“Would NOT recommend this hotel!”

Cairns City Sheridan
Ranked #60 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed September 23, 2008

I would NOT recommend this hotel. It's gross. There was the biggest cockroach we've ever seen in our room the first night which completely put me on edge. There was no elevator so we had to lift 2 heavy suitecases up 2 flights of stairs. (We were travelling for 3 wks). The room did not seem very clean. We ate the breakfast one morning in the restaurant, but I didn't want to eat there again as cleanliness was not great. The restaurant is super tacky with an ocean/fish theme. The front receptionists are only there from 7am til 9pm. The taps in the bathroom were really awkward to turn and dripped if not turned off really hard. The walls were paper thin. The pool outside looks extremely uninviting. Some good things were that it was reasonable compared to some others, which is obviously why we picked it, but goodness knows why my husband didn't read some of the bad reviews (which I've now discovered) before booking! It was about a 20 minute walk to the Esplanade - I would have paid more to be closer and to be in nicer accommodations.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lwew
There are newer reviews for Cairns City Sheridan

Reviewed June 19, 2008

We had a fabulous stay at this property for a week. Rooms seemed to be newly renovated with fresh tiled floors and nice bedding. The room had a fair size balcony that overlooked pool. Staff were friendly and helped us with booking some tours and doing some walking into town and the botanical gardens. Shopping was close by and the movies. We had dinner in the restaurant one night, it was delicious.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 26, 2008

I have tried to think of positive things to say about this motel and here it is - the rooms are large. Other than that avoid this motel at all costs. The reception closes at 9pm, when I arrived at 8pm I was told the restaurant was not operating on a Sunday, so I could try Domino's pizza down the road. As I was leaving the next morning before reception opens at 7, no breakfast was available either. The room was dirty, with mould on the shower tiles and balcony railings. The curtain did not have all its hooks in place, so hung like a rumpled sack. Light bulbs were missing from the bedside lamps. Power was available via a 4 point power board. The fridge was rusting. On the balcony there was a dead plant in a planter box that was also home to cigarette butts. Inside were two dining chairs but no table. The bed was hard and on rollers, so when you turned in bed the whole thing moved across the room.
There is really no place for an establishment like this in Cairns, which has plenty better to offer.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank ron_jaym
Reviewed May 23, 2008

I have travelled all over the world, but my experience at the Comfort City Sheridan Inn at Cairns, was by far the worst ever. Firstly, my booking was not recorded, then I was charged twice for the same room which has partly been reimbursed to date. There were never any staff present in the reception area when I needed assistance from them. I ended up staying in two separate rooms over the weekend, as there was no record of my stay the previous night or that a booking was ever made. There were renovations being done on the motel, the noise during the day was unbearable. The airconditioning unit in our room made such a continual loud noise that we could not sleep at all at night. When we came down to the motel's restaurant in the morning expecting to be able to get a cooked breakfast, we were told by The Comfort City Sheridan Inn's staff that we would have to walk down the road to another motel who provided cooked meals. We decided to stay at the Comfort City Sheridan and have coffee and toast, which was cold and we were charged $25.00 extra for the breakfast. On my return to my home in New South Wales, I rang the motel to arrange a reimbursement of the motel charges debited to my card, but was frustrated at the lack of understanding of the situation. The receptionist was so rude on the phone by saying "There is no need to go off about this". A very frustrating and unforgetable experience. I would not recommend this motel to anyone but will pass on my bad experience to all I come in contact with.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank HEIJELDI
Reviewed April 5, 2008

The hotel was the worst hotel I have stayed at. I know it's not an expensive hotel but to have pubic hairs, unremoved garbage, insect or animal droppings, dirty towels left in the room is unacceptable. Everyone knows when you go to a hotel you should not detect the person that used the room before you. We had left the room after dropping our bags off to go to the city. When we came back, reception was closed so we could not complain. We took pictures of the room and when we complained to reception in the morning when we checked out, they were not very helpful and did not want to give a discount or at least do anything more than say sorry. It was really really dirty! It was as if the cleaning staff only prepared half the room. I came home and wrote an email to Comfort Inn but they were sticking with the stories of their staff while I had pictures to validate my claim. They said we should have complained right away and would have moved us to another property but how could we if their reception was closed so early. They refused to do anything helpful or offer a discount and have not acknowledged the photos. I have never written complaint letters but this place is seriously not hygienic nor livable and it's a smack in the face when management is on the side of the staff. I hope you enjoy the photos and avoid staying at the hotel especially if you have children.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank SharonNetherlands
Reviewed January 1, 2007

Clean, comfortable with a friendly staff. It is a 15-20 minute walk to the reef terminal and the Central Train station. There is a bus stop one block away. Hotel offers a free shuttle service from the airport but a taxi will cost only $15 AUD.

The rooms are medium sized and fine for two people. The shower curtain in our room was too short which led to a water mess until we learned to decrease the water pressure and aim the shower head the opposite direction.

The staff was very friendly and gave us several great tips for tours and local knowledge. We would definitely stay here again.

One con: No elevator and no staff to carry your bags. We were on the third floor but this was not a problem for us.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank imakebeer
Reviewed March 23, 2006

I stayed here for one night in March 2006 while passing through Cairns. The hotel run a free shuttle service to the airport so this was handy. Reception were very helpful and friendly and could also do tour booking although I did not use any. The room was quite large and clean but seemed a bit older and dated. It had a TV, small fridge etc. The ensuite bathroom was ok but cramped. There was a small balcony with tables, chairs which I did not use. The room has air con and a fan. The hotel has a small pool but it did not look very great. The hotel is bit further out than some - about 15 mins walk to Cairns Central shopping/railway or esplanade. I would consider using again. It was not fantastic but perfectly adequate for my needs.

• Stayed: March 2006