Gecko's Backpackers
Hilton Cairns(Cairns)
$126
$117
  • Restaurant
BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$155
$135
  • Pool
Cairns Plaza Hotel(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$92
$244
$141
  • Pool
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$116
$107
  • Restaurant
Mantra Esplanade Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$117
$93
Agoda.com
$138
$133
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$86
$187
$148
Reef Palms(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$86
$80
All reviewsfree wifimanager peterpeaceful hostelno alcohol allowedfree tea and coffeeclean place to stayfast wifiparty hostelsclean kitchenair conshopping centreprivate roombig rooma great staywe've stayedquiet at nighthome away from home
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The hostel is centrally located (opposite Cairns Central) but very quiet (no street or party noise). I stayed for four nights in two double/single rooms. The rooms were clean, had a refrigerator, ac and a fan. The bed was comfortable. Breakfast (coffee, tea, cornflakes, milk) is included, also a free evening meal at Gilligans (which I have not tried). The kitchen was well- equipped and always clean. So were the bathrooms. Free wifi is offered. If you look for a quiet, cheap and nice hostel, Gecko’s can be recommended.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Geckoshostel, Guest Relations Manager at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Hello Daniela. Thankyou very much for your very nice review. We enjoy the place to be as quiet as possible. All the very best from Peter and Geckos.

Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend rocked up to cairns on a Friday night after a 12 hour bus journey. I'd just lost my wallet at castaway and we only had ten dollors in cash, we were met by Peter off the greyhound and he explained the hostel to us, I said it sounded it great as long as we could pay the next day, he said this was fine and just took our passports for security. I woke up on the Saturday morning and all the banks were closed! I explained this to Peter and said we couldn't pay u till Monday again he was cool with us and even gave us a room upgrade as there was a double room spare we couldn't believe our luck! He even offered to borrow us 20 dollors to get us by the weekend so on Sunday night we took him up on his offer and went to watch the football, legend. Finally Monday came around and I actually paid for our room. What could've been a very stressful weekend was spent with free wi-fi, free breakfast and evening meal, relaxing with our air con and watching football we couldn't of asked for more. I'd advise anyone to stay at geckos I ended up staying for a month thanks again Peter I really don't know what we'd of done without your help (probally slept on the streets ha)

• Stayed: December 2012
Geckoshostel, Owner at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Hello Gary and Kristie. At our place comfort is most important. I was very happy to help you. It was sensational that you ended up staying for 4 weeks. "WOW" we gave each other "lots of luck" All the very best with your new jobs and for the future. Kindest regards Peter and family.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Cairns was my last stop in Australia and after travelling around for three months so far I needed a cheap, quiet place to rest before going to NZ.
I didn't book anything prior to arriving with the Greyhound, but at the bus station I met the manager who picked me up and took me to the hostel.
In my room there are only 4 people and no bunk beds which is a pleasant change. The room is clean, toilets and showers are clean and the kitchen, although not the biggest I've seen, is clean at all times and has got plenty of kitchenware.
Free breakfast is nice as well, and the wifi here is good enough to Skype with the people back home in Denmark with cameras on. Pleasant atmosphere in common areas!
The manager is friendly and offers a lot of help booking tours, arranging transport to the airport etc.
Finally the location is very good - all the shops you need are just across the street and still the neighbourhood is quiet at night times.
All in all the place is so nice I decided to stay here for six nights.

• Stayed: January 2013
Geckoshostel, Director of Sales at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Hello Balambar. Thanks a lot for your marvelous review. Australia is a great big place, eh mate. Good luck and have a great time travelling in New Zealand. Always glad to help and best regards for now and the future. Peter and family.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

On behalf of my family, I would like to personally say thank you for
your hospitality during the time we spent at Geckos Backpackers
Resort.

We all enjoyed our stay there as the resort is in a central location.
I have been to other backpackers but I must say this has been the best
stay because there are no drunk people that you have to be scared off,
a pool to cool off and many other positive things about the place.

Both Regina and yourself should be very proud of yourselves and also
your resort because I know all those that have lodged there have truly
enjoyed their stay and I have immensly enjoyed every bit of my stay.

Just a suggestion, have a bell at the reception so that when you're
not at the reception, customers can be able to ring the bell.

Again thank you very much and hope to lodge again at Geckos the next
time we're in Cairns.

Florida

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Geckoshostel, Owner at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Hello Florida and family. Thanks so much for your wonderful review. We keep our place as quiet and peaceful as possible. This insures a calm atmosphere and a great nights sleep for our guests. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay. We will be happy to see you again. All the best from Yvonne,Regina and Peter.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

We have stayed here for one week and we loved it we don't understand why anyone would complain I would recommend gecko's backpackers as we had a wonderful time here and thank gecko's backpackers for having us.

• Stayed: January 2013
Geckoshostel, Guest Relations Manager at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Hello Reihanaangie. Thankyou very much for your excellent review and for recommending our place. All the best for the future. Regards Peter and family.