“A special place”

and 1 more site!
Cairns Girls Hostel
Ranked #52 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed November 4, 2013

This was an incredibly charming, hospitable place, with great hosts and lots of friendly guests. A lot of the "girls" seemed to be staying longer than the people in most hostels. It was not at all fancy, and lacked air conditioning in our spartan (but comfortable) room, but the atmosphere was great. People looked up and said hello as we walked through the maze of rooms searching for, say, a shower. The price was wonderful, but when we came back to Cairns we stayed at a more modern (and less friendly) place. The location was great, right downtown, and we felt secure and cared for.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SugarMountain1
There are newer reviews for Cairns Girls Hostel

Reviewed December 25, 2012

There is an abundance of hostels in Cairns that are all within walking distance to the town and each other, and all within a reasonable budget. However, one thing that makes the Cairns Girls Hostel stand out from the others is the fact that this is an all-girls hostel. If you're used to staying in hostels you would know that most hostels are noisy and often full of late-night young party people, which is something that you would not have to face here in the Cairns Girls Hostel.

Getting there is simple enough - just book a ride at the Sun Palm Public Shuttle Bus counter at the Cairns airport for AUD$10 one way (or AUD$10 return ticket) and they'll send you right to the hostel doorstep.

The environment is safe and clean, with three kitchens to cook from; where most tenants would do their own cooking. Kitchens are fully equipped with basic amenities, microwave and oven, plates, cutlery etc. Toilets and showers are separate and clean. One thing that you must keep in mind, though, is that most of the rooms are with ceiling fans, and with the heat in Cairns, the rooms are quite hot. The common room is nice and cool though, only you're not allowed to bring food/drink there.

Rooms are relatively okay and clean by hostel standards. Beds were not exactly comfortable with thin mattresses, but this is the case with most hostels. Sheets are provided.

One complaint that I would have about my stay though, is that I had to wait two hours before I could be assigned to a room, as I made my booking via e-mail communication to Jenny, the owner, who wasn't present at the time I arrived, and I hadn't been assigned a room. You'd best book through Hostelbookers.com or any other online site to be safe. Mario, the co-owner at the time, was quite apologetic about it though, so I wouldn't take it to heart.

The location is quite good, and there is a launderette right next to the hostel entrance. Cairns business district is within walking distance.

Overall, I'd recommend this hostel to females travelling alone, or those looking for a basic place to stay and not for partying, and for its convenient location.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
11  Thank IzzyKL
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Great location , i got up early every morning to go swimming or look around shops i really loved cairns out of all the places in austrilla, it was basic but it was clean and safe the most important things we got food vouchers for the pubs , i did find the ait conditiong bad my only complaint .bus tours picked us up right outside the hotel for rafting, great barrier reef, gus the bus laundrette right beside it food shops down the road loads of food place sto eat good nightlife .lady that owned it was lovely but outr last few days a young girl had bought it of her and she wasnt as nice ....cheap warm showers internet just make sure u have coins for it

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
13  Thank Mary J
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Can nearly only say good things about this hostel!
Very clean, very nice staff, good kitchen, quiet and nice atmosphere. No party hostel, I like that a lot.
Its safe cause you can get a key for a locker near the kitchen from the receptionist,
Only negative points are, there is no free internet, the toiletroom itself doesnt have a sink, other nearby hostels were loud, and the beds were not the most comfortable ones, but still ok. overall I can recommend every girl and woman this hostel!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Nina23983
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We really loved staying at the girls hostel in cairns. We had just arrived with the bus at 6am and the let us in the room directly so that we could get some rest. It was so nice cause we just have had some terrible nights on bus and on the boat to whitsundays so it was really nice! It was a little bit more expensive than in the rest of Cairns but still worth it for us. It was like the cleanest hostel we ever stayed in and as it's all girls it's pretty quite.

I would defently stay there next time if it's not with my boyfriend since he's not allowed ;-)

• Stayed: March 2012
7  Thank Gloriaaas
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Excellent hostel, i stayed here in Jan this year and it is very safe, facilites are good - kept very clean!! Plenty of places to chill out and just a very nice hostel. I would definately reccommend. Excellent location too. For me the only one down side is the lack of power points, the only ones I had were outside the room but this would definately not put me off going back, This was one of the best hostels i stayed in

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank carlyh5
Reviewed October 14, 2011

When traveling alone in a foreign city as a women it may be scary to stay in a hostel. Once I heard about this all girls hostel I booked it. It was $20 a night for a bed in a six bed room. It was very clean. There were multiple fridges and two kitchens. The owner gets you great deals on excursions if you book through the hostel, and they pick you up right outside! It was very safe and meeting the girls was a lot of fun! Also, a dinner at a local restaurant/bar was included every night. I liked it so much the first time, that I came back for a second visit.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo