“Helpful and Friendly Staff”

Bay Village Tropical Retreat
Ranked #27 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed in one of the flats on the opposite side of the street in a two bedroom unit. We had a couple of issues with leaking taps and not enough cooking utensils and dryer not working but the staff helped in fixing these problems straight away only complaint is no B.B.Q at these units. We stayed there 11th August to 18th August

Room Tip: Rooms above second floor hear more noise above
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed August 15, 2014

We stayed with our family in one of the flats on the opposite side of the street. Two bedrooms, a large diningroom with kitchen and good equipped bathroom made our stay to luxury one. Only the dishwasher was a little bit small.
We stayed here in July 2011.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Our last day here, (7 in all) and I still can't find anything BAD to say about the place....Maybe it is that the pool was cold?...but then it is Winter so...
The staff are good, the room is good, the food is good, location is good....good,good,good is all I can say....
The Balinese style restraunt is magic and worth dining at ...
then if you want good ol 'Ozzie' style food head to the Cock 'n' Bull pub just 500mtrs up the road, but be prepared to eat well....

It is close enough to walk to the Esplanade and mix it with the the crowds in the evening for shopping or dining....

So all in all, if you're coming to Cairns, and want to be near, but 'far from the maddening crowds', then the Bay Village Tropical Reatreat is the place to stay......was for us.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for night in a 2 bedroom apartment with my wife & 2 children, for one night; saturday 12th July 2014.
I found adequate in almost every way, fresh & clean.
Unfortunately, others wanting to stay here shouldn't expect a hot shower or bath.
The 2 bedroom unit includes 2 bathrooms, 1 of which includes a full sized bath, which was the main attraction for my wife.
On the night of our arrival, 1 of the children had a quick shower & my wife began running a bath. The bath would have been lucky to be 1 quarter full before the hot water ran out.
The following morning my wife contacted reception to enquire if this was normal, hoping to have her bath on the morning of checkout. Reception informed us that this was not normal & sent housekeeping (for some bizarre reason) to check out the problem, there was little they could do, so I decided to investigate myself. The electric hot water cylinder was located inside a cupboard off the main living area. On checking the capacity of the unit, I noticed that it was a small 80 litre unit, no where near sufficient for 4 people. As someone who works in building design I can profess that this hot water system is suitable for 1 person only, definitely not for a family. My hot water system at home is 250 litres. As it turns out, on checkout morning my wife & I had two very fast, world record pace showers & that was it for the hot water. No bath, no hot water for the kids. When checking out from the hotel we enquired about this, reception replied by saying "You need to have quick showers". Well, if my wife & I had showered any quicker we wouldn't have got wet, still not enough hot water for 4 people. I call this skimping to the extreme.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a hot shower before you get there
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank tandarra
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed at the Bay Village Tropical Resort twice when in the Cairns area this past month. Open air, quaint, and a very short walk to all the downtown restaurants and area attractions.

We had a studio room which comprised of a twin and single bed, small kitchenette area, table, microwave, refrigerator, table, small bathroom with shower, large screen tv. The room was clean, and although a few of the amenities may be a bit worn, it was a perfect layout since one of my sons was traveling with us. Water pressure was awesome, and plenty of hot water was always available.

Grounds included a bar/restaurant, small pool, well landscaped grounds, washer/dryer, and protected parking.

Front desk was always friendly, present, and capable of dealing with any of our requests. Wi-fi was limited to one device and 5 hours per stay, and as long as you log out as they recommend, it was ample for our needs while at the hotel. Computers are available if extended surfing is needed.

The restaurant had a great breakfast buffet, with several tiering options for the type of breky you were looking for. The Balinese dinners served here were amazing!!!! Plan on reservations, as this is one of the top restaurants in Cairns, and is booked often with large groups. It would of been nice to see the restaurant open earlier (6AM instead of 6:30) to allow us to eat here more often before our tours picked us up.

Our only complaint were the mattresses on the beds. They are in need of replacement. I require a firmer mattress for my back. Some black out blinds would be nice too to keep the ambient lighting out of the room.

Room Tip: The staff will let you tour a room to ensure that you pick something to suite your taste.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank DeepBlueDives
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment for a week. Overall I would have to say I was really happy staying here. The prices are affordable, the rooms are clean, there are air conditioners in every room, and it's a short walk from the centre of town. The staff were friendly and helpful when ever we needed anything, and we were even allowed to use the car park for a rental car we had. There is a great restaurant attached to the hotel as well. I would recommend Bay Village if you are staying in Cairns.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed in a 1 bedroom with kitchenette on 1st floor. Staff very friendly and helpful. I loved it was so clean & had a good relaxing feel about the place. The Balinese restaurant was just superb and you could also get takeaway which was handy. We looked into this place beforehand and knew it was approx 25min walk to Marlin Wharf - which we enjoyed the exercise or bus was just around the corner. The bed was very comfortable but the pool a bit cold to swim, otherwise our stay was very enjoyable. We thought the price was very good value and would not hesitate in staying again. There is also a convenience store almost across the road. This is in the hospital area which wasn't a bother at all.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple