Koala Beach Resort
Hilton Cairns(Cairns)
$130
$117
  • Restaurant
Mantra Esplanade Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$122
$93
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$86
  • Pool
BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$155
$136
  • Pool
Cairns Plaza Hotel(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$93
$74
$187
$148
$133
  • Restaurant
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$123
$111
Reef Palms(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$107
$81
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Was told by the male receptionist I could not stay as it was 'Management Policy' - only those under 30 years were allowed! (That is against the law under the Australian & State Discrimination Acts!) Cairns is the only place in the world this has happened in all my travels. I had booked online & had already stayed 3 days. Strange being turned away from such a dump. But had got on well with people & location is good.

The kitchen stank and most power points did not work, there was electrical cable snaking across the floor. Same amout of equipment as found in an appartment - for so many people (4 electric elements - so 4 cooking pots at time, slow cooker, electric frypan, 1 jug for hot water which disappeared, 2 microwaves, 1 twin bowl sink). Little socialising. Bar & restaurant had closed down. Pool had things floating in it. 1 TV in kitchen that can't be heard over noisy fridge. Rooms, especially bathroom showed signs of neglect, mold, stains. Security was not good as you could walk in through the car park. No staff at night & reception is open few hours a day - so early checkout is hard. Overall - a state of decay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank brucefromaustralia
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We were travelling around Australia for a month, so obviously stayed in many motels, hotels etc. with a range of prices! This accomadation was the worse that we stayed in, nothing what soever to do with the reception staff, whom I found most accomadating but their hands were tied. We booked in for 3 nights ourselves and another couple, it was quite late in the afternoon so we were pleased to have somewhere to stay. The card payment machine was not working, that should have been a warning if we had had foresight! So we paid cash for 3 nights, not realising until after that there was not refund available!! By the time that we had unpacked and it was after 7pm and the office was closed! Our pillows were absolutely disgusting, they were stained brown from whatever, the bed cover was filthy, well I wouldnt like to say what had been on that, The television was only available on a closed circuit all other stations did not work, the air conditioning was virtually nil, and although there was fans in the living area and the bedroom it did nothing to take the temperature down!! The temperature was over 40deg C! The towels in the bathroom were undesirable and I wouildnt have used them on my dog!! There were families there with young children who were allowed to run round in the closed compound until after 10.30pm screaming. The following morning I went into the office to complain,( as I said we had travelled around Australia for a month and previously a month around New Zealand and this was the first and only time that I had to complain!) I took the pillows and the towels back also the toaster that didnt work and spoke to Emma C. the receptionist who I must say apologised prefusely, she said that they normally didnt let that room but that was the only one left, she knew how disgusting the pillows were and had asked the owner for new stock on more that one occassion but this had not been forthcoming, apparently she had spoken to her that morning, so I asked her if she could ring her I would speak to her and tell her how I felt but that was impossible!! I also asked for a reduction and a refund so we could find somewhere else, but no refund was allowed. I complained about the children runniing around the complex late at night and in the early hours of the morning but she said that the manager had left and no new manager had been taken on, and I can understand that a young girl in her 20's would be no match for families with unruly chilren!!!!! Luckily for us she had had a cancellation and she moved us to a much nicer room where the pillows were spotless, the towels were clean and she supplied us with a working toaster and we had a working air conditioning and TV Yippee!!!! The bed cover was not great but a whole lot better than the previous room. The place is called Koala Beach Resort, no way would I call it a resort and it was no way near the beach!!! The owners need to be brought to task, to expect a youg girl receptionist, who bent over backwards to help the guests, to be able to sort out all the complaints she must have received and kept polite,never lost her patience, but would, no way be able to control the rowdy families that were staying there!

Room Tip: I would say that no rooms are worth recommending
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Muriel H
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Great location for a visiting around this area. A friend and me stayed here for 4 nights last week. Our room was clean with nice beds, the girl on the counter was so helpful and nice. The walk to the shops and lagoon was really short, also was handy when walking home from the pubs. We had all our excursions leaving Cairns to go to Daintree for rainforest and mission Beach for our wicked skydive. Bus pick up was from out the front and back again to the door, our reef trip went from down the road so we walked to the pier as it was close.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank HansLakeberg
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed here at the beginning of our backpackingjourney through Australia, which was a huge misstake! The rooms are crawling with ants and bugs of all sorts and cockroaches are everywhere in the kitchenarea. We are not talking the small kind... After a few days we got red spots on our arms and legs, turns out it was bedbugs....Hideous bathrooms which left you feel dirtier going out of it than going in. Don't even want to talk about the filthiest kitchen I've seen.... We got recommended to stay here by kilroy, a travellingagency in Sweden, whom obviously have not been to this rathole. Please do not stay here, stay at Gilligans instead and save both money and your health!

• Stayed: November 2012
5  Thank eljosefine
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Known locally in Cairns as Koala Back-packers this establishment claiming to be a Resort is anything but.
They should not be allowed to advertise as they are currently, More 1 Star Quality than 3.
Dirty bathroom, Dirty interior and exterior facilities, free wi-fi (If you like the walk to the local McDonalds for it), Kitchenette should be advertised as 'Microwave Supplied'....
You have been warned!