“Fragmented service and intervals of dishes”

Cafe China Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #334 of 623 Restaurants in Cairns
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2013

For those of you thinking about taking your lady friend to this venue...my advice think again.
This restaurant has the capacity to hold 300 plus up to 500-600. Focus is on tour groups etc.

We arrived tonight just after 6pm. Place was full of tourists on fixed price package - I will get back to them later.
Hive of activity as tables were cleared and larger tables replaced with smaller tables.

Mature female waitress took our order - Bottle of Mitchell Watervale Riesling $45.00
Sadly that was last we saw of her.
Young female waitress - not uniform came up so we ordered 4-5 dim sums including Seafood Sang Chow Bow $22.80 - 2 pieces. Now Sang Chow Bow should be eaten by rolling up ice bird lettuce and using hands. Dish had far too much liquid. texture of some ingredients was chewy, impossible to eat in hands without it going over clothes.
No sooner had we finished that when Peking Duck that we specified we wanted as main along with Spicy Salt Calamari arrive. Sent it away. 15 minutes later our Shanghai dumplings with ginger arrived and another 10 minutes later our steam prawn and chives dumplings arrived. Cost of these is $11.20 for 4 pieces.

After a reasonable period mains of Spicy Salt Calamari and steam rice arrived $29.80 and 4 pieces of Peking Duck $22.00 arrived.

Waiter/waitress service was intermittent. We did not have same wait person attending the table so no continuity of service and interval arrival of dishes left a lot to be desired. If you having dim sum starters they should all arrive together to be shared.

Wine service was in line with the above food service. Poured myself last drinks

Wait staff not kitted out professionally some in jeans etc.

I have been to some busy Chinese restaurants - think City Hall in Maxxium Building in Central Hong Kong - they service and attention to detail would leave this place for dead.

We spent $150.00 and came away dissatisfied. At no time do you feel as though you are engaged with the wait staff, the food and the kitchen which are all part of the dining experience.

So if you fancy a night of Chinese food with the good lady and want to be snipped for $150.00 and sit there while package groups get served clearly on cheaper prices - yes I came away think we were subsidising the package groups then go to Café China - for me I would suggest there are has to be other venues in Cairns for half the price and double the value.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Café China is probably one of the best Chinese restaurant in the CBD.
The food is tasty (i ate a duck laksa noddles something, haha I don't remember the name exactely) and it was really yum.
The service is good and polite.

My only negative point to me would be the air conditioning who's really cold. I was there with just a t shirt and a short on me and i was freezing!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Really good value cafe, we eat outside of regular dining hours and the service was great, food came out extremely fast. Lots of variety, generous sizes, cheap beer. We will be back.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Great food and service an amazing variety of dishes and very authentic too - consistently the best chinese in Cairns!

1  Thank chinatraveller
Reviewed June 25, 2013

A student who is origianlly from China came up from Melbourne and took my family to this restaurant. The food was great, and service was excellent (we were a small group of 4 so maybe this was the difference, and we got there early). It's the best Chinese food I have had since I lived in Melbourne (we grew up going to China town in the city and having great food). I thought everything was authentic and delicious. Wasn't cheap, I don't think (we didn't have to pay but judging by the menu prices). The fried chicken was great! We had lots of dishes and they were all excellent. For a real taste of China in cairns, I would recommend it (a special ocassion....too expensive for a regular night out).