.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank geroge4982
ypsilanti
“Great views and food.”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Sit outside in the breeze or inside in AC. The Aussie Combo includes kangaroo, alligator satays with peanut sauce, buffalo and an excellent red cabbage slaw.At the end of the meal you will get a certificate commemorating your experience. Fun. But Taste of the Sea is the best option. It comes in a large standing wire container with Spanish mackerel (Walu and the best I have ever had) shrimp, calamari, and scallops with the roe. Simple but absolutely delicious. The rocket salad with a dusting of cheese is fresh and light. The ginger, date sticky pudding with ice cream makes a good ending to a delightful meal.

• Visited January 2013