$133
$140
$137
Hilton
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $152/night.

$271
$150
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of $174/night.

Reef Palms(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$112
$158
$149
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$104
$95
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of $110/night.

Mantra Esplanade Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$149
$121
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $143/night.

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Cairns Girls' Hostel is located in an easy to reach, excellent location. It was a very short ride from the airport and a few minutes walk from lots of the major things to do in the city. Dawn, the owner, was pretty friendly and easy to work with overall.
Do not expect to get too much sleep here in the morning While the hostel itself was pretty quiet and all the other women were friendly, the nights and early mornings were LOUD. There is a car rental store next door and they wash cars from about 7am. Also, because of the location there are sometimes loud people (drunk?) walking down the street and yelling in the middle of the night. The oscillating fan in our room also made a consistent and very annoying screech..clunk, clunk, clunk ALL NIGHT. Also, you may want to have something to deal with bugs in the rooms. I was wishing for something to spray around the room when I had a cockroach crawling up my arm as I got ready for bed one night!
There were also a few "surprise" costs. The website says linens are provided, but towels are $3 to rent. The website says 20$ key deposit--and that is per person, even if you are renting a twinshare room together. The "free evening meal" is a ticket for ONE night only to get a meal at a certain local bar/restaurant--with the purchase of a drink. Internet is 3$/hour and you can either use one of their computers or connect your own to their wifi. There also aren't supposed to be men in the hostel, but there was a man in the lounge area on our floor watching TV one night. Not a big deal, but I was glad I was totally dressed that time around!
I would be willing to stay there again for the convenience of the location and the privacy of having a women-only hostel, but probably only if they had a good rate. Overall, it's average.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank ama658
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Stayed at Cairns Girls Hostel over a year ago for nearly a week. The hostel is a homey place, nice female atmosphere, there's a proper living room, kitchen, open air spaces, and the rooms are big enough, no bunk beds (even if beds are a bit small but you get your space). Nice and safe place to stay on a solo travel or with your female mates. The owner is an energetic and helpful woman who will help you in finding the right trip and things to do in the surrounding (Barrier reef, Atherthon tablelands, Cape Trib...)she will also book your tour/next accomodation for no charge.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 4, 2010

I spent my first night in Cairns at a caravan park with my sister, but it was raining quite heavily so we decided that a hostel would be a better option. We called the Girls Hostel in the morning and booked for 2 nights into a double room.

Upon arrival, early afternoon, we were advised that in addition to a AUD20/person key deposit (fairly standard) we had to pay the 2 nights in cash only up front. We didn't have that much cash so we agreed to pay later that night. Then we were taken to our room--a small, dusty "storage closet" behind reception, essentially in the owner's house. We opened the cupboard to put our bags and they were crammed with linens and suitcases. We were surprised and disappointed and decided that we would stay the night and then move to a hostel where one of our friends was staying. When we advised Dawn, the owner, she refused and insisted that we would have to pay the full 2 nights, that there were no exceptions to the 48 hour cancellation policy and that she had turned away other travellers to accomodate us. We decided to let it go and set out for the day to explore.

Upon reflecting during the day, we decided that there was no reason to stay the second night under those conditions, we had never been advised of the cancellation policy and we had only reserved the same day so couldn't possibly have cancelled any sooner. When we advised Dawn of this that evening upon our return, her husband Alan overheard and wandered over to jump in. He was rude, loud and aggressive. He accused of us trying to take advantage of them, of leaving without paying, which we were not--we agreed to pay for the one night that we were planning to stay. He swore at us, called us "cheap backpackers" that were trying to swindle him. I really cannot stress enough how unacceptable this was to us, to be verbally abused by a man in a Girls hostel. We remained calm and tried to rationalize with them to no avail. We stayed the night, payed for the night and left first thing the next morning.

Besides that, the rest of the hostel was fairly clean and the kitchens were well-equiped. It was quiet, but the atmosphere was more morose than peaceful.

I am a travel professional and certainly understand the importance of respecting reservations and booking conditions but there was no reason for the owners to alienate us and mistreat us, and nowhere else in Australia did we encounter such a rigid policy. As travellers, we deserve to be treated as visitors and clients and not rats preying on our hosts

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
9  Thank Viaquita
Reviewed March 30, 2010

I stayed for one night in this hostel in July 2008. Up until then, my experience of hostels in Australia was excellent. However, this was the exception.
I booked a room for four nights and was assured that I would get a small room with only four beds. I rang the owner to say my flight was delayed and that I probably wouldn't arrive until an hour later. She told me that she would leave the key out for me, which she did. But when I arrived, the room was a large one, with six beds, not what I asked for.
I couldn't sleep that night, because the bed was probably the most uncomfortable one I have ever slept on. The mattress was paper thin and I could feel the metal bottom of the bed pressing into my back. After a bad nights sleep, I got up early the next morning and said to the owner that I would have to change hostel.
She was very aggressive and said that I would have to pay the full five nights. Fair enough, if I had to pay 2 or even 3 nights. But, she made me pay the full 5. The situation with every other hostel I have encountered around the world, is that if you give at least 24-48 hours notice, you can cancel. Which would mean that I would only have to pay about 2 days.
But, she insisted on the full payment. I filled out a form to say that I stayed one night, but she took it back and amended the form to say five nights! She was so rude and scary that I just let it go, after a brief argument with her.
The hostel itself was clean, but the facilities were not good for the amount of people there. There were sparse bathroom facilities and the place itself felt more like a prison or a school, than a hostel. I mean if you're on holiday, you don't expect this.
Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
5  Thank ire3
Reviewed April 27, 2008

Having heard many horror stories from friends, I have avoided staying in hostels despite my many travels. But on my most recent trip to Australia, I wanted to save some money so I did some research and found the Cairns Girls Hostel. Since I was only going to be staying there for a few nights, I figured I'd give it a try. I am so glad that I did, because the Cairns Girls Hostel was fantastic! It was immaculate, with two well-equipped kitchens, many bathrooms, spacious living areas with TVs, and a fantastic staff that know how to book whatever tour or trip you could possibly want. There are also laundry facilities as well as coin-operated internet access. I certainly have no problem with co-ed situations, and having nothing else to compare my hostel experience to (except for college, I suppose), I can't really say whether or not the peace and quiet and cleanliness can be attributed to the girls-only policy but I didn't hear any of the early morning boozy noise I expected. I stayed in a double room, with two twin beds, A/C, a ceiling fan, and a dresser. For 24.00, it was a great value. I would definitely recommend the Cairns Girls Hostel to my friends and family.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo