“Not Zip off Rip off” 1 of 5 bubbles

and up
Australia Multi-City Attractions Pass
Ranked #37 of 157 Tours in Cairns
More attraction details
Owner description: The Cairns ZOOM is the world's first Challenge Ropes Course in a wildlife park, situated in the centre of Cairns on the rooftop of The Reef Hotel Casino. Experience adventure at varying heights and levels of difficulty on the Mid-ZOOM and Hi-ZOOM courses with 65 elements of crossings and ziplines - including one which takes you directly over a 4 metre saltwater crocodile! The PowerJump is a free-fall adventure with a 13m drop, whilst the Dome-Climb offers spectacular views of the city, the Coral Sea and surrounding landscapes. Make sure you spend some time interacting with all our wildlife, with Shows and Presentations throughout the day. Keep an eye out for Snowy the rare white kookaburra, as well as turtles, pythons, freshwater crocodiles, lizards, gliders and hand-feed our pademelons.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Sydney, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not Zip off Rip off”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

What a total rip off this place is outrages prices to get in $22 adult and $11 children no pensioner discouts. Then another $22 & $11 to do a zip line.
So $66 dollars later and we haven't gone to the gift shop yet. Come on Cairns you can do better than that.
I had some friends go there they day after us I did warn them of the price. They charged the 12 yr old as an adult. Then demanded the mother sign the wavier for the zip line as the girl was under age.
The mother refused.
You cant have it both ways. No wonder the tourist are fed up with going to Cairns ask any taxi driver. I don't believe you don't have discount for pensioners you do have them in Cairns.
I don't recommend this place unless you take out a loan. As for the zoo well if you like bird watching it's great.
Victor Northcott

1 Thank vic n
CaPTA_Group, Owner at Cairns ZOOM and Wildlife Dome, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
We’re sorry to hear that you felt that your visit to Cairns ZOOm & Wildlife Dome wasn’t good value for money.

We have clarified our pricing structure to you following the complaint you made directly to us. From your explanation, you were charged the family price of $55 for entry to the Wildlife Dome, which offers 2 Adults and 2 Children at the price of 2 Adults and 1 Child. We do offer a 10% pensioners discount, but this cannot be used in conjunction with the family price, which worked out $8.80 cheaper for you than paying 1 full price adult ($22), 1 discounted pensioner ($19.80), and 2 full price children ($11 each). The “ZOOm Upgrade” prices were $23.00 per adult and $11.50 per child; which is the difference between the ZOOm 1 Activity Price ($45.00 per adult, $22.50 per child) and the Entry Only Price that you paid ($22.00 per adult & $11.00 per child respectively). The Ropes Course features numerous elements in addition to 3 ziplines.

Our reception staff make our child policy very clear to our customers, so I’m not sure how the 12 year old would have been charged as an adult, there must have been some confusion around this.

In addition to the Cairns Wildlife Dome’s range of birdlife, we also have koalas, crocodiles, frogs, turtles, pythons, lizards, bettongs, bandicoots, possums, and gliders. Further value is added with 7 educational shows and presentations taking place throughout the day, ranging from feed out tours, free flight bird shows, and reptile and mammal shows. Also included is a bonus 4 days of re-entry, allowing customers to come back and see each of these as they wish.

- Ben Woodward, Family Owner & Sales Manager.

• Korean first
Sydney, Australia
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Go to a real zoo......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

OK, a zoo on top of a casino. I read a lot before coming here about the place being very cramped and crowded for the animals and wildlife in here and I hear what they are saying. There is not a great deal of space. There are however a LOT of birds. If ornithology is your thing, then I'm sure you'll like this.

I'm not a big fan of getting your photo taken with Koalas. I did however get to stroke a Koala without getting my photo taken, so that was nice. The other highlight was watching the giant croc getting fed.

I thought it was ridiculously overpriced. I understand the entrance fee gets you in for a whole three days, but why on earth would you want to come back and see it all again when you can do the circuit in just over an hour??

Props to the staff that worked there though they were very knowledgable, informative and friendly, not to mention enthusiastic about their interests and the subject matter.

Maybe one to do if the weather is dreadful. Or perhaps spend the entrance fee in the casino itself???

Visited February 2013
1 Thank shoegazer82
Thank you for your review, and we're sorry to hear that you felt the attraction was overpriced.

We do have 7 educational shows and presentations taking place throughout the day, ranging from feed out tours, free flight bird shows, and reptile and mammal shows, adding further value to your visit. The bonus 4 days of re-entry thus allows customers to come back and see each of these as they wish.

At an additional cost, there is also the new Cairns ZOOm Challenge Ropes Course, which consists of over 65 adventure elements, including a zipline over Goliath, our 4 metre saltwater crocodile.

- Ben Woodward, Family Owner & Sales Manager
Rochdale
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“A little gem on the roof top”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We visited this venue while it was raining on our visit to Cairns. It is accessed through the casino.

We expected it to be a bit bigger but loved the fact that the birds can fly about. We didn't go for the zoom experience so found the $22 a bit overpriced for what it was.

The staff were excellent, very friendly and knowledgeable with an obvious affection for the animals.

We also liked the fact that we could revisit free on the same ticket entry for a week, this may be a reflection of the entry fee.

A pleasent way to spend an hour.

3 Thank LoubylouRochdale
Rabaul, Papua New Guinea
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great half day option for families.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I went to Cairns ZOOm in late January 2012. I took my two niecesa nd their fried (ages 9-11) and we all did each of the activities available. We all had a good time and the girls went a second round on the high course. Only things of note were the heat and humidity - I was soaked by the time I got half way through the first course. It was an unusually hot January so its not unexpected. They had free water available. They are also open until 8pm so I'd recommend going in the cooler parts of the day. Another thing was the staff seemed fairly new and it was a bit unorganised in the equipment area but I understand that the ZOOm had only been open for a couple of weeks so I guess these were just 'teething problems'.

Overall a good option for local and visiting familes.

Visited January 2013
Derby, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Zoomtastic!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Having seen the reviews of the Cairns Wildlife Dome & Zoom on tripadvisor, I thought it would be great fun for the family during our visit. My children are 8 and 10, and the eldest said it was the best thing he'd ever done! Basically, the Zoom is a highwires course in a glass dome with assorted wildlife (mostly birds) roaming around. This can make the course rather messy in places - so don't wear your best clothes! It was all great fun, and the final zipwire over Goliath the crocodile was fab, although I nearly lost my shoe! It was good to then wander around the Dome and meet some of the wildlife - the staff were more than happy to let you get up close and tell you about the animals. Tip: go first thing in the morning before it gets busy, wear old clothes and no open-toed shoes.

2 Thank Eliz70