“Good position”

Ranked #31 of 85 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Gold Coast
“Good position”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Four of us stayed for 5 nights in a two bedroom apartment. The apartments are well appointed with plenty of room for four people. The separate wash basin and toilet help. The beds were comfortable. The Manager could not have been more helpful with information and making bookings for us. Though the apartments are only two blocks from the Esplanade it is a good 20 minutes walk to the main eating and shopping area of Cairns.

Room Tip: There are noisy neighbours in the flats over the fence on the southern side.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank noelandmaxine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Spent a week here in a 1 bedroom apartment for work and found it to be a good base.

Rooms are fairly large and reasonably appointed for either work or family stays. If visitors are trying to stay in the centre of Cairns entertainment district, forget it, but if you are happy to drive/cab to dinner or drinks it's ideal. There is no on-site food or drink, although there is a tavern one block away but you soon get tired of that menu.

My bed was VERY HARD but I was so tired after work that I could have slept on the floor - if you like a soft bed it might pay to ask in advance.

Maintenance seems pretty good, although cleaning was a little haphazard - I think it is being done by the manager himself. This also meant that reception was often not attended if you had a question to ask.

All this being said, I will certainly consider the City Plaza for longer-term stays in Cairns - if it's an overnighter I'd stay in a bigger property with restaurant/bar/24hr reception etc - but for a week, the rates and quality make up for the shortcomings.

Room Tip: There are no lifts so if you have many bags try to get a ground floor room - the hike to level 3 is...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Weary_Warrior
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Stayed here for a week with my toddler, upstairs was a mistake with pram but the apartments are great - clean, modern and comfortable, including the beds. There's a couple of parks nearby including Muddy's Playground, a must if you have kids. The pool area is small but nice. On the downside the bedrooms are quite bright in the morning and units at the rear of the block aren't as sunny as the front and tend to get the traffic noise from Sheridan St. I'd definitely go back and stay in one of the front units when a special price is on.

Room Tip: Stay in the front of the block
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank LoveHappy
Brisbane
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I was in Cairns for 2 weeks undertaking a work course, from the moment I rang I new I was going to enjoy my stay, Geoff was very friendly and nothing was too much. I drove up from Brisbane and left a day earlier than planned I called Geoff to advise that I may arrive earlier than planned, he said that would be fine.

I arrived at 3pm check in was seamless and Geoff explained all the facilities of the apartments.

Well after 4 nights cyclone YASI decided to pay a visit Geoff quickly advised that I should consider leaving however with the course still running I decided to stay. Geoff moved me from my ground floor unit to a more protected unit and ensured I was comfortable and safe all at the same time taking care of other guests and preparing for the cyclone.

Through out the day and night Geoff continued to check on guests that stayed and even offered to cook meals for us.

All in all my stay was most enjoyable and I would definetaly recommend this plase to anyone who wants a home away from home with a holiday atmoshpere.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve_Muller
jaclyn12
Reviewed February 19, 2011

where to even start? well the owner of the condos was extremely rude-he made me cry! our flight got cancelled the night we were flying out to cairns and so we called the guy and told him. we mentioned we would have a flight out the next day at the same time. so he asked if he should cancel our reservations and if we were even coming. i said as long as our flight doesnt get canceled again, obviusly we would be there after midnight (late flight) so dont cancel the reservation. sure enough, our flight gets delayed and we arrive at 2 am. he told us before he would leave the keys in the mailbox for us. no mailbox. after searching 1h for a phone we are able t ocontact him and he is outeaged and swearing and rude. he said we didnt have a reservation becuase he cancelled it becuase we didnt show up, when he knew very well that we were having flight issues and we told him we were going to be there after midnight (hence why he said to leave the key in the box). so he is yelling at us at 3 am and swearing....and we finally gert to our room (after he charges us for all nights-including the one missed). and its infested with ants eveywhere!!!! sure enough we left in the morning, in which he charged us for the full stay of 4 days! being foreigners to australia we were excited to be there, but he totally had a negative impact on our trip , as if the brisbane floods werent enough for us to deal with! anyway , we stayed in southern cross atrium apartments-beautifuk and cheaper, and super friendly!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
RyanCairns, Manager at City Plaza Apartments Cairns, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
Thank you for your review. While all effort is made to assist guests with late check in the basic requirement is for a guest to contact us if they do not show up for their unpaid booking, to advise that they will continue with the rest of their booking. The first contact from the guest was at 8.30pm on the first night booked to advise of a late arrival and arrangements where made for key collection, Apartment prepared for late arrival with brochures and local maps, lights and air conditioning on etc only for the guest not to arrive. In this case a 1 night No Show fee applied and the guest did not confirm that they would arrive the next night at midnight but did however turn up unexpectadly at 3am obviously tired, emotiional and frustrated by airline problems which was compounded by no arrangement for late access to an Apartment that was no longer booked as the guest had failed to contact us.
Without explanation the guests have checked out and where charged the minimum 3 night booking including the No Show charge.
We are glad to hear that the guest have eventually been able to enjoy their stay in Cairns despite their frustration in getting here.
Reading, UK
Reviewed November 18, 2010

I stayed for a week and it was the perfect home away from home. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful (I arrived on the wrong day but they went out of the way to ensure that I was accommodated) and the rooms were large and well equipped. We stayed in a suite for four that had all of the space and facilities that we could need. The rooms were very modern, cosy and clean. There were two large balconies with views across the city and a rooftop swimming pool that again has great views, particularly at sunset. We explored Cairns for a week and everywhere was in walking distance from the apartments, which are located across the road from a large supermarket so perfect for self-catering.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Devonport, Australia
Reviewed August 30, 2010

city Plaza is great value for money especially for a family. The self contained units have all the "home comforts" any family may need. Beds comfortable & linen very clean. Kitchen well stocked with everyday appliances{even clothes pegs } in laundry to use on outside clothes line. Geoff the manager was so helpfull right from the very 1st phone call. Outside board well stocked with activity brochures for the "Tourist". Pool & Spa area quite adequit. Not heated, but was not an issue for my family as we come from a cooler part of Australia. Have no hesitation in reccomending . For families this place is great value for money. Cheers. Julie

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family