“Beautiful day trip”

Green Island
Ranked #43 of 131 things to do in Cairns
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We visited Cairns over a weekend where it was raining a fair bit but were lucky enough to get a gorgeous, sunny day. We were recommended by people to book in advance however I booked one day before and was able to secure 2 spots in November 2013. We went with Big Cat Green Island Reef Tours and chose the standard package including snorkel gear and the return boat transfer. The Island is small and has a walking trail which you can get done in 20 minutes. A few over priced eateries around. We stopped at a small crocodile park which we thought was a bit pricey however it turned out to be really cool inside and the guy taking care of the crocs is extremely passionate and really knows his stuff. The snorkelling was amazing! Lots of colourful fish to see and I was even lucky enough to see a turtle which I followed around for ages. Hot tip= wear sun screen if your snorkelling. That harsh Australian sun will leave a nice raw mark on your entire back!

2  Thank Koota90
Write a ReviewReviews (1,900)
All reviews
in 16 reviews
"turtles"
in 259 reviews

Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

I am a great believer of the value of great customer service. From the moment we checked in at the Green Adventures counter in Cairns we knew we had booked a great product. It can be quite expensive to stay here, but I believe it is worth every cent. Green Island is packed with the day trippers and there is strong Chinese and Japanese visitation. Once they hit the island, they spread out across this magical place and it does not seem to be over crowded. When the daytrippers leave, those staying overnight have the place all to themselves. The resort offers hotel guests many activities that are included in the rate, including snorkeling equipment, glass bottom boat tours, buffet breakfast and nature based tours. The accommodation is superb, clean and comfortable villa style with full sized bathrooms and balcony. Being a small island with about 25 staff, dining facilities are limited. During the day,the regular burgers, chips and pizza style menus are available along with restaurant quality meals, but after 5pm the take away options close leaving only the restaurant or room service. But the food and the service is wonderful. We stayed two nights and enjoyed each option. But to add to this great resort with multi lingual staff, you are sitting right on Australia's Great Barrier Reef. All I wanted to see was a giant turtle, I ended up seeing over 10 of these beautiful and graceful creatures. I also saw thousands of sardines become dinner for not only the birdlife taking dives for these fish, but also a school of impressive Giant Trevally which is a regular occurance in the early evenings I understand. So the resort is highly recommended and if you visit, I hope you are as impressed as I was.

1  Thank TravelVideos
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Find a smaller charter to take you. The big cat was rife with the stench of sea sick. The island itself is lovely. Not sure what the complaint is about the cost of food on the island. It was less than I expected.

2  Thank BotanicaFarm
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This is one of the most developed and most visited islands in the reef area near Cairns, and it shows. Although stunningly beautiful, the crowds have taken a toll. The resort looks cool but the pool is kind of small and unimpressive, the bar is basic and you cannot see the ocean from much of the resort due to the lovely tropical trees. The beaches are great sand, the birds are plentiful and the water is beautiful. But the boats come in and drop off hundreds of people who jump in the water or run around the island so it is a bit like going to the mall on a weekend. Not overly peaceful.

1  Thank sheri7960
See more reviews
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I was so disappointed with the island. I snorkelled around near the jetty - where the boat crew said I was "guaranteed to see turtles" and nemo fish...I saw 2 different types of fish and some sand, a tiny bit of sea grass, and lots of sticks in the water. No coral. No turtles. No nemo fish. The brochure describes it as surrounded by coral. I spoke with people who went on the glass bottom boat and they said they saw lots of DEAD coral. The Green Island Resort lets you use their showers. They are COLD. Don't bother paying for an expensive boat ride to see a dead island with a resort that offers guests COLD showers. Is this how Australia treats its tourists by promising something that is not there?

5  Thank 775traveller