“Cheap but comfortable hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hides Hotel Cairns

Hides Hotel Cairns
Ranked #58 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Sydney
“Cheap but comfortable hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night here on my tropical holiday after I couldn't get a fourth night at the Mantra Esplanade at the discounted rate. Staff are friendly and welcoming. There's no $100 deposit or credit card imprint required on check-in, which was a bonus because I was at the end of my trip and low on funds. Not the nicest room, bur adequate. My TV didn't work and the air conditioner only worked with the door key in it. Since noone explained that, I spent a miserable two hours in a stuffy room with sunburn, until I did some investigating and worked it out. My room opened up to a large balcony, which gave my stay a taste of colonial, tropical North Qld. And you could smoke out there too. Free continental breakfast of cereals, toast and boiled eggs filled me up for my trip home to Sydney. So while I probably wouldn't to stay for more than a few nights, for the price, it was a great experience.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank andrewstuart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

I've stayed in this hotel twice now and I'm always pleased with the great value it offers and the location. You can get to the bus stops, supermarket etc... within a couple of minutes. The rooms, as has been said before, are basic but they have everything you need for a base. I really appreciated there being a fridge and tea and coffee making facilities in the room. The bathroom was large (shower only) and clean.

My favourite thing about this hotel is the breakfast setting. People who have reviewed it are right, there isn't the biggest range of choice but it's free and you get to sit outside and watch the birds and relax over breakfast which was great. I'm happy with juice, tea, toast and jams so I loved it!! It's the thing that made me go back there again!

It does have the internet but it was quite expensive. Good range of tour material in the lobby and they were happy to book us a bus for a trip we did to Port Douglas.

The only thing that I wasn't happy with on the 2nd visit was that I had a room above a bar on a weekend and there was a live band playing, no matter how tightly I closed the windows, curtains, turned the tv up it was still very loud!

Overall I would stay here again but maybe take earplugs.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Frederiksberg, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

The hotel is located right in the middle of everything in Cairns, very nice location.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
Room was clean and tidy. Not the prettiest room ever, but it was alright. Bed was comfy enough.
For the price, I would stay here again.
The breakfast was quite poor, and we ended up getting brekkie at a breakfast spot right around the corner.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

Overall a satisfying stay due to the convenient location and good price off Agoda.com . Rooms were old and abit run down though. Friendly hotel receptionists, and fantastic buffet breakfast (if only we could wake up in time to enjoy more)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LKYtheGreat
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

Since we were traveling with our family we needed multiple rooms. The price was right, but would the hotel be clean? Yes, we were pleased to discover. For a basic accommodation the rooms were clean. Keep in mind you get what you pay for, as the only amenity is the hotels location to the promenade, Pier and Casino. Also, they do provide quite the nice breakfast on their verandah which came in handy with our teenage boys. We did have a bit of a hiccup at checkin but the front desk staff went out of their way to make sure our needs were taken care of. If you plan on spending your time and money in Cairns on outdoor activities then this is a great place to rest your head.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

It's not the newest place but was clean and comfortable and was centrally located near shops and the lagoon. Breakfast is served out on the big verandah upstairs overlooking the town centre. The Paleo cafe is also around the corner.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

A girlfriend and I booked the budget room with shared bathroom. We found the room fine and the included breakfast was fantastic with so much to choose from. Staff were unreal but our two single beds belonged on the tip. We had an unserviced room but were able to change our own sheets which was great. When we removed our sheets to remake the bed we nearly died when we seen what we were sleeping on. We were upgraded to another room which we very much appreciated, just be worned, check under the sheets. Hotel staff was so obliging and friendly but owner needs to spend some money on things that count and maintenance.Hotel is central to everything and we walked everywhere. Unbelievable 8 days.Would stay again but would check the bed first.

Room Tip: Rooms with there own bathrooms were much cleaner than the budget rooms.