“Lovely and luxurious!”

Cairns Harbour Lights
Ranked #18 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 14, 2009

My husband and I spent 3 nights at this hotel - we were using it as a base for our trips to the Great Barrier Reef and Kuranda. The hotel is on the edge of the harbour so is near some nice restaurants overlooking the water and a few minutes further to walk into the shops of Cairns. We actually ended up getting upgraded to an apartment - they'd over booked the standard rooms so as we'd booked quite early we were lucky enough to be upgraded. The apartment was very luxurious with a nice big bed, kitchen area and flatscreen TV. The only downside was that the pillows were very uncomfortable! They were so new and firm I found them too hard to sleep on as they gave me neck ache so I ended up using a spare blanket to sleep on. Overall, we enjoyed our stay - very modern and clean with good facilities and location.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KatherineY
There are newer reviews for Cairns Harbour Lights

Reviewed January 19, 2009

We stayed at the Sebel Harbour Lights for 3 nights in total over the New Year Period.
It is in a great location within walking distance to a variety of resturants, railway station and shopping centres.
It is a new hotel, so the rooms are trendy and fresh.
The higher levels have a better view, simply overlooking parts of the marina.
We stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment for the first 2 nights, which was very spacious with a kitchen, lounge room, bedroom and bathroom (shower only).
The front desk staff were always polite and we had no trouble leaving our luggage here for 2 nights before returning to a studio apartment for another night. Greeted with a welcome back card and some chocolates, this room was also spacious, with a large wardrobe area, and a small bar fridge.
Whislt there is no restaurant as part of the hotel, you are only footsteps away from numerous ones that are situated below.
The charge for room service / delivery from any of these restaurants is quite pricey.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 18, 2008

I stayed in the Cairns at the harbour lights for one night with some family in a one bedroom apartment. Overall, I would recommend the hotel purely based on the location. I would certainly agree with other reviewers that the design of the building is rather sterile and clinical..
However on the upside it is very clean,the one bedroom apartment was perfect for us and very centrally located to all the tourist attractions. The pool,gym and sauna was a great facility that we all enjoyed.
Our room had a fairly good view,although I can see how,by the design of the building that some would have a much better view than others.

All in all it was a pleasant experience and I would stay there again as I felt that it was also good value for money.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed November 16, 2008

What can I write about this hotel and make it sound interesting ... hmm not much.
The thing about this facility is that I expected something more, and it was sooo UN-everything!
Yes it’s new and yes the location alone is perfect for those people looking for the views and the water front of what Cairns city is. However as hotels go and what you want them to be in a place like Cairns... I found the front desk, to the hall ways of the hotel, to the (Micro LCD) in room TV, to the bed, to the décor, completely and utterly soulless, austere and boring.
I was in Cairns on business, if you are coming to Cairns for that special time as many do, I could recommend other places with heart and warmth (by Cairns Standards).

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank MrHobbs
Reviewed October 25, 2008

Odd hotel. Very good location right on the harbour a few blocks from central Cairns. Room was quite sterile with the smallest TV I've ever seen tucked way up in the corner. May be worth splurging for the 1 bedroom suite which has a living room. I understand the company mainly manages apartments which may explain why the whole place feels like a "display suite". The internet (plug in) was down for the full 3 days I was there. It is hard to accept that in 2008, paying well over $100/night. The front staff is...nice-ish. They were laid back to the point of coolness. When asked directly and specifically, they were quite helpful.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank FcdVancouver
Reviewed October 15, 2008

Stayed for 6 nights at Aus$170 per night, while attending a conference at the convention centre which is only 5 mins away. The hotel is located right next to the marina where the boats that cruise to the reef leave from. So the view is excellent, and there is a small amount of noise but not much. I stayed in a hotel style room that did not have a kitchen. The balcony was a little small, but the view made up for it. The room was a decent size with a large bathroom and great shower (no bath), and a separate wardrobe area. The decor is pretty minimalist but fresh and clean. A decent size TV, kettle, fridge, and a huge range of food delivery brochures. Aparently many of the larger one and two bedroom apartments are for sale, so I guess people must live there. The lobby is spacious, the staff mostly friendly (like when I left my door key in the room and realised after midnight!), and there is a lovely pool overlooking the main esplanade and a useful gym and sauna. My only gripe was the sales pitch on arrival offering me an upgrade for only a Aus$20 per night if I moved to a one-bedroom with no sea view - this would be ok but i didn't like the attitude and the advice that I had to decide as soon as I'd seen my room - I felt pressured, jet lagged and that i wasn't getting a good deal. The restaurant downstairs was the tonic - great food and service and lovely atmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank lizar20
Reviewed October 12, 2008

We booked into the studio harbour view for one night. It is perfect for a quick stay; everything was clean, the King bed was comfortable and the bathroom is reasonably sized. The balcony overlooking the harbour is lovely. When they say "harbour view" they really mean it as the hotel is placed directly in front of the harbour, and you can see everything from the bedroom window. We were not woken by the sounds of boats (as other comments have suggested), but we did find that the flatscreen television was possibly the smallest flatscreen television in existence. If you plan on watching TV it would be advisable to stay in a one bedroom rather than a studio, but for a quick stay the studio was great. The location is ideal as well, with the city and the harbour in walking distance. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Tartikular