Bay Village Tropical Retreat
Great 4.5/5
Rainbow Inn(Cairns)
    • Breakfast included
    • Pool
    All reviewsbalinese restaurantstudio roomsmall poolcairns hospitalcontinental breakfasttown centreno elevatorkitchen areafree upgradesingle bedcomfortable stayreception staffthe great barrier reefwashing machinebayleafesplanadekitchenette
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed July 13, 2013

On checking in, I was pleasantly surprised to see such a nice looking reception and pool area. The staff were friendly and the room was modern and clean. However, I was very disappointed to find that the 'kitchenette' consisted of a fridge and kettle. I booked a room at this hotel specifically because according to TripAdvisor , the hotel's amenities included kitchenettes.

The biggest problem with this hotel is the soundproofing. I stayed in room 121, which is at the top of a flight of stairs from the reception area. Occasionally the sound from the reception carried through the floor. There was also a section of textured paving tiles at the top of the stairs, which created the most unbelievable noise when guests arrived late at night and rolled their suitcases across it. The first time I was woken up at 3:30am, I actually thought the suitcase noise was an articulated lorry on the way to the Cairns Base Hospital building site around the corner. Be warned - earplugs are not enough!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
    2  Thank Caz134
    Reviewed July 9, 2013

We booked and stayed in a Studio Room. Great sized apartment with the basics for a kitchenette. No cooktop but we did not want one and a microwave fine by us. What more could you want on a holiday. Large shower bathroom. Public transport, if you want it, is one to 2 streets away. Less than a 5 minute walk to the front and a nice 15 - 20 min leisurely walk to the centre. We booked through an online agency and received excellent value. The staff were all very friendly and extremely helpful. Great value overall and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
    1  Thank macca46
    Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights, and were upgraded to a 2-bed apartment as it was our honeymoon. We were also pleased to find some free smellies and a voucher for a free dessert platter at the hotel restaurant - nice touches!

The apartment was massive, and in a complex over the road from the main hotel. It had a small pool that was bitterly cold with limited space around it. However, as Cairns is basically a base for exploring the rainforests and reef, the pool was under-used and so relatively peaceful.

Location-wise this is set back on the main road and about a 15 minute walk from the main restaurants in Cairns. If there are hotels closer to the Esplanade at similar prices it might be worth checking those out first if you want to be closer to the action, however judging by the buzz on the Esplanade I would guess closer locations might prove noisier. We got some noise through the night from passing party-goers but not too much.

Breakfast is served in the hotel restaurant and is a basic continental. Wifi is not free but you do get 20 minutes free use of the hotel's computer.

In all we were impressed with the room upgrade and the size of the apartment, but disappointed with the hotel location and with Cairns in general. In fact, if you're only going here in order to see the Rainforests and Reef then it might be worth checking out Port Douglas instead as it's closer.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
    2  Thank Kazgraz
    Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Bay Village during the very busy QLD school holidays! Despite being full we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment from a 1 bedroom!

The larger apartments are in a separate building across the street from reception, but we were walked over and the second building has secure carport parking!

Location wise it is a 5 minute walk from 'muddy's' playground - a MUST for families, beach volleyball courts and free bbq's! The main area of town is about a 15min pleasant walk!

Our apartment had 2 x bedrooms ( one king with ensuite and 1 twin with separate bathroom), full kitchen with full size fridge and laundry with washer, dryer.

The staff are attentive and helpful! There are 2 pools, one on the main complex and one in the apartment block! Both modest in size but refreshing and the perfect place to cool off! Note, that they are not heated in the winter but fine for us southeners traveling to thaw!

Breakfast was included daily in the Bay Leaf restaurant - the provisions were plentiful and the staff delightful! The restaurant is Balinese and a true asset to Cairns - deserving of all it's awards!

We enjoyed every minute of our week here and would most certainly return!

• Stayed: June 2013
    1  Thank 25pixie
    Reviewed June 24, 2013

Bay Village Resort, has been an excellent place to stay for my 10 days in Cairns this month. Its not far for a leisurely walk into the city centre, or local buses pass across the road. My room was excellent, with regular cleaning if required. I choose to have my room made up on the days i was away on trips out of town. It had a microwave, fridge, sink, table & chairs. Which enabled me to have some meals in my room. Washing facilities are good. The staff were friendly and helpful. There is lots of outdoor areas for sitting around, either by the pool or in the tropical garden. The bathroom was clean and had all you need. I was in the tropical garden area downstairs, had no problems with noise etc. people have to talk and move around, after all you are in resort accommodation. There is a restaurant attached to the resort, i had my final breakfast there and it was good value. I got 5 hours free internet. The cock n bull tavern around the corner had wholesome hearty meals which i had a couple of. And shops are close by to get other food. All the tour companies will pick up and drop off there. And local buses can take you to the town centre, botanical gardens, palm cove, the zoo etc. The only whinge I have is when i went to check in and print the boarding pass on their computers, i could checkin but not print it out, as the computers aren't set up to print remotely to a printer in the office. I enjoyed my stay there and would stay again. Very reasonably priced. Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo