“Wicked hostel!”

Ranked #24 of 85 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Preston, United Kingdom
“Wicked hostel!”
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on my own and made some great friends. Loved how it was social and there was a bit open space to chill out. Only thing I would say is there aren't many showers but it wasn't that much of a big deal most days! Rooms were clean and spacious and the noise wasn't too bad at all. Free wifi and the free meal is so good every night, saves so much time and effort (and money!) 5 minute walk from the lagoon and 2 mins from shops and clubs. Really liked my stay here I would definitely go back if I returned to cairns!

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Grace R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I came to cairns in February 2014 and stayed at The Jack for 3 months. I can say it was possibly the best hostel I have stayed in ever. I have been traveling in Australia for 5 months now and this is one of the most friendliest and homeliest hostel I have stayed in. After being at The Jack for 3 months, I made a big family. Its the only hostel where i felt like i was at home due to the staff, the people in the hostel and the actual hostel itself. I actually stayed in the motel side of the hostel in a 4 bed mixed dorm. The facilities were great and I was able to go over to the hostel side where i could relax in the tv room and socialize on the balcony with my friends. My room was spotlessly cleaned everyday and I have stayed in many hostels throughout my travels and I can honestly say this is the cleanest one by far! The free evening meals were great as well every night. Because this hostel is a pub as well, there was daily entertainment and events on the weekend which were really fun. I'm going to miss The Jack a lot and all the people in it. Its most definitely my second home and I encourage whoever is traveling to Cairns to stay here!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Annonamous A
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

My friends annd I stayed at The Jack in April 2014 for 2 nights. Its was recommended by a friend who had previously stayed at that hostel a number of times. We were really impressed with everything in the hostel. Receptionist and staff were fun up for a laugh. We checked into our 8 share room. Its was clean and tidy, had its own fridge so we quickly put the beers in! Got ready for a night out but first we went outside on the balcony of the hostel to socialise with other backpackers. the hostel put on a free meal each night with two options to choose from both were delicious. The bar area was cool and had a great atmosphere with a live band who were immense. If you are looking for a fun, friendly, clean hostel then this is the place you want to stay! We give it 10/10 and will definitely be going back. Sad that we had to checkout but back to complete put farmwork!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank emilyhughes3
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I loved staying at the Jack! Our room and en suite were always kept clean thanks to the cheerful housekeeping staff who come in daily with a smile on their faces despite the mess we make!

The best things about the Jack include the staff; cleanliness of the hostel, VIP drink prices at the bar, location, being able to drink in your rooms/balcony and most importantly the free evening meals!

I loved everything about my stay and would recommend the hostel to anyone looking for a place to stay in Cairns.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anna K
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Very clean, excellent location, friendly staff, good rates.
A bit noisy during the weekend because of the close pub, but it's a little flaw if you consider all the rest. And anyway the music usually stops before 1am. No problem during the week.
Highly recommended!

Room Tip: All rooms have fridge and air-con. Rooms close to the reception have also a private bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Randall F
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Fab place to stay, free dinner every night, free wifi every day. Great atmosphere, clean rooms and bathrooms, only downside for me was the unisex toilets but that's a personal preference. I returned several times and would definately go back if I visit Cairns again

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank kate v
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

If you can make a list if things that you wouldn't like to have at a place you are sleeping and resting - this place ticks almost everything on that list (bar ghostly presence).

The place was THUMPING when we arrived as there is a bar/club which exists inside the hostel. Someone was on the microphone on an open mic night - and no exaggeration - the room windows were shaking from the bass related vibrations. I asked the man whether or not this was normal, he assured us that the loud music ends at midnight... It lasted until 1am. And this was on a Thursday! Over the next couple of days the music blared out was if the 90s/00s pop followed by really loud drunk shouting. It is impossible to fall asleep unless you can pass out. The room itself was not too bad, except the bathroom had no lock, had a slide door and was the narrowest room like it was an after thought. Shower was surprisingly good, but every morning we were greeted with new flatmates - cockroaches!

Honestly really didn't like this place whatsoever and actually caused a few arguments amongst friends as a result of sleep deprivation.

KEEP AWAY