“Amazing!! Great location , extremely comfortable and clean. Thanks for a great stay:)”

Gecko's Backpackers
Ranked #13 of 82 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed March 13, 2013

After spending 3 nights in cairns in two different backpacker both being extremely noisy and with very uncomfortable beds one even had windowless rooms (not pleasant ) , I was becoming very tired and struggled to enjoy my days of sight seeing , I took a new friend recommendation and booked into Geckos Backpacker ,instantly I was impressed , the management was very helpful ,the rooms have brand new beds ( not bunks !!) yay!! Great night sleep assured , the kitchen Is very clean an tidy and great wifi , not knowing cairns very well I was happy to find the mall for all my needs was directly across the rd , clear swimming pool was a treat also , this place feels like a home away from home , and was great to find out that this is definitely not a party backpacker!! It's a gem!! Very happy stay . Thank again to the management , highly recommend this backpackers .

• Stayed: February 2013
Geckoshostel, Guest Relations Manager at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Hello Mcoster. Your review "lifted me of my chair". We do apply our best. Its all about "comfort". We really look forward to seeing you again. I could not find the words to thank you. Sincerely yours Peter Hoare & family and the Heritage Geckos place.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I have been traveling for two months, as part of a four month trip. Gecko's is definitely my favorite place I have stayed- and there have been some good ones along the way. It is friendly, quiet, clean, efficient, reasonably priced, safe and centrally located. The staff at the desk are great, and a great day trip dive was arranged easily for me by them- at almost half the cost of what the agencies were charging! The dive was also fantastic.

I booked a room for one person, but as all the singles were sold out, the manager upgraded me to a private double with now additional cost! A/C, wi-fi, a kitchen, free coffee, tea, and breakfast, laundry, and a pool. What more could you ask for. Gecko's is great!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Geckoshostel, Guest Relations Manager at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Hello Paul. Well my friend," you said it all". Wow. At our place we love to make you feel at home. It is most important that our guests get a great nights sleep. With many thanks and all the very best. Peter and family.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

i stayed here for a week i had the best rest i have had in a long time i found it be quiet very clean &great value for money this backpackers is in the best location the manger peter is very helpful and always working to make it a better &cleaner stay for the guest i give gecko backpackers five stars &and i recommend you stay there a job well done peter thankyou ben from richmond ill be back there later in the year !

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Geckoshostel, Director of Sales at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Hello Benjamin. Brother, your words are accelerating. I could not be happier to receive your review. All the very best in Richmond. Thankyou kindly for your tremendous support and we look forward to seeing you again. Peter and family.........cheers mate.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We needed to change the Hostel cause we were staying in a very bad and dirty place before.
Peter the Owner and Manager is a very nice and helpfull Person! He gave us some tips to get out of the other hostel.
Peter is always working. He is renovating the Hostel the whole time. All the facilitis are clean and nice ! The rooms are all painted in nice colours! Also the beds and matraces are new and very compftable, and they are single beds, so you have nobody sleeping above or under you which is very good.
The rooms are also very big so you have enough space for your bachpack and yourself. Every bed also have a table and a chair were you can put your stuff.

Gecko bachpackers is a quite hostel, were you can have a lot of fun for sure, but you can have a nice rest aswell. The way into the City is about a nice10min footwalk. At the other side of the street is a Shopping Center and a coles so you dont need to go that far for your food and drinks.

Peter also sells tours and other adventure Trips. I booked my skydive with him and get a $25 discount and could do the skydive 1 day later .

It was nice to stay here. We recommend this hostel to everybody who wanna have a nice rest not far away from thecity and Party;-)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Geckoshostel, Director of Sales at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Hello Julia. Thankyou very much for your compliments about our recent refurbishments. We always try to help our guests as much as possible. All completed renovations are looking excellent and many thanks for coming to stay here. Its so nice to know that you were happy here.With best regards peter & family.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have stayed at Gecko’s Backpackers after arriving in Cairns from NSW while on a working holiday. I found Gecko’s backpackers to be so pleasant I actually returned again when I returned to Cairns after deciding to relocate myself here in Cairns. Peter the manager/owner is constantly cleaning and updating facilities to provide a comfortable and pleasant experience for guests. I found the facilities here clean and adequate. The grounds and pool are maintained to a high standard. The kitchen facilities are well stocked with cooking utensils, pots and pans. Breakfast and 24 hr tea and coffee is free which is great! I highly recommend this backpacker resort to anyone who values quiet and safe accommodation at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Geckoshostel, Owner at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Hello Benjamin. It is always a very nice feeling when guests return for a further stay and wonderful again when they just keep coming back. Thankyou so much for your great review and i look forward to seeing you again. All the best for the future, Peter and family.

Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

We had a great stay at Gecko's. We stayed in the garden with our campervan, but we used all the other facilities, the showers and toilets were always clean, and the pool was very nice to relax in after a hot day in the city! It's a quiet place in the night, and the owner is very nice and work all the time! They also have a laundry-room, you have free breakfast, and you get a coupon for dinner out at a restaurant, which actually meant we got food worth more than we paid to stay there! Highly recommended!

Hege & David

• Stayed: February 2013

Hello Hege & David. Thankyou very much for your splended review. We are a place of relaxation and happiness. With best regards Peter & family.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I'll travel to other city, also select Gecko's Backpackers.
I really like this place, the boss was so nice who always help everyone. Here also can book airport bus and tour, it's so great.
But next time i wana see the lady boss and her daughter.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Geckoshostel, Guest Relations Manager at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Hello Echo. Thanks a lot again for your very nice review. Safe travelling and all the best. See you again soon. With best regards from Yvonne, Regina and Peter.