“Excellent Place to Stay”

Bay Village Tropical Retreat
Ranked #27 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Bay Village Tropical Retreat was an excellent choice. Within a 15-20 minute walk from the beaches area, our unit was large, clean, affordable, had in-apartment laundry facilities, a delightful and large balcony and all the amenities I could need. The staff were helpful and the atmosphere was friendly and upbeat. My only negative reaction, as a senior, was that there was no elevator in my building. However, staff were quite willing to assist me with suitcases up and down, so it was not really a problem. Great place to stay!

Room Tip: Larger apartment units are across the street from the main building and have no elevator access.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dorothy T

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We loved this apartment, and could have stayed for longer. The rooms were very spacious and cleaned every day. The pool was lovely and staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and helped us book several tours during our stay. They have great knowledge of the local area, and can advise which trips to do during your stay. The apartments are located approx 10 minute walk to the restaurants and bars, but it is a pleasurable walk along the esplanade. There are also several grocery shops all within a 5-10 minute walk. I would recommend doing a trip to the Great Barrier Reef, visit to Kuranda and do a skydive with Tandem Cairns! There is a fantastic Mexican restaurant near the train station called Green Ant Cantina which is one of the best Mexican restaurants I have ever eaten in.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kelly0582010
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Outstanding friendly service I can not recommend them enough, nothing is too much for the staff to help you with. If you want a relaxing experience in the way of accommodation ten this is the place to stay. Thank you to Chris for all your help :-)

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Andy-neets
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed four nights here as a solo traveller in December and really enjoyed my stay.
My room was huge and had everything you could need, including a small kitchenette area, although I ate out each evening. I had a shared balcony, but, being on the end of the run, this was quite private.
The staff were really friendly and helped with trips etc. They helped me with bus routes and I went to (amazing) Trinity Beach that way, which is about an hour on a very cheap bus.

Breakfast was good. I chose continental, but there were other options, and the selection was fine.
I didn't eat in the evening there, as it was Balinese and the veggie choice was limited, but it seemed a popular restaurant.
I did have a wine by the pool each evening and the bar staff were great. However, the interior of the bar is not separated from the food area and I could not personally sit inside with the strong smell. Other people did, though.

The only slight downside for me was that, with the stunning landscaping, there is very limited space for sitting in the sun. All the tables were shaded and the pool had a very small area around it, with only 4 loungers in the sunny area.
Because Cairns is not a safe swimming or sunbathing beach, I would have liked a sunny day by the pool, but this was a small, personal thing, and there is a large, free, outdoor public pool on the waterfront in the city.

All the guest areas were lovely and clean, the laundry area is great and the ambience fantastic.

As a lone traveller, I did not feel confident to walk into town at night (about 20 mins), but was fine to in the day.
There are very few eateries around this hotel (that I could find), but taxi's are reasonable.

The Bay provided a free bus to the airport, but I was sad to leave. It was great value, too.

Recommended.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank seashellseeker
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed in an apartment with one bedroom. Spacious, clean and contained everything you would need. Reception staff helpful and Balinese restaurant adjoining hotel was great. Internet a bit slow. About a 20 minute walk from the centre but Cairns isn't big and pace is slow, so wasn't an issue for us.

Room Tip: Be aware that if you are one of the rooms above reception, the patio area does have guests sitting a...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ExploringSoul
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We did not choose to stay at Bay Village, but we stayed for 5 nights !!!, Due to the fact the 4wd vehicle brokedown in Cape York, which we was on a tour with - Frontier Safari / Australian Wild Escapes.. on day 4 of a 10 day Fly/Drive. The Safari was cancelled and we all flew back to Cairns to this Hotel.

The Hotel was very nice, rooms were cleaned every day and are very well equipped, very helpful staff.

The Hotel staff helped as much as they could, as they had 12 unhappy customers turn up late at night, as the cancelled safari was to include all meals for the 10 day holiday, so we all thought the safari company would pay for our meals for the rest of our holiday.. But the owner of Frontier Safari - Grant Charlesworth would not pay for our meals while at the hotel, and this upset us all.. The Hotel Manager was very helpful the next day and even emailed Grant Charlesworth on our behalf to try and sort things out.. But Grant Charlesworth still refused to pay all our meals, and eventually paid just 3 breakfast.. We was grateful to the Hotel Manager, she tried to help us, even though it was not the Hotels fault..

The Pool was lovely, staff helpful, good breakfast.

I would recommend Bay Village Tropical Retreat.. But Not the safari

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
11  Thank john536
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Another review on the same place but OMG the difference between the 2 bedroom and 1 bedroom, we'll let me start wow wow and wow
2 bedroom is hugh 2 bathrooms , washing machine, dryer , dishwasher so bright and spacious and the staff are absolutley fantastic they get a 5***** rating I would highly recommend 2 bedroom you pay a little bit more but it is well worth it

• Stayed: December 2012