“Awesome”

and 1 more site!
Tropic Days Backpackers
Ranked #2 of 82 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed September 9, 2008

When your travelling alone and ya want to make freinds plus your not really one to go party every night then this is the hostel.
Cozy, laid back, informative, will book any trips 'for you', knows everybody who own the diving trips etc personally.

The front desk peeps can be abit jokey but don't take that as an insult, they're just ozzies, (and a kiwi) rip the piss right back out of them! They just like to banter.

Internet access/ Wi Fi/ TV Lounges/ Hammocks/ Pool/ Pizza and BBQ nights every week

But the best thing is the location, every cairns hostel is too close to town so when you want to escape you can't, it's no Gilligans.
A 15 minute direct walk to the town and it's all worthwhile when you open the shopping mall doors and the air con whacks you, then go buy a Boost drink ;)

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo

Reviewed May 18, 2008

This is by far the best hostel i stayed in when i was travelling the world. It had everything u could ask for, and was clen and tidy all the time. The atmosphere was second to none thanks to the friendly staff members and owners. The weekly events that they put on (i.e the BBQ and pizza night) are 100% worth staying in for. You have to pay slightly more for this hostel, but after staying there i know why. i loved every minute. I would reccommend this hostel to everyone and anyone.

• Stayed: March 2004, traveled solo
Reviewed March 28, 2008

I stayed here for about a week in December last year. i paid up front for the room, but wanted to leave after the first night. the reason for this was not because of the hostel itself, but as the other reviewer stated because of the rude receptionist. I too can not remember her name, but like the other traveller i experienced the same kind of treatment. after a long flight i booked in and all i wanted to do was take my backpack of my back and chill out. this person continued to try and sell me everything under the sun.i just wanted to leave after that. far too pushy if she was nice about it i would not mind but her overall attitude was bad. after a stern NO she got the message and left me alone.but was extremely rude to me afterwards because i would not buy anything of her. the hostel itself is nice, clean and the other travellers are very friendly. but after finding another hostel on the esplanade for cheaper, and much nicer atmosphere i would not stay here again. real shame about the staff member in question but it really put me of the place.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank misscookieDonegal
Reviewed May 20, 2007

We stayed in Tropic Days for about a week. The room we had, a double, was very comfy and we had a TV and a fridge. There are enough bathrooms around, so you wouldn't be waiting long for one if you wait at all. There is just one shower per bathroom aswell so its quite private- no cubicals- which is nice. The loos are the same. The kitchen is well equipped so if you didnt want to have the free meal, you could easily have dinner on the cheap by buying the ingredients yourself (theres a woolworths in town) and cooking it at the hostel. Their laundry facilities are good too, its about $3 to do a wash, which is like, a pound, so not a lot. The place is decorated really brightly, lots of paintings on the walls, which adds to its friendly vibe. They also do a free bus into town, which is well worth using as the walk in isn't far, but its not particularily inspiring scenery! Theres also lovely geckos all over which are really cute and eat the bugs- dont be squeemish, they'll come nowhere near you! The only down point is the neighbours. Sometimes they are out late at night and are quite noisy. Also, lock your suitcases up or keep your valuables close to you at all times- the security isn't quite as good a it could be. Other than that, i would definately suggest a stay here, very friendly and homely.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2007

At first I was happy to have arrived, but after a full day of traveling the main desk clerk would not leave us alone and give us the room keys. She just kept on talking and hounding us like crazy. I was traveling with a group of 4 friends. We had a room right next to the reception desk and every morning starting at 7 am we would be awakened by the loud and obnoxious receptionist. We could not close the windows because some were broken (the glass) and were missing pieces. The bathroom had a weird faucet that was hard to operate. I found a bunch of other broken/missing items that should have been fixed/replaced around the hotel. We made the mistake of booking a car from the hotel. We ended up paying at least double what the car rental was worth. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE! The "clerk from hell" charged as a $20/day commission. Can you believe it? and when we found out about this, she would not cancel bc. she told us that this would require a hefty cancellation fee (which she did not tell us about). The young people who live in the hotel and help/work there seem to be like slaves of the receptionists and the owner. It's an awful atmosphere. DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with friends
9  Thank blueskiesnyc
Reviewed April 17, 2007

The hostel is overall okay, but what makes it horrible is the main woman at the front desk, i forget her name now.

First about the hostel:

Overall the rooms are clean and decent. The back area is very nice with some hammocks.
The place is somewhat out of town and it can be a pain getting there and back.
The free meal is completely worthless, the food is just horrible.

I stayed at the hostel for 3 nights with 3 of my friends. The woman who runs the place made it a horrible experience. When we first arrived she wouldnt stop harassing us about tour booking, policies, etc. We just wanted to get to our room and unpack.
Throughout the stay she was constantly trying to sell us some tour or other.
She was also very inqusitive. She had to know what you were doing where and with whom at all times.

On one occasion we mentioned to her that there were no pillows in the room and she gave us an attitude telling us that they were there. After checking herself she complained to someone else behind our back that we stole them.

When my friend was washing a couple of dishes in the kitchen she yelled at him for running the water for a minute.

• Stayed: April 2007
9  Thank omegakos
Reviewed February 14, 2007

Stayed here for a few nights. It is not that near the centre, and a bit of a pain to walk, espeically in the baking hot Cairns weather. they put on free buses to and from town, but they arent always so regular. On one occasion I found myself stuck in the hostel and wanting to get to town, but with no bus for another 2 hours. I was just killing time, until the next bus service.
In addition, I found the staff superficially friendly but i quickly realised they just wanted to sell me trips. (Presumably they make commission on this). They didnt seem too pleased when I said I wanted to shop around. After looking elsewhere the next day, I found the same trips for sale at cheaper prices.

Customers beware the smiling faces!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple