“Excellent hostel!”

Gilligans Backpackers Hotel & Resort
Ranked #12 of 82 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Like an institution to Cairns, Gilligams is a great spot to stay at, handy location, modern, good bar and food on-site. This is where it happens in cairns. This is a fun hostel to stay in but also very safe and secure.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JMirl

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I’m a traveler who values new impressions more than comfort. So, if you like to be in the center of merry backpackers’ life, to meet new people from different countries, to see evening shows, to dance in Gilligans bar or just have a walk to the Cairns Lagoon whenever you want – than this place is the just for you!
If you want to have a calm, quiet stay among calm, quiet people in a calm, quiet place – it is not for you!

Room Tip: A mixed dorm is a bad idea... for those who want to sleep a bit and wake up early...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Alika999
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I stayed in this hostel as it is very central in a Cairns - I advised I was concerned about the noise and parties and I was put in a room at the back on the third floor and it was fine. It is a young persons hostel and if you want to party you will be in your element ! The staff were ok - nothing special but I didn't find them actually rude. Clean tidy hostel.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I personally found my experience at Gilligans so amazing because of the customer service. Especially this one fella named Josh, he just has something that no one else does. He literally has the X FACTOR. He had such a friendly face, I knew as soon as I saw him my experience here would be unforgettable. Aside from Josh however, the others that are working at reception, at the pool, the bar, let's not forget about the housecleaners, they are all impeccable human beings that deserve the equivalent to an Oscar. If I could nominate them for an award I believe I would, unfortunately I do not have that power. I wish I did though. Let's get back to Josh: He is AMAZING. Seriously, I am a difficult human being and he made my complications uncomplicated. WHO DOES THAT? JOSH DOES!! I like the way he throws his water bottle up in the air and then catches it on the back of his soft hand. Just because I said soft does not mean I do not think he is one helluva man. I just think he may moisturize. Anyways, I seriously love this place. I love it so much in fact that I think i'll never leave. If anyone wants to have the time of their life (and then some) STAY AT GILLIGAN'S!!!!

Room Tip: 113, 114, 210, 131, 124, those are all good rooms. Rooms above reception are quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kelly H
Reviewed February 27, 2014

The staff in reception and bar are rude and cannot be bothered to even serve you let alone tell you of any deals, offers or recommend anything to do.
Very disappointed it's worse than base or nomads. They charge even to store your bags when you check out is $5 per item, your better off in a different hostel and using these facilities.

• Stayed: February 2014
Vanessa S, Director of Sales at Gilligans Backpackers Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

As disappointing as it is to read your comments they are appreciated. Management of both the Venue, and the Hotel will shortly address your feedback with their respective teams with a view to making immediate improvements. Many thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night, check in was fairly easy however the staff didn't seem very interested when we asked them for recommendations around cairns. Room was clean, bed was comfy, very basic though and don't think it was good value for the amount we paid. We didnt eat there, or use facilities but the pool area looked good as did the bar area! Location was good right in town but doubt i would stay again as we could stay in a hotel for the same price.

• Stayed: February 2014

Thankyou for taking the time to review your stay with us. I feel I should take this opportunity to point out that Gilligan's has had over 5.5 million dollars spent on a refurbishment in the last 4 years and offers a very high quality product to the Youth Adventure market. With $2 wi-fi for 24hrs, 24 hr reception & onsite security, central city location, 3 entertainment venues, stunning lagoon swimming pool, free travel advice, free airport pickup, and free evening meal with a drink purchase. Gilligan's is generally reviewed as being exceptionally good value for money.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Had the best time here and was gutted we didn't stay longer. If you like partying and meeting people then you'll love this. The rooms were great and had their own toilet and shower. Next to the hostel is a big bar which offers good meal deals and there's always something going on. The pool is lovely as well as the kitchen . Definitely made some good memories here. The only downside was the staff were quite slow checking in or if you wanted to get wifi it was take ages.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mccanna2011

Thankyou for your great feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Gilligan's here in Cairns. Your comments are appreciated by management and staff as well as your fellow travellers. In reference to the slow check in we are currently working on systems to make the this process more efficient for all future guests.