“Trip cancelled evening before without warning”
Review of Falla Reef Trips

Falla Reef Trips
Boston, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Trip cancelled evening before without warning”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

My review is based on the circumstances under which Falla Reef Trips failed to provide me with a reef trip. I trust that their activities are indeed well executed, but TripAdvisor users should be properly cautioned.

Based on TripAdvisor ratings and reviews along with a personal recommendation from a friend, I booked a full-day activity (reef tour with snorkeling) by email a few days before traveling to Cairns. The trip was confirmed by Falla Reef Trips three days in advance and two days in advance. On the evening before the trip, I was told that the trip was cancelled due to a lack of sufficient bookings. It was the last week of September and hence not an extremely low season. If it weren't for heroic effort by the manager of my hotel (and the good fortune of getting her involved), I would have lost the day completely rather than finding another reef trip at the last minute.

I don't expect Falla to run a day trip with too few people to make it worth their while, but better professional treatment would be to warn me in advance that the number of bookings is not yet enough to justify a trip.

Visited September 2013
Douglas M, Owner at Falla Reef Trips, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
We are very sorry our Falla experience did not happen for you and apologize for any inconvenience caused. During the afternoon in question we received a group booking cancellation that left us with no option but to cancel. Had we been able to contact you personally we would have gotten you on another trip without hesitation. My plan was to offer to personally walk you over and introduce you to the crew of the replacement vessel the next morning if required. We are all competitors on the waterfront as well as friends. We help each other out in these situations.
As soon as this situation presented itself, multiple attempts to contact you were exhausted. I then performed the only remaining option. I got onto email and sent the news to you. It was all so frustrating not being able to contact you personally. It was not my intention to leave you to your own resources. I didn't receive your email until early the next morning.
We at Falla Reef Trips are very proud of the way we treat our guests from taking bookings to our last goodbyes of the trip. It is our mission make sure that everyone gets the very best day possible. In order to ensure our success in this endeavor it is essential that we are presented with a readily accessible contact. My personal mob# is provided upon booking. Respectfully, Douglas Meyer Owner/ Operator/ Captain... Falla

• Korean first
Monrovia, California, United States
“Great Experience”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We so enjoyed the whole day on the Falla. As seniors (80 and 72) we were a little hesitant, but really wanted to see the Great Barrier Reef. We were not disappointed, the crew was very helpful, the snorkeling experiences were amazing (they stayed close so we never felt uneasy). The food and the sites were great. The beautiful Falla, with sails, and a colorful history - was so enjoyable. Captain Doug was so knowledgeable and shared the history of the Falla. It was nice that with 19 other passengers, and a crew of 5 - you never lacked for anything. We highly recommend this as the best of reef tours..

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Joan W
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Wonderful”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Once in a lifetime. We saw dolphins, turtles, stingrays, sharks and many other species. Beautiful boat, wonderful staff. Amazing meals. 10 to 20 people, the crew will take care of you. Please choose them over overcrowded and commercial tours. You won't regret.

2 Thank Luca B
Auckland, New Zealand
“Best trip on the reef”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This very nice pearl boat brings you out in the reef. It seems to be a much better experience than other industrial boat around. The team is great. Sharing a full day with people like if you we're with some friends aboard. Captain is passionate and makes your trip comfy with accurate information about the reef. He knows schedules to avoid crowded moments and let you enjoy the reef as much as you wish. Thanks doug for this awesome day,! Good food included

1 Thank Ericeli
Waiheke Island, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Supreme reef snorkeling experience”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

If you have a chance, definitely choose the Falla over the more flashier, modern boats that are out there - you won't be sorry! The crew is very friendly and entertaining, you will get fed throughout and there'll even be wine! Captain Doug will tell you lots of interesting stories about the reef, the Falla and life in general - these are not to be missed. The locations visited on the reef were exquisite and snorkeling tips from Emma, invaluable =D Thank you for an awesome experience and a memorable day! Keep it up!

1 Thank AnniTari