“Lovely Tropical Feel”
Review of The Hotel Cairns

The Hotel Cairns
Ranked #50 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed overnight and found the feel of the place lovely, so nice to have the tropical feel instead of the concrete boxes you get nowadays. We stayed in a tower room and could not really fault it. The only con would be the size of the en suite, which was very small but had everything you would need. The bedroom was spacious and immaculate. Unlike most hotels where you only get one easy chair (in a double room!!!) this room had a wicker loung suite, 2 singles and a 2 seater, which was very comfortable, as well as 2 chairs on the balcony.
We found the hotel staff very courteous and friendly and check in went smoothly.
The location is great just one block from the esplanade and close to restaurants. The Night Markets are just 2 blocks away.
Whilst our room faced Abbott street there was little traffic and so no road noise. The plantation shutters do not give you blockout darkness but we liked them and it did not bother us

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 3, 2013

The hotel has great visual appeal from the street – fresh white plantation style amid a forest of tropical palms. The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast provided a reasonable selection and was quite satisfactory. However we really disliked the room which was very small and very basic. The window shutters did not close properly or provide acceptable privacy at night. The bathroom had a continual leaking toilet and the shower/bath had a very high and very deep step-in. It would have been difficult if we’d been elderly or had children. We had two English-speaking TV stations with terrible grainy reception and the rest were all non-English speaking (mainly Asian). The place looks really pretty, but we can’t get past how much we hated the room.

Room Tip: sorry - have no idea how other rooms compare to the one we had.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband and I have been traveling Australia in our van and we arrived in Cairns two days before our Anniversary, we picked up a card regarding this hotel,we booked in on the Monday night. We where greeted with a smile and we went to our room, The room was clean and cool. We went to dinner and was greeted again with a smile, the waiter told us that their meals are cooked on a rock. They bring your meal out on a very hot rock and you watch it cook before your eyes. The manager gave us a complimentary glass of Champagne for our Anniversary, the whole evening and night in the hotel was fantastic and we are so very glad we stopped at this place for our 35th Anniversary.We will recomend to our fellow travelers who will be visiting Cairns

Room Tip: remember to ask for your coffee & tea at reception before you go to room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I Stayed here in December/January 2013. The hotel is in a great location with easy walking distance to most attractions. Hotel was always clean and the breakfast was lovely. There was a young lady staff member who was lovely and 2 men, who I can't say the same about. They were always abrupt and I was too 'scared' to go and asked anything because of their attitude. I rung to order room service from the room service menu in my room, only to be told they do not to room service?! Whilst staying here I got quite sick and had to stay longer, this is when I went to order room service. I asked if I could at least toast at dinner and was told no. I could not leave my room and the pharmacy down the road were kind enough to deliver and they also brought me food! That was service!! Pay the extra and get a tower room! You get your own balcony and the room is much nicer. The cheaper rooms do not have a balcony and open up onto a main corridor. Also I don't think you can advertise a king bed and it be 2 singles pushed together!! I don't think I would stay here again. The hotel it self was nice, but like mentioned not all was great.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank 19nat89
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Basic but clean. We were a bit taken back by its quality and standard, so much so we almost rang Trailfinders to get moved to the Nova Hotel.
The room was on the courtyard it was comfortable enough but basic. it took us 5 days to work out the aircon control. Each night and also one morning there was an enormous noise of furniture being dragged across the room next door.
There was a restaurant but it seemed expensive and little choice and no bar menu. On several occasions both the Bar & the Restaurant was closed although it was early. No information was given at reception about the hotel facilities. The plus for this Hotel was a nice pool that wasn't used by many guests which made it very enjoyable for us
The position was good, except for trees full of noisy fruit bats outside the hotel, but we couldn't hear them once inside our room. Only a few hundred yards from the Esplanade and The Night Markets

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ditzydolly
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed here towards the end of Jan 2013. The check was very unwelcoming; it felt as though we were an inconvenience plus no overview of the facilities as though we were supposed to know where things were. Then on the first morning to our surprise the chamber person knocked on our door at 8.15am expecting to clean the room. I said that we had just woken up and she replied this is the norm. So now up we went to the breakfast room. OMG not a lot for the European visitor very much catering for the Asian market. I had to ask for fried eggs which were reluctantly provided. Not a good start as apparently the owner who lives on the premises, cost cutting is a high priority. As far as the rooms are concerned not very welcoming they are very basic even to the point that if you want tea and coffee you have to ask reception for the sachets – I rest my - case cost cutting. Day two, breakfast and I asked for fried eggs as per day one. Wait for it this; this was the reply “yesterday was yesterday and today is today” and if I wanted fried eggs I would have to speak to reception – what a joke!!!! The only + was that we had problems with our phone and the male receptionist was very helpful and that was the only +. If you plan to go to Cairns do not stay here. My reason for saying this is I work in the hotel industry and know what good customer service should be and this hotel have no idea on what it means.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Michael J
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Located a short walk away from the esplanade and the water, the Hotel Cairns is a good base for a stay in Cairns. The front desk staff was helpful in helping us to arrange a Great Barrier Reef tour and answering questions for us. Our room was spacious and comfortable and in the evening we really enjoyed sitting on our balcony with a glass of wine looking out at the esplanade. Free parking. The bathroom was a bit dated in decor, but it didn't bother us.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple