“Adventure stop in Australia”

Gecko's Backpackers
Ranked #9 of 85 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Montevideo, Uruguay
“Adventure stop in Australia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

Definitely a great environment- an awesome stop for any adventurer travelling in Australia

Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Maria G
Geckoshostel, Owner at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Thankyou kindly for your great review. We hope to see you again. Take care and all the best.
Regards, Peter & Family
Owner/Geckos Cairns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

I stayed in Gecko's July 18th of 2011, i loved the place!! nice people, clean and very helpful manager, i liked the pool and the free meals for breakfast and dinner, or the very special discounts that i got for all the activities, only for quiet backpackers.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank Regina C
Regards, Peter & Family
Owner/Geckos Cairns
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

hey! Geckos is not just quiet and peaceful place, also you have the central of Cairns across the street, and the rooms are clean, breakfast is nice....i stay here for more than a week myself, come without a doubt..peace!!!

Room Tip: it depends on how many people that u travel with!!! no.4 is good !!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Thierry J
Geckoshostel, Manager at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear Guest!! Thanks for your review, we promise to keep on the good work always very aware for the needs of our clients. We will love to see you soon back at Gecko's your second home.
Arequipa, Peru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

I found Geckos hostel to be not only very different to all the reviews i have seen here, maybe a lot of improvment has been made, but also a quiet, peaceful and secure hostel. The environment is full of all kinds of travelers, the pool, toilets and romms very clean. Sometimes the kitchen seems to be a little full, but still clean after the storm. i did found that it was bigger that other hostels i stayed in. Peter the manager made me feel welcome and went out of his way to make my stay very confortable. No drinking or noise after 10pm and the main gate is closed by 8pm, also notice that reception is closed between 12:30 to 4:30pm.

Room Tip: The rroms at the back seems to be the best if you're traveling with your couple, also the ones o...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank JonathanC366
Dear Guest!!! Thanks so much for your review, we'll keep on the good work and improving always!!
breckenridge colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed here in April 2008 becuase it had been recommended to me by a friend who had stayed here many times before. I thought that the rooms were a bit clammy and old, but definitely not the worst I had seen on my 10 months of traveling, not by far! I thought it was in a good location, especially as I walked everywhere I went. The facilities were simple but doable for a few days.

The one problem that caused me to say I wouldn't stay here again were the guests! I don't know if the owner lets people just walk in off of the street, but some of the people I met on the back patio in the evening were definitely not fellow travelers! There were several drunk older men wandering around making sexual jokes under their breath, obviously thinking I couldn't hear every word they were saying! I also met another guy who told me he had just got out of prision where he had been for the last 3 years after stabbing a man and then went on to tell me all about his life in some Italian gang and how he was trying to get "straight" now to provide for his 5 children (he was only 23). I'm not trying to be too judgemental of peoples lifestyles but some of the people staying here were just down right scary to a young 19 yr old girl traveling alone. Incidentally, it was the ex con who told me to call him to walk me home at night if I was ever out alone as the area was too dangerous for me to be walking home alone after 6pm! He also told me that raping and muggings were common in the area. Safe to say, I just wouldn't bother going to Cairns again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank breckgirl_7
Geckoshostel, Owner at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Hey!! This is Mr. Hoare the new owner of the Gecko’s Backpackers Hostel. Just to let you know that since the last 3 months we got in charge of the Gecko's hostel in Cairns with a completely different way on doing things, surly your review sounds very accurate with some of the last owners and management issues by that time, specially in the 2008, so far we have been able to track and get all information regarding the past of the hostel and we are very concern on showing that now, it’s all about good service and safety, we can assure you it’s very different, and even when this comment in particular seems to be related to some “strange” characters, we are very careful now to maintain the hostel as clean, safe and enjoyable as it should be, that’s why will ask you to reconsider the idea of coming back to Cairns, it’s not only a safe and beautiful destination but we would also love to have you back here for free, so you’ll experience a different reality. It would be very appreciated if you can reconsider the valuable review you made and let us have another chance. Thanks so much and we’ll be happy to hear from you again.
HH
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

I was travelling for 6 months without problems til I arrived at this place. We stayed 4 nights in the Dreamtime Travellers (btw the best hostel in OZ) next door and had to change our hostel because the Dreamtime Travellers was fully booked. A friend and I decided to move into the Geckos. Short way to the Deamtime Hostel and the manager put us in a double room (Room No.3!!!! DANGEROUS!!!) for a very good price (I should say that everyone pays an other price/ It seemed as if they don't have a fixed pricelist). Anyways, the first night was okay and I woke up with few bites in the morning. I thought: No worries, some moskitobites. The second night was HORRIBLE. Woke up in the middle of the night, my arms and legs full with bedbug bites. There must have been hundreds of BB. My last 4 weeks in Australia were horrible. Took pills and had a terrible itchy time. Finally I can say, the Geckos destroyed my fantastic Australia adventure. I didn't say anything to the manager (red the reviews before) and told the staff what happened. Spent my last night on the bench in the Dreamtime Travellers. Wouldn't recommend this place! NEVER, not even for money! I

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
7 Thank ManiacHH
Geckoshostel, Manager at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this review, October 23, 2011
Hi, just to let you know that we really apriciate your comments about the hostel, We also like to inform that is under new managment and things have changed 360 degrees, guaranted!!, for that reason we invite you anytime to stay with us for free in order to make you feel a different experience
Amsterdam
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2010

Where to begin...this is the wordt hostel I have ever stayed in. The owner is very rude and strange especially after 6pm when he has had his daily portion of weed!! He falls out to people for no reason he has been putting backpackers in a dorm which he knows has bedbugs and when they come to reception the next day, he gets angry at the people for bringing bedbugs to his hostel and kicks them out!. There are a few long term stayers which are very strange and are drunk/stoned most of the time.
The owner can't even be bothered buying new teatowels, or brushes/sponges to do your washing up!! I even threw one of the brushes away in the bin that was so disgusting and the owner took it out and put it back again!!!
Do not stay here, the owner seems nice at first but this is all fake. They offer free internet but there is only 1 computer that is too old and slow, the wifi rarely works and if it does it is to slow to use. The free breakfast is only cereal and very nasty milk!
If the owner would put a bit more effort in his hospitality skill and buy a few new things for the hostel it would improve but he is to stoned to even care and if you catch him on a bad day you better hide before he kicks you out, insults you or does not give your keydeposit back.

• Stayed July 2010
7 Thank Bloem2
Geckoshostel, Owner at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Hi there. Just taking time to go way back and really have no excuse not to have replied to your review a long time ago. Perhaps its taken a while to even know about TRIPADVISOR AND RESPONDING TO REVIEWS. To make a long story short - it is at that very time i took over the management of this property and yes i took a while to pick up all the loose ends from tea towels to drunken alchoholics. Now these days this property is the quietest and most secure in all aspects of management. Sorry for your experience and the truth is your review was totally exadurated. Take care from Peter Hoare.