“Excellent studio and great hosts”
Review of Reef Palms

Reef Palms
Ranked #3 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Suresnes, France
“Excellent studio and great hosts”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We've stayed at Reef Palms only one night, but this is one of the best hotels we stayed in Australia with the same price range. The studio is fully equipped (kitchen with dishes, fridge, microwave, etc.), with a big sofa, very clean bathroom and there is a queen size bed. When we arrived early in the morning the lady at the reception was really helpful in suggesting us the tour to Fitzroy Island. We could leave our bags there even if our room was not ready. Moreover, having an early flight in the morning, she offered us to use the laptop and internet connection for free to check-in online. The only downside is the position, that is quite far from the port (and thus the boat to the islands) and the centre (20-25 minutes on foot). Anyway, I would definitely recommend it and come back again!

1 Thank zmyrna
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, David and I hope you enjoyed Fitzroy Island. The weather has been beautiful here with sunny days and mild evenings. We appreciate that some of the flights into Cairns arrive quite early so we try to make guests comfortable or send them on a tour until we are able to check them into their studio so thank you for your recognition of that. We hope to see you again in the future, Maybe a trip to the outer Reef next time! Take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed a comfortable stay in the very well equipped studio. Courtesy bus into Cairns and airport transfer were a bonus. Good 15 minute walk along the esplanade into Cairns. A must see are the Botanical gardens which are in walking distance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 256Heather
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for writing, hope you can stay longer next visit. We have just had a huge triathalon event here in Cairns, very exciting, we had many athletes stay with us and it was great to hear how they all went. Some of our guests were so inspirational, one man in particular who came off his bike midway through the 180km ride and still had the 42km run to complete. He finished, the race - what a champion! We meet so many wonderful people from all over the world, we are blessed to be able to live and work in this great place. Our busy season is fast approaching and are gearing up for a very busy season. Take care and hope to see you again in the future.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Picked this one based on trip advisor reviews/price balance. We got a great value.

Check-in late and had keys waiting (made arrangements at booking). Easy to find and ample parking. Room was confusing (was listed as ground floor but actually one floor up). No worries.

Had to get a chit for wireless access (only 6 hrs). Only used 3 so again no worries.

Used the clothes washer/dryer - $3 to wash & $3 to dry. Got change at the front desk. Brought our own soap. Worked well.

Service was great. Would stay here again.

1 Thank bstrvl55711
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for writing and for staying with us. David and I were very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Glad to hear the WiFi Vouchers are working OK, we have only recently started offering internet access for free - not hitches so far. Can report that the weather in Cairns is absolutely beautiful now, I am sitting here in our "Winter" in shorts and tee shirt, ahh life in the tropics, you just have to love it. Take care.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights and had a great time. I was traveling solo in Australia and after spending 8 days in the hustle and bustle of Sydney, my 6 days in Cairns was the best way to enjoy the rest of my vacay! First the location is fantastic! You can walk to Cairns CBD and there are restaurants/markets close by. My room was fantastic; it had a fully equipped kitchenette plus a grill by the pool. The best part was the friendly and helpful owners Sharon and Dave who made my stay very enjoyable. I had arrived a bit early for check in so Sharon was able to sit down with me and discussed what I liked to do and she recommended tour companies that she saw fit with my preferences and helped me get more for my money:)! I had a fantastic time in Cairns and it would not have been possible had I not stayed at Reef Palms and met the owners that are passionate about what they do and love their city. I highly recommend Reef Palms! I can't wait to have the opportunity to visit Cairns again! Thanks Sharon & Dave. Madamo guid nga salamat->this one is for you Dave!:)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank cfo12
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
You were great, even when your trip to Fitzroy was mucked up you made the best of the situation and still enjoyed trip to Green Island. I loved hearing about your adventures each day. The world is really a small place and David enjoyed practising his language skills with you even if he was a bit rusty. We'd love to have you come back, maybe a job in the hospitals here would lure you back to Cairns! Take care, it was lovely to have you as a guest.
Ipswich
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed in a downstairs studio apartment for 3 nights. The bed was very comfortable, room always clean and tidy, quiet locality, the managers friendly, obliging, willing to shuttle you free of charge to Cairns CBD and airport transfers. I would recommend this establish to everyone.

Room Tip: If you are elderly or disabled I would suggest you advise that you need a bath/shower with a grap ra...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Greg M
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
It was great chatting to you each day, we often say what a small world it is, you worked with my father many years ago and I was able to put you in touch with him - it is certainly a small world!
We enjoyed meeting you and hope that if you decide to come visit Cairns again, you will again come and stay with us. Take care of those feet!
Denny, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights and was our last stop in Australia! Family run hotel and the staff couldnt have been nicer! Room was very clean and had everything we needed. Its a 20 min walk into the city centre but easily done! If not buses are right round the corner. They have a great bbq area for guests which is a good option instead of eating out. Best part for us was the advice given by the owner on the trips to choose as there were so many! Had allthe information and made it bery easy. Would recommend and definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank MLB444
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
David calls me the "Tour Queen" I must confess I absolutely love booking tours for all my guests and making sure they receive value for money, with so many trips on offer it is important to me that you spend your money wisely. We love to hear how you day was and get feedback about the trip we have sent you on, this in turn, helps us select trips for our guests for the future. We are all so happy you enjoyed your stay with us, Thankyou.
Hamilton & Waikato Region, New Zealand
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We stayed 2 nights and found everything very good. Booked the Spa Studio and it was very comfortable. The bed was lovely with the topper pad. Owners are very pleasant which is always a bonus. Walked to the Cock and Bull for a couple of drinks and stayed far too long. Spent a day with Skyrail and Kuranda train and it was nice to come back to a nice quiet spot.

1 Thank Ishkaa
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
I don't think you can ever stay too long at the Cock and Bull - well, not past closing time anyway! Thank you for writing, we are glad you liked our beds, many of our guests comment about how comfortable they are. David and I hope you would choose to stay with us again if you are in Cairns.