“ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOm!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Australia Multi-City Attractions Pass
Ranked #10 of 24 Nature & Parks in Cairns
More attraction details
Owner description: The Cairns ZOOM is the world's first Challenge Ropes Course in a wildlife park, situated in the centre of Cairns on the rooftop of The Reef Hotel Casino. Experience adventure at varying heights and levels of difficulty on the Mid-ZOOM and Hi-ZOOM courses with 65 elements of crossings and ziplines - including one which takes you directly over a 4 metre saltwater crocodile! The PowerJump is a free-fall adventure with a 13m drop, whilst the Dome-Climb offers spectacular views of the city, the Coral Sea and surrounding landscapes. Make sure you spend some time interacting with all our wildlife, with Shows and Presentations throughout the day. Keep an eye out for Snowy the rare white kookaburra, as well as turtles, pythons, freshwater crocodiles, lizards, gliders and hand-feed our pademelons.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Cairns, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOm!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

WOOOHOOOO!!! What an awesome way to spend a Saturday! The whole family thoroughly enjoyed this truly innovative adventure product. There is literally something for everyone at The Rainforest Dome. All of us loved the Cairns Zoom and I happy to say even though I'm a little scared of heights, even I managed to complete the mid section and high ropes course. The zip lines are so much fun and the girls especially loved Zooming over the top of Galioth the massive croc who hangs out in the lower wildlife section. We even got up close with a gorgeous koala and I shouldn't forget to mention Jo Jo the crazy Cockatoo that thinks she is a puppy dog! If you haven't done this, then you should, if you have done this, then DO IT AGAIN!!! I know we will. Thanks Cairns Zoom for a great family day out.

Visited March 2014

• Korean first
Brisbane
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Adventurous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

This place is fun! To be up high on a challenging ropes course with hand tamed birds is awesome! We had the whole place to ourselves so we went at our own pace and loved every bit. The staff were friendly, scotty and alex T were very friendly and helpful. We found the prices reasonable, businesses cant expand and pay staff on cheap entry fees. The photos we bought were also cheaper than the theme park prices so very affordable to buy.

Visited February 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Fun for all ages”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

A thrilling experience with plenty of scary moments, especially swinging over Goliath the crocodile. Really hot the day we went so a huge challenge for our kids when they got to the high ropes. They both loved it and definitely want to go back again next trip.

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Do it! Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Holidaying in Port Douglas my children noticed on the rear of a bus billboard advertising 'Zipline over Croc'. Well kids just wanted to go so we drove to Cairns. You will find the adventure in the heart of Cairns CBD (Casino). Need close toed shoes or need to hire for $5 a pair. It is fantastic! My three kids 6,8 and 11 years old just loved it. The gained so much strength and confidence from the activities. So happy we went. Perhaps phone in to see if pre booking is required so you are not stuck waiting around in queues. GO!!!!!!

1 Thank VDLSM
Sydney, Australia
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Hit and miss - can try better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Unfortunately my trip to the ZOOm was somewhat ruined, outside of the company's control. I managed to be stuck behind three young girls with their fathers who screamed and cried at every point at took the nearly 2 hours instead of the estimated 45 minutes to get round. I am a pre-school teacher by profession, so I have patience and compassion when it comes to kids, but it really isn't very easy to keep this going when you're stood still for fifteen minutes at a time when going from point to point, in extraordinary heat. The girls were clearly struggling at this level and I was therefore frustrated that after moving from the low wire to the high wire course they did not acknowledge the situation and allow me to pass in front of them. As a Brit I place queueing above almost anything, but standing around and not moving for so long made it almost impossible to enjoy. I would like to suggest if any other parents go with young children who may also struggle, please show thought to any of those who may be behind you.

The attraction seems a fantastic idea for any fan of wildlife, but I would advise that if you are not going as a family day out, avoid a weekend or school holiday, as I did feel like something of an intruder in a kids' playground.

There were also ways, however, that I feel the attraction let itself down. The dome is effectively a giant greenhouse, and I went on a day when the temperature was 33 degrees (on the outside..in the shade!) and yet beyond the lower level every fan in the dome was not moving. I cannot begin to express how hot it was - exacerbated by the fact that I was having to stand around unable to move for long periods. I would be very interested to hear an explanation as to why so many fans around the dome were not working in such hot conditions.

Furthermore, I fully expected the wildlife to be free to roam and therefore free to hide, however I do not understand why so many of the animal pens were empty. Koalas do very little more than sleep all day, and yet their enclosure was empty , similarly so with the freshwater crocodiles. It was not a case, as with the birdlife, of them hiding from public view, their enclosures were simply empty.

The staff here were very friendly and polite, but the procedures were quite slow and the company should investigate how to make these more efficient. A proper queueing system at the ticket desk would be helpful, and an additional member of staff at the high/low wires would do too. There was an awful lot of waiting around with not many other people requiring it to be so.

Overall, I would say the ZOOm is a great idea with a number of flaws. The opportunity is there for it to be a fantastic day out. If you are sans-kids, avoid weekends; if you are running the show, please turn on the fans, and do not create expectations for animals that aren't there; if you are serving customers, encourage them to stick to a queue.

Visited January 2014
CaPTA_Group, Owner at Cairns ZOOM and Wildlife Dome, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
We're sorry to hear your visit to the Cairns ZOOm was somewhat ruined by other customers, outside of our control. We have since implemented staff training on this issue, whereby staff will identify whether customers are encountering difficulties on the course and will work with them to help overcome this, whilst putting quicker people ahead of them.

We have implemented numerous cooling measures in the warmer months of the year, including misting fans located throughout the Dome. We have not been made aware of any problems with these fans not working, but rest assured that staff will continuously monitor this to ensure customer comfort (as well as their own).

With regards to empty animal enclosures, there may be times where these are under development, however there would be signage to explain this. The koala enclosure is occasionally empty when they are temporarily relocated to the reception for the photo experience, but again, signage should explain this. As for the freshwater crocodiles, they do tend to sun themselves at the rear of the enclosure, and they are often camouflaged as they hide under foliage. Nevertheless we will follow up with our wildlife staff to ensure they are displaying signage visibly.

We are always reviewing our systems and procedures to make them more efficient so we will take on board some of the practical suggestions that you have made and investigate what can be implemented.

- Ben Woodward, Family Owner / Sales Director.