Upon check in you are greeted by unhappy and miserable staff, mainly the girls and anytime you want to ask a question you are greeted with a glare and the minimum reply. The 2 guys (minus mark) are lovely and were very helpful to me when I had some problems. They cared about me and did everything possible to help.
The rooms are clean and tidy and some of the best we've stayed in. And there are kitchens located on every floor which is nice and they don't get so full.
The nightclub is good, but the free (free with a drink) meal every night is below par. It's dry and boring, so not worth the hassle. Also the staff in the nightclub are just as miserable s reception staff. I was stood next to two Danish guys who ordered jugs of beer after 11pm. The girl was rude and shouted that they don't do jugs after 11. It confused the guys (obviously when English isn't you first language and you're in a loud nightclub, its easy to get confused) and so he asked her again. She gave him another horrible reply and I said to the guy next to me, "oh, she's mad!", she turned to me and shouted "I'm not mad, I'm just tired and I've been up since 5am". People like that shouldn't work behind bars and if you're not willing to talk a little bit slower and more reasonable to foreigners, you shouldn't work in a backpackers.
Apart from the awful staff, it's a good place to stay! Also the pizza shop located in the foyer is AMAZING!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gilligan's is the ultimate experience in accommodation and entertainment set in the heart of Cairns. Offering guests stylish backpacker accommodation, nightly entertainment and a relaxed atmosphere whilst soaking up the sun, why choose to stay anywhere else?All room types are fully equipped with full en-suite bathroom, air-conditioning and four floors of communal areas. Or perhaps try our deluxe dormitories; designed to offer that little bit extra. Available in 4 and 6 bed configurations, these rooms offer TVs, refrigerators and some have a private balcony to kick back and relax after a long day at the reef, rainforest or even a lazy day by our pool.Free linen, Free car parking, Free crockery use in kitchens, VIP prices for in house guests, Half price to our international DJ eventsand so much more ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Gilligans Backpackers Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gilligans Backpackers Hotel And Resort
- Gilligans Backpackers Hotel Cairns