“Great Backpacker Accomodation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 89 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Great Backpacker Accomodation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

This is one of the best hostels i have stayed in. The rooms are clean and fully airconditioned. Its located across the road from a massive shopping centre, which has a big food court (good for a cheap meal) and has a coles supermarket aswell. The Kitchen was one of the cleanest i have seen from a hostel. Kept clean by fellow backpackers and staff. All you saw was the staff cleaning. The reception staff were very helpful and gave you lots of choices for tours too the one that best suited you. We also got a free pancake breakfast every morning we were there. It had a good sized pool which was also very clean. Its about a 15 minute walk to the esplanade and the outdoor lagoon. amazing stay!

Room Tip: Double rooms are small but very clean. Air conditioning is in every room.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mission Beach, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

The rooms are basic, but clean. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. The location is ideal- close to a great shopping center, and plenty of restaurants and bars nearby. There is secure, enclosed parking as well, which is great to find in the wet season!

1 Thank joeyjojojuniorshabad
Busan, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

We really enjoyed this Backpackers. The staff was very helpful, the room was clean, and we could easily walk to all the places we needed to go. Wish we would of had time to swim in the pool! Thanks to the great staff for a great stay!!

1 Thank Orionsister
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

I have booked a single room in YHA Cairns. As always i can't complain, it was simply/ basic but clean as well located with a shopping mall and facilities close by.
Staff was helpful and gave me good suggestions for tours.
I would stay again cost x benefit worthwhile.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Shali72
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

I was in the Cairns YHA at the begining of december for 3 nights but I extended my stay for 4 nights more because I felt good at this place
The people at the front office was very nice and helpt me when I need it
I organised my 2 months in Australia from Cairns by Sandra, a very nice french girl. She helpt me in the reservation for the next YHA and for booking my trip (magnetic Island, fraser Island,white sundays ...greyhoundbus...)
This YHA is very friendly because the rooms are all over the pool, the kitchen, the bathroom but it s quiet
There is a good service: the kitchen opens at 5.30am, at 7am free pancakes, nice people at the reception until 11pm, shuttle bus for the airport, shopping centre front the reception ...
Rooms are simple but clean
Cairns is a very nice place
thanks for my stay in the Cairns Central YHA

Room Tip: i had a single room so it was more expansive but nice
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 583marie
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Very disappointed with my stay at the YHA in Cairns and definitely wouldn't check-in here again.

As a YHA member, I was disappointed that wifi isn't included in member discounts, but I was absolutely amazed that you are charged to leave your bags somewhere! I have *never* had to pay for somewhere to leave my bags in a youth hostel before!! My six hour gap between departure and flight cannot be unusual and so I imagine this is a significant money-making opportunity, and one that made me feel distinctly unappreciated as a member and guest. Furthermore, I had splashed out and booked a private room which was extremely basic in comparison to equivalents I have seen elsewhere, and I was almost amused that a frosted pane of glass in my window had simply been replaced with a clear pane instead. Its significance was less in the effect it had on me, but rather the level of service and opinion towards staying guests.

I received such a warm and friendly welcome from a very nice south-east Asian girl at reception when I arrived, but unfortunately this was not followed through by other staff. A woman called Sandra or Sandy at reception was extremely condescending and rude to me when I presented my debit card to pay for wifi. 'Really! Plastic? Plastic for that!' was her response, and then I was told that she would waive the debit card fee just this one time but I should consider myself lucky and it wouldn't be happening again. It seems like such a petty situation, but she kept going on about it in such a rude manner, and I always make a point in being polite and friendly to others so I can't even imagine I provoked a hostile response from bad attitude at my end. I concluded by advising her as politely as I could that if it was to cause such a problem, she should in future inform customers of this before they make a purchase, and hope this would be considered again should anyone from the YHA be reading this.

When someone gives you a patronising dressing down in public with no good reason, it stays with you and leaves you feeling flat. Apart from the wonderful service I received at check-in, I failed to receive any warmth or friendliness from any other staff at the YHA, which makes such an enormous difference when you are staying somewhere. I always go to the YHA as a first point of call because I trust them to put their members first, but all I got from the Cairns branch was a disinterested money-making focus where members and guests were of no importance. They unfortunately let the YHA brand down.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank PeripateticPom
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Highly Recommended!

For those who do not mind to share with other backpackers, YHA definitely saves you a lot of other unnecessary expenses. All we wanted is just a bed to overnight and a bathroom, YHA has it. It also provides free pancakes in the morning from 7-9am! How good is that!

YHA has a storage area for backpackers who reached Cairns earlier than check-in time. Me and my buddy reached Cairns early morning and we stored our stuff in the storage for 8 hours. We then retrieve our stuffs after we got back from tour.

You can book your tours with YHA stuffs. They are pretty friendly and very efficient. Let them know if you need to hire GoPro camera, internet or even changing your coins for laundry.

Room Tip: Room with 4 shared people with a bathroom is the best.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends