“Good value, great diving” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cairns Dive Centre Day Trips

Cairns Dive Centre Day Trips
Ranked #10 of 23 Nature & Parks in Cairns
More attraction details
Owner description: As one of Cairns' pioneering reef operators we are to this day visiting dive & snorkel sites that were hand-picked decades ago from the best outer reef sites available in the Cairns region. Wherever we take you you'll find calm, clear waters with a vast array of corals and an abundance of marine life just waiting for you to discover. Our crew, from bus driver to skipper is here to ensure that you leave Cairns with the best memories of the reef and your time with us. Join one of our outstanding trips with our professional and friendly Reef Team to see why Cairns Dive Centre is an icon of the Far North Adventure Tourism industry. Cairns Dive Centre also offers PADI training for those wanting to learn how to dive or become a professional diver,plus of course everything in-between Day trips on the MV Reef-Kist A state of the art 17.5 Metre catamaran capable of carrying up to 75 passengers in air-conditioned comfort.With a top speed of 18 knots, MV Reef-Kist offers a fast two hour transfer to the true Outer Great Barrier Reef.Lunch is made fresh daily from our resident chef on the liveaboard vessel, with morning and afternoon tea also provided and a stocked bar (licence pending).A full range of all required snorkel and dive gear is also on board. Your comfort and enjoyment is our priority, so Cairns Dive Centre limits the combined diving and snorkelling day trip passenger numbers to a maximum of 40 - after the daily transfer of some divers to our live aboard vessel MV Kangaroo Explorer. MV Kangaroo Explorer The MV Kangaroo Explorer is a comfortable 25 meter catamaran specifically designed for Queensland coastal cruising. The main deck features a saloon, servery for the galley and a well stocked, licensed bar. All meals are prepared fresh onboard by our resident chef.The well equipped and spacious dive deck providing easy access to and from the water. If you feel like some quiet time, the comfortable sun lounge features a library.We have 16 comfortable cabins onboard made up of twin, double and 4 berth. Double & Twin cabins are no extra charge simply first in first served.All cabins are fully air-conditioned and feature ensuites and portholes for your comfort and convenience.All meals and linen are included whilst on the boat but we ask you to please supply your own towels. Fitzroy Island We operate an amazing dive and adventure centre on Fitzroy Island, a laid back and idyllic place sat on the inner reef.Fitzroy has great fringing coral,suitable for diving, amazing rainforest walks, glass bottom boat and a turtle hospital. All going on amongst a real tropical vibe. Fitzroy is unique, just off Cairn visit us on Fitzroy and you won't be disappointed .
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Good value, great diving”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Having read a number of past reviews, I was concerned the trip I'd booked wouldn't live up to expectations. I'm glad to report that I was proved wrong. Though it's certainly not the ship for you if you want a 4/5 star luxury cruise, if you want an affordable, friendly couple of days diving or snorkelling on the reef, and if you don't mind the backpacker vibe, this is for you.

1 Thank KaguraCato

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Less than perfect service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Everyone who has been there knows a day on the Great Barrier Reef can never really be bad. But that being said, it does make a difference when you know you are with well-rounded, knowledgeable and friendly staff who are there to just amplify the experience. This did not really happen with CDC.

The man, Brad, who took us on our intro dive seemed bothered by the whole idea that he had to accompany and teach people who had never been diving before. He was not very pleasant for everyone who was trying scuba for the first time, as it is already terrifying enough, and when you have an instructor who can hardly be bothered with your questions it isn't really comforting. After the dive, it all went well, but he made a comment out loud about the asian couple who dived with us, and it was not appropriate. I don't care if you think something, when you are a professional you definitely don't say it aloud in front of other customers.

The other staff were young and probably on working holidays, so it was almost too relaxed an atmosphere. They didn't care to get to know anyone on the boat at all, it was all kind of a chore to them. The communication was terrible. People were waiting around half the time wondering about where to go and what to do. And the staff did not communicate the same rules to all passengers, meaning I got in trouble for wearing a wetsuit inside, when I walked past and spoke to 4 or 5 staff members without them saying anything to me to notify me!

I have been on a outer reef snorkel with Wavelength charters, and we had a marine biologist and a super experienced captain on board. It was a smaller group, but they still went around talking to each person, getting to know us, and made us feel very very welcome, not just another number like CDC.

CDC is also the cheapest, so I guess you get what you pay for.

1 Thank Alexandra N
Saint Kilda, Victoria, Australia
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“great experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

mostly friendly staff, minus a hideously rude and bitter chef, this was an unforgettable experience- the Great Barrier Reef is stunning and i now have a new-found respect for the ocean along with having learnt a great deal. not for the sea-sick- this sounds obvious, yet you'd be surprised at how many tried it!

1 Thank kittentravels
Lakes Entrance
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Numero Uno”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

What a great holiday..
I'm a commercial diver of 3000+ dives and have operated a recreational dive service in the mid 90's. I rang around many other operators and couldn't find the dive trip l was looking for..I rang Cairns Dive Centre and the staff tailor made the holiday I was after. Also was the cheapest in Cairns.
From the moment I stepped on the live-aboard boat ( M.V. Kangaroo Explorer) I was impressed by it's size, three decks, spacious cabins, fully equipped kitchen and bar. Most of all, the crew were great. Very helpful and attentive to your comfort. Well trained Instructors and Dive-masters. I stayed 4 nights and 5 days.
The skipper (Micha) took us to atleast 8 different dive sites. All the dive sites were well worth seeing as they all were different and needed more than 1 dive to explore thoroughly. We saw sharks, turtles, nemos, and an endless list of reef fish, soft corals, hard corals.
Most of all I was impressed by the level of safety exercised by all crew on board. On the second day Glen came on-board. He is a senior Instructor. Endless amount of detailed knowledge about the Great Barrier Reef and all it's species past and present. Amazing..
If you want to be just a diver, go elsewhere.. If you wanna be a great diver, ask for Glen.
I witnessed his high standard in dive instructing SSI dive courses. Highly recommended.
Special thanks to Simon and Tom (videograghers). The guys film personalised movies to capture your special experience on The Great Barrier Reef..They are both awesome movie makers and also top, top guys with an adventurous zest for life.
I thoroughly recommend Cairns Dive Centre and M.V Kangaroo Explorer for your next Great Barrier Reef experience. *****

2 Thank Franco M
Mexico City, Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“I had bad luck and CDC a poor service & maintainance / Tuve mala suerte y CDC un mantenimiento y servicio deficiente”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had booked a liveabroad trip with CDC since we read good reviews about it and because it was a good deal. They were friendly over the phone when we first ask for details about it and we were really excited to go on board! However, the trip got cancelled because a few nights before a very heavy rain provoqued that the Kangaroo Explorer stumbled too much in the warf and the radar was damaged. 'Ok, that's just bad luck', we thought, the weather had been awful and of course we understood the cancellation. Nevertheless we had to found out about the cancellation by ourselves: We called them a day before to arrange the pick-up service, and they informed us about the issue with the boat. The staff said that they had left a message on my voicemail, but I don't have one ... yeah, bad luck and bad service, I thought. Any way, we ask for a refund and booked for a day trip.

Once we were on the warf with other passengers for the day trip, a staff member approached us and telled us that the trip had been cancelled because a transformer had just expolded - This is not bad luck any more, but bad maintainance! They apologysed and a crew member tried to get people on board with other companies, but not such luck. At the end we were offered the options of reschedulle or ask for a refund. Fortunatly we found place in another cruise by ourselves, no help from CDC.

Once we were back in Cairns we went to the office to ask for the refund, but it was closed before its official clossing time. Bad luck again since that day most telephones and internet were down in all the region, however the service provided by CDC staff has terrible. We called to the "afterhours bookings" phone and we were told very rudly that the office was closed -Evidently! we were just outside half an hour before their closing time and no one was there, that's why I called that number-, and that if we wanted a refund we should go the morning after. I explained to the man that answered the phone that we were leaving the next day, so no chance of stopping by. He said that then I should call tomorrow or send an email, becasue there was nothing he could do for us that day. We did called the next day from the airport and we got our refund.

To sum up, yes it is a cheap company and they offer great deas. However, my advice, based on my experience is that if you chose to book with them, you should confirm your trip with a few days of anticipation and definitly have a plan B!

Visited January 2013