“Unique Experience”

Cairns
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Unique Experience”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

A lovely and nostalgic way to get to the reef. We are Cairns locals who are no strangers to the reef, we have been to the reef many times with many companies but I enjoyed the friendly and earthy experience of the Falla and her Captain Doug and her helpful crew.

Captain Doug impressed me as a true believer, and his love for his ship and the reef is clear to all who travel with him. His knowledge of the reef, history and many other things makes for an interesting and adventurous trip.

Sure to be back

Daren and Natalya

2 Thank Natalya S

• Korean first
Toorak, Victoria, Australia
“Great Barrier Reef Snorkel Scuba Awesomeness With a Difference.”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

So glad I chose this boutique style reef tour over one of the larger tour boats. This trip felt less like a tourist activity and more like a private party on a friends yacht.

Had the best day ever. Being on this maritime wooden classic, with its all wood deck, fittings and interesting history, was like stepping back in time to a day when the world was more carefree.

I got to steer the ship and climb to the top of the mast ladder, where I was treated to a 360 degree top of the world view of a sea paradise, just like in the tourist brochure pics. Other guests helped raise the sails, as well as jumping and somersaulting off the side.

Saw a turtle up close, a squid and what seemed like over a hundred different types of fish and coral of a multitude of colours.

There were 18 guests on board, a comfortable and intimate number, with a crew of 6, so we all got as much individual attention as we required.

Having a strong anxiety about being in water out of my depth, the crew did a truly professional job of abating my fears, giving me undivided individual attention at all times until I felt comfortable in the water. I was provided with a multitude of floaty devices including a super floaty wetsuit, floaty noodles and a life ring.

Different options for experiencing the reef were offered including snorkelling, scuba diving and viewing through a class tubular device from within a small boat if you didn't want to get in the water. There was also the option of scuba diving with your own personal instructor, even if you have no scuba experience.

Great fun experience and well worth the price. I'll be back on board at my next visit to Cairns.

Cairns, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Relaxed Reefing with the Falla”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My lady and I have lived in Cairns now for three years and realised that we had never done the Reef. Skirting through the internet we came across the Falla. I did a bit of sailing in my youth and the idea of seeing the reef on a sailing vessel appealed. So we booked. It was agreat choice.

Tea and coffee on arrival. The safety talk was hilarious. The motor started up and we headed off for the 18 mile trip out. Only 17 passengers on board, 4 crew. Very personal. Set the sails a little later. No AC, but a beautiful breeze and there is plenty of shade. Sometimes you just have to rough it a bit!

The first snorkelling location was great. Beautiful coral and brightly coloured fish abounded. We probably spent 45 minutes in the water before returning to the Falla. Lunch awaited. Simple fare but plenty of it. The second snorkelling venture was to a sand cay. It's quite strange to stand in the middle of the reef, 18 miles out. Saw stingrays, turtles (maybe the same one a few times?), and plenty of spectacular fish.

The return to Cairns was an opportunity for me to steer the boat, as many on bord took the opportunity to do. Afternoon tea and later wine and cheese were forthcoming. Captain Doug even gave arecount of the Falla's fateful history. Arrrrrgh!!!!

If you want to escape to the reef in air-conditioned comfort with all the mod-cons, the Falla is not for you. But if you want a taste of history, a personalised trip and a leisurely pace, give the Falla a go. We had a great day and want to thank Doug and his crew greatly.

1 Thank David L
wellington
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fantastic Falla”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We have just completed a absolutely fantastic day snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef. After searching for a while I came across the Falla, that is a small family run business that prides itself on showing you a real Cairns 'Great Barrier' experience, something I don't believe you would get on the large commercial companies.
The snorkelling diving sites were great, unspoilt and there were only 18 people in the water. We saw a great variety of coral, fish and turtles. The food was excellent and Captain Doug and his crew could not do enough. It was great to set the sails and assist in steering the boat, and without a doubt this is the best experience of our east coast experience.

Melbourne, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Best day out on the reef by far!”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We are in Cairns from Victoria for a week only so really wanted to choose a few stand out places to visiti/things to do.
I cannot rate Doug and his crew on the Falla any higher!, small numbers mean plenty of space on the boat and it also means quicker off the boat and in to the water exploring.
Doug does a few talks on the history or the boat, coral and pearl fishing.
You are served morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, cake, cheese and wine!
It's a personalised experience that the bigger cruises lack.

You stop in 2 places on the reef and the amount of beautiful sea life you get to see is amazing! Even sea turtles and stingray.
We are coming back again next year and we will definately bring the whole family along!