“Best value for your money in Cairns if not in OZ itself”
Review of Ryan's Rest

and 1 more site!
Ryan's Rest
Ranked #55 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
“Best value for your money in Cairns if not in OZ itself”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I stayed in Ryan's rest for a whole week in the end of august 2011, I got there cause the place I went to check was fully booked and they directed me to Ryan's Rest- couldn't be more happy that it happened, I got a 2 bed dorm with real beds (not annoying bunk beds) and I wad alone in the room so I had my own room ( in a regular dorm price) the management didn't try to make me pay more because of it. Everything was clean and neat, wi-fi is free and you can even print a document if Gould like -for free. I really felt like home in my own room and left only cause I had a flight booked. Camroon (who runs the place) is a really cool guy that will help you with extra booking or just if you need an advice about stuff to do in cairns.

• Stayed August 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Madrid
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The place is ok but there are a lot of people so if you are in the botton you will have a problem because it is quite noisy.

When we arrive nobody was waiting for us, so we have to wait for half an hour until a neihgbor phoned the person in charge.

Nobody used to be there so you will have to plan and arrange all your trips for yourself.

To tell the truth it was a very dissapointed experience.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank MangosdBoston
Bangkok
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I'm guessing Firstvipe (see review below) must be accustomed to five-star accommodation and possibly lives in an igloo (no offence intended). Of course it gets uncomfortably hot in Cairns but our stay at Ryan's Rest was anything but uncomfortable. We stayed there in May for a few days and found this place to be friendly, down-to-earth, clean and comfortable. There was no air-con in our room which initially worried me ... but the ceiling fan and the cool breeze through the window made for a good night's sleep. This place has a lovely, laid-back feel to it you will never find in a place like the Hilton. The rates are more than reasonable and it is fastidiously maintained by nice people (hi Suzie!). Upstairs has two very pleasant common areas, the usual bookshelf of well-thumbed paperbacks, a clean kitchen and a fridge. Our room was clean and had a comfy bed. I had a good feeling about this place seconds after meeting the friendly owner, Cam, and his rambunctious cat. I had booked to arrive the previous day, but I stuffed up the flights and arrived the day after. Cam didn't charge me for that day (many thanks, mate). Forget the Hilton - this place is brilliant, is in a good location and comes at the right price. I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank toplevel
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I stayed at Ryan's Rest for a week in May while visiting family. The accomodations are comfortable and clean (a big hello and thanks to Suzie), and for the rooms on the top floor, you have the added bonus of separate (and private) TV alcove room. There is also a common-area kitchen and plenty of open air common space toward the rear of the top floor which picked up a beautiful cool breeze every day I was there. The place also has a small pool which I didn't get a chance to use - next time! Bathrooms are basic, but consistent with the price, which I thought overall was great value, especially given you can walk to shops, the train station, and even downtown Cairns and the casino if you want some exercise (about a 20 minute walk). I also have to say that even when all the rooms were occupied, I still felt like the place was very quiet. I would definitely recommend to friends as a great value alternative to hotels.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SamAdams2010
cork
Reviewed November 20, 2010

We stayed here for one night in September 2010, after trying the other nearby hostels! We got a two room apartment style accomodation for a knock down price from the lovely owner. Two rooms (1 with broken air-con), kitchen, living room with tv, shower and outdoor toilet. There is also a common area at the back and a swimming pool. It is in a quiet area of cairns around the corner from dreamtime hostel. It is approx 15min walk from downtown cairns. We highly recommend ryans rest!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 12, 2004

We stayed at Ryan's Rest only after finding no room at the other hostels on the block - Traveller's Oasis, Gecko Backpackers, Dreamtime - and we couldn't have been luckier. Gai, the innkeeper, was very nice and accomodating, and made us feel welcome immediately. The rooms were nicely appointed with "furniture with character" :) Air-conditioning was available but we didn't find it necessary. The best part was the organization of the six units downstairs. Rather than share a kitchen and space with all the guests in the hostel, each pair of units had it's own bathroom, kitchen and living space. For those that want the communal experience, the front and back balconies upstairs were comfortable. No TVs in the hostel, and no stress. Inexpensive and clean, and a small pool in the back. Highly recommended!

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member