“Over priced”
Review of The Hotel Cairns

The Hotel Cairns
Ranked #51 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We stayed here for five nights last week ... Hotel clean and comfy but overpriced for what you get... Breaks was included but really wasn't a great selection on offer .. If I wanted home brand juice etc I could get my own ... Overall a nice place to rest for the night but no atmosphere and staff were rude .. Called to reception for an extra pillow and clearly I was disturbing the man that answered .. He made it pretty clear no pillow would be coming to us ... And it didn't ... Disappointing service really

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Andowhite

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Booked in Feb as the offer included a day of Smart Car hire. I even contacted the office once o booked & requested the car for a certain day. Arrive & they say they don't have the cars anymore, haven't for months. Offered nothing to us as a sweetener, said take it up with the web site I booked with. And no soap for hand basin and no milk in the fridge. Won't book here again. Stayed at Breakfree on the esplanade last month, much better, they were friendly and helpful & a better location

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank CycleChick001
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Outdated hotel needs an upgrade . promised smart cars when I booked an online package for 7days staying at this hotel. when I asked where was the smart car I was told they were getting repaired. So I had to hire a car for a week. Was told by a rental car company the hotel cairns smart cars were sold WISH I WAS TOLD EARLIER AS I HAD BOOKED IN FEB TAKEN MY HOLIDAY IN JUNE AND IT COST ME A LOT MORE THAN I EXPECTED. I COULD HAVE BOOKED SOMEWHERE NICER.

Room Tip: Top room a bit quiter
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We stayed here as part of a hotel package combined with the Pro Dive 5 day learn to dive course. We chose this hotel because we wanted to treat ourselves as we thought it would be really nice. The room was large and comfortable but the view wasn't very good. There was a pool but it was quite small so we only used it once. When we went down for breakfast on the first day we found out that breakfast wasn't included despite the fact I had checked this with the hotel in advance, they said we could pay for breakfast which was ridiculously expensive so we just went down the road to a nice place which overlooked the ocean. Overall we were a bit disappointed with the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Hotel and room were acceptable if a little dated and in need of renovation. My complaint is the extremely rude and unprofessional reception staff. We were given a brochure which clearly stated that Breakfast was from 6-10 am on Saturday and Sunday. We arrived on a Saturday at 9.30 am only to find the restaurant only served breakfast till 9 am. When I approached the receptionist no apology was offered when I explained my problem, I was informed that I should never have been given said brochure as the times were incorrect. I explained that some compensation should be offered as I had paid for breakfast inclusive for 4 people. The young lady then proceeded to argue that as I had booked through Expedia and this was a reduced rate offer I would not be entitled to any refund or compensation! I told here that was unacceptable and asked to speak to the manager. The manager was only going to be in at 3 pm and she would ask him to contact me then- I'm still waiting!!
I will email the manager and see what happens

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Bernard B
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Very nice hotel! Staff was very accomidating. Let me in my room very early, because I arrived before most of my tour group, and when there was something wrong with the room, we were very quickly placed into another room. Breakfast was awesome and the pool was very nice. If I am ever in the area again, I will be staying here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Was ok for a short stay, our room was clean and light with a nice view,bed was extremely comfortable.Staff friendly and helpful. Location is great. Breaky was ok BUT ... "international roast " coffee sachets in dining room should be illegal !, YUCK!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple