Tripadvisor
Cairns
Open today: 6:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Review Highlights
Beautiful trip but the experience felt quite money hungry

We did the Introductory Scuba Diving day trip. We had a beautiful day out on the reef. It was... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
fig0001
Melbourne, Australia
Day dive trips

My partner and I are experienced divers and booked on two day trips to the outer reef with CDC. The... read more

Reviewed December 28, 2019
smm_on_roam
Sydney, Australia
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Cairns
from $110.35
from $120.38
from $130.41
from $56.18
More Info
All reviews day trip the great barrier reef fitzroy island fish open water these guys great instructor the reefs food was great outer reef moore reef diving experience rough seas crew members sea life special thanks big thanks
Selected filters
Reviewed January 20, 2020

We just finished our PADI Open Water Certification and I was blown away with how professional this company is!
We had one of the best times in our life taking the certification with CDC (especially with Joey as our instructor).
We had Joey as our instructor and believe me that this woman is goddamn amazing both on land and in the water, she’s such a good teacher and also diver!! Wow wow wow! Recommend all day!!

Besides that this company possibly has the cheapest price to become an certified-diver, you’ll also have the funniest time, become the best diver you possibly can from a PADI Open Water Course & of course dive to see the beautiful Great Barrier-reef!

Go ahead and book your course with CDC, don’t even think about anything else!! ‍♂️
You’ll have the best time ever, I promise!

Thanks a lot for these amazing 4days Joey and the rest of the crew!!

Best Regards, Team Sweden (Marcus & Ella)

Date of experience: January 2020
Reviewed January 13, 2020 via mobile

We booked this day trip for our family of 4. It was perfect for us as we had a mix of certified divers, an intro diver and a snorkeler.

The crew, lead by Joey were all amazing and took good care of all of us. They would check in with us often, and took good care of us when we got sea sick.

Both the intro dive (lead by Lee) and the certified dive (lead by dive master in training Marcus, and supervised by Chris) was a good experience and we all felt safe. The intro dive is only a maximum group of 3 people and I was the only one in the certified dive group.

When you are out snorkelling, there is always a crew member watching to make sure you stay safe and don’t drift too far out.

We are glad we went with Cairns Dive Centre, they don’t pack too many people on the boat, they take your safety seriously, and they also have a great sense of humour.

Date of experience: January 2020
Reviewed December 28, 2019 via mobile

The boats are old, however the crew were lovely and made the two days enjoyable trips.
Alex and Lara were two of the dive instructors that were excellent, they made the diving easy and fun.

Date of experience: December 2019
CairnsDiveCentre, Front Office Manager at Cairns Dive Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2019

Thankyou for your 4 Star review.

Reviewed December 24, 2019

So I booked an intro dive + snorkeling trip for myself, wife, and sister-in-law. Here are my thoughts on what went wrong and what could be improved -

1. Given that it was my first dive ever, I would have appreciated having the basics explained to me in a clear, understandable manner. However, the instructor quickly rushed through a big book of flash cards in the span of 5-10 minutes while shouting need-to-know safety information (that of course I would very shortly need to know and demonstrate for her) over the loud hum of the rapidly moving boat's engine. When I explained that I could not hear the instructions, I was told "don't worry about it" (not helpful) "I'll explain again when we're in the water" (i.e. underwater using diver sign language I've just barely learned for the first time).

2. I was given an ill-fitting body suit 10 minutes before preparing to enter the water which took 15 minutes to put on with the help of my wife. No help from the instructors/staff, no information regarding whether it mattered or not to put it on inside out (which I did and tried to undo until a helpful person pointed out it didn't really matter). Again, when I told the instructor the suit was too small, I was told "don't worry about it" (not helpful!) "it will expand in the water." At this point, I'm worried but persevering.

3. I was strapped into my vest/tank equipment and given weights according to my estimated weight/size. I'm a deceptive 215 pounds so I'm not sure they were right (again everything is rushed and nothing is being EXPLAINED to me) but later on I would have difficulty being lowered into the water to demonstrate skills. I basically had to put my face into the water because I wasn't actually being lowered into it. Very frustrating.

The tank begins hissing loudly as if a significant amount of air is being released and staff rushes over to close the leak. No reassurance (this is where you say "we fixed it so nothing to worry about it") and no explanation as to what happened. Sheesh.

4. I get into the water ahead of my wife/sister-in-law and begin what feels like a pass/fail exam demonstrating 3 skills I will need to be able to possess to successfully dive. I pass the first skill involving removing my mouthpiece and bringing it back to my mouth to clear water out and continue breathing.

My snorkel is on the wrong (right) side of my head and I take a while to demonstrate I can let go of the mouthpiece and bring it back using my arm (of course blocked by the snorkel which I found out later from staff is "always" supposed to be on the left side of the head). Last, I need to demonstrate that I can blow water out of my mask with my nose. Of course, my mask is extremely tight and I can't do it. I get another mask but by this time the exam has taken a decent while and the instructor MOVES ON to my wife/sister-in-law and literally leaves me hanging on the side of the boat in relatively rocky water.

5. Now this one is on me just to be fair; as I'm hanging on to the side of the boat and getting bumped by the instructor/sister-in-law practicing skills underwater, I decide I don't have any faith in the instructor, the water is too rocky, the oxygen too uncomfortable to breathe, and the bodysuit just too damn tight to consider going 30+ feet underwater with someone who doesn't take the time to explain things, brushes off my concerns, and has literally left me hanging. I call it off because there has just got to be a better way to introduce someone to their first dive. At least I was able to snorkel and check out the Great Barrier Reef while my family went ahead without me.

If it is your first time diving I would strongly advise against going with CDC and find another company that takes time to properly explain things and treat you like your concerns and experience actually matter. If you are an instructor/staff reading this please take the time to explain and demonstrate skills to first time divers. It takes at least an hour to get out to the reef so there is no shortage of time to do so.

2  Thank michaeljmays
CairnsDiveCentre, Front Office Manager at Cairns Dive Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2019

We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience with us. I have passed your comments to our Operations Manager to review.

Reviewed December 23, 2019

A must try with the CDC team. They were wonderful, made us feel really at home. When one of us panicked they made sure that they spent the necessary time with us to make us feel better and go ahead with the dive. They treated all of us not like customers but like family. Everything was properly planned, they had fins and suits for every size, rest of the gear was properly fitted. They even got a prescription mask for one of us the day prior at the CDC centre in Cairns. Every member of the CDC team is a through professional and they absolutely know what they are doing. We felt comfortably safe to take this risky excursion and leave our safety in the hands of the CDC team.

This was our first time doing snorkelling and scuba diving and it could not have been better. A job very well done and very much worth the money. Definetly recommend the services of CDC team.

Date of experience: December 2019

Thankyou for your fantastic review. It sounds like you had a magical experience and we hope to see you again in the future :)