“Rats and a rude manager - No joke” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Northern Greenhouse
Ranked #8 of 89 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
London
“Rats and a rude manager - No joke”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2009

This place appeared nice at first but at night sitting in the tv room a rat ran by, I screamed and one of the lads said 'ah theres always a few rats runnin by there. Thats why I dont stay on the ground floor!" I booked for a week and the rooms are spacious but its not worth staying there the cleaners where rude but the manager was much worse. I lost my bank card and a girl that worked there told me the manager Dave found it in the bar, read my name and goes propably some Irish tramp, I'm english but 2 of the girls with me are Irish. When I asked for it he then said he hadn't seen it!! I found the girl Sheena that worked there and she said it is there he just thinks your Irsih and doesnt like them I'll get it and she did..I couldnt believe someone running a hostel could be so racist!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ammit
NorthernGreenhouse, Guest Relations Manager at The Northern Greenhouse, responded to this review, August 7, 2011
Dear Ammit,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear you did not have a nice time at our hostel. Can you please e-mail me directly at questions@friendlygroup.com.au so we can resolve these issues. Thank you again for the feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2009

My friends and I were very pleasantly surprised by the Northern Greenhouse. Our family room (a set of bunks and two single beds) was very clean and, whilst not glamourous, perfectly servicable for a few days' holiday. A mini-kitchenette and not having to share a bathroom with stangers were definite perks! The staff perhaps require a little more training but are overall very friendly and willing to help. The location is perfect - central but not noisy. Our favourite feature was the pool - impeccably clean, perfect temperature and essential in the tropical climate! Most of our time in the hostel was spent there :)

There is also a bar with cheap drinks ($2 tequila shots, anyone?) and a nice lounge area with an amusingly large fan, and free internet. The free breakfast is ultra-basic (tea and toast) but the kitchen is very clean. It didn't seem to be a party hostel while we were there, but close enough to the nightlife to ensure everyone had a great time!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank sydney_beach_gal
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

In six months travelling, this was the best hostel I ever stayed in. Rooms were spacious, the place was amazingly clearn, facilities were excellent, location was perfect and there were so many freebies. Still recommending it to everyone I meet who plans to go to Cairns. Christine, England

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Supercrw
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2008

Compared to some of the other hostels we have stayed in, this was heaven! We enquired into this hostel after not liking our original booked one, and the manager allowed us to walk in and have a tour, and we immediately loved the place. From the open deck, the friendly people staying and the staff, to the free breakfasts and activities, I am actually gutted to think I will not find another hostel like this. Thank you so much for my stay and I know I will be recommending this place to so many of my friends in the future.

Stayed November 2008
1 Thank emmabird
DUBLIN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2008

Having left our original hostel in Cairns after 3 days in filth, we booked into the Northern Greenhouse where we were blown away. The standard of the rooms was extremely high, (ours had a private bathroom), and the staff were friendly and efficient. Even the pool was immaculate! Overall, our experience in Northern Greenhouse was great!

• Stayed September 2008
1 Thank DublinKrystal
Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2008

We have stayed two nights at the Northern Greenhouse. We booked a double room with private bath via the internet.

Our room was located on the first floor. It was equipped with a double bed, closet, TV, kitchenett including microwave. kettle and fridge and a dining table with chairs. There was a terrace as well facing the pool area and equipped with a two chairs and a table.

The room has been clean and quite spacious. There were some ants though I believe this is a quite common in tropical Cairns. We used our insect repellent and they were gone so it did not become a major issue.

They offer complimentary off-street parking and 30 min. internet access.
The room rate included a complimentary though very basic continental breakfast as well which we tried once and which was ok.

The location of the hostel is great, just a 5 minute stroll the market place and about 10 min to the lagoon.

Staff has been friendly though we only met for check-in and -out. Obviously it is not possible to book a certain room so you need to take what you get (thats what I think to be a bit strange but we do not know the other rooms so we can not tell if this might be a problem but our room has been fine).

At the bar area they offer a movie night every night which lasts until about 10:30 pm so if you are an "early sleeper" you might experience difficulties due to noise though we have not been bothered. As we had our "private" TV we did not attend that movie nights but movies shwon seemed to be quite new (e.g. "300").

The hotel is strictly no BYO as they have a licensed bar as well but we had a beer or two in our room to accompany dinner. But liquer seems to be quite cheap at the hostel bar according to the advertisement they make.

All in all it has been a really good and inexpensive alternative to a hotel stay and we could recommend staying here.

• Liked — Location, spacious rooms, price
  • Disliked — ants
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank feuersteinwilma
Dear Feuerstein Wilma,
Thank you for taking the time to right your kind review. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed our facilities. We take pride in offering guests a comfortable and relaxing place to stay. Thanks again for your feedback.
Vancouver, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2008

Valter was the best part of this establishment. We contacted this place through email to set up accommodations for ourselves and traveling companions. Valter was very knowledgeable and helpful -- patient with all of our questions even before we arrived. Although this was a backpacker, it was good for a week's stay for us as well. I would say all staff except one were also very helpful and accommodating of guest needs. This place was centrally located and provided a good base for us to see the local sights!

• Liked — Valter; location & access to internet
  • Disliked — one staff member (who hopefully is no longer there) was a bit short with us BUT overall staff was really excellent in providing service
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple