“Best hostel in Cairns”

Ranked #3 of 85 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Best hostel in Cairns”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

This hostel made my stay in Cairns. After switching hostels three times before I found myself at Dreamtime, I can easily say it is above and beyond the rest. Their great staff, amazing rooms and facilities and great atmosphere make for a very special stay, even when travelling solo. Highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

We spent 4 days at Dreamtime Travellers Resthouse. Enjoyed every bit of being here. The staff, especially the manager, Chris, were always very helpful. The garden is gorgeous with a little pool. The rooms and the common arieas are spotlessly clean. There is something for every night. Either eat as much as u like from 10 dollars (in Oz this is a very good price!), e.g. pizza or Oz barbaque, or there are film nights. Yesterday we even got free popcorn for the free film :-))

All in all from my heart I can suggest to come here and spend some nights.

Room Tip: If you do not want to use aircon, choose from the rooms at the rear where you dont hear the aircond...
Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cairns
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Dreamtime and found it the best place we have stayed in in Australia. Chris, the owner, and his staff were unfailingly helpful throughout our time there. It is a quite, friendly place, though very nicely located. They are also very helpful with advice on tours etc and we can recommend you book through them as they are very trustworthy.

Not at all noisy and rowdy like some places we stayed in in Australia. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Good:
1) Absolutely friendly, patient and helpful staff to help with tour bookings and recommending you what to do. Stayed in 4 different places in Australia, Dreamtime probably had the best staff.
2) Nice and cosy decorations which make you feel at home. With many comfortable common areas, it's a good place to make friends with other travellers.
3) Location was quite convenient with a big shopping mall just opposite. Most places that you will need to go are within walking distance, such as the Esplanade, swimming lagoon, reef terminal, night market, shopping mall, eating places etc. Airport is just about a 15min drive away.

Bad:
1) Cleanliness. Toilet bin wasn't cleared, there were used sanitary pads inside (gross). Room was dusty enough to make my friend complain about accommodation for the first time in Australia. My bed (no idea if its the bed frame, mattress, or bed sheet) was obviously not clean. I had bug bites all over. Initially it was just me but eventually 2 of my friends also got the bug bites. I requested to change the bed sheet on my third day and the staff immediately changed my bedsheet for me, very helpful indeed. But I don't know if it helped because my body was still itching, not sure from old bites or new ones.
2) There's this particular bathroom on level 2 beside the kitchen which females should really refrain from using, especially at night. I walked past it one night and was shocked to see a clear silhouette of a body, the curtain used was almost semi-transparent. Guess the light was shining from inside the bathroom and outside was dark, so people outside could see quite clearly what's going on in that bathroom.
3) Some of the rooms are connected and separated by a door, which in our room's case, didn't lock properly on one of the days. It didn't cause any inconvenience to us though, just that I thought the privacy part could be compromised a bit.

Well, finally, I wouldn't call this following one a "bad" one, but more of it made me doubt the credibility of some of the reviews. The hostel had this "write a review on tripadvisor and get free internet/free hostel world gold card" deal, and I guess naturally most people would write nice things if they knew the other party is going to read it and know who you are. I mean most stuff are true - the friendly staff, the convenient location.. but the cleanliness part just didn't work for me.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
41dug, Manager at Dreamtime Travellers Rest, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and we are glad you enjoyed your time at Dreamtime.

We would have loved to have fixed those concerns for you whilst you were still here. Our staff are always ready to address individual guest requests. Thanks to your feedback we have acted and improved those features.

Best wishes for many more travel adventures.

Tropically Yours.
Dreamtime Cairns.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed five nights here and had a great time! The hostel is very relaxed, clean and quiet. Shopping is just around the corner and the centre only a short walk away. You can also book your tours here and we got some great advices (and discounts!) here. The staff is very friendly and helpful and made it a memorable experience!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

We were there last september and we enjoyed our stay. Although a saturday night we couldn't sleep properly due to people shouting in the garden, other aspects were completely right.

You've got plenty of brochures and information, so If you need to book an activity, they'll call and book it for you. It's specially useful when you're abroad and don't know how it works.

On the other hand you must pay for wifi and air-conditioned, which we think should be included, at least wifi because it's pretty cheap for them and quite expensive for guests.

In contrast, rooms were completely clean and there were showers enough so as not to be waiting more than 5 minutes to have a shower.

People working there were very pleasant and they're used to help guests: the owners (a couple) are often there and that's the clue. Besides, there's a great history behind Dreamtime's foundation.

To sum up, we were in Queensland for around a month and this was our favourite backpacker.

Room Tip: Best rooms, at least the more quiet, are from 14 to 16.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Flew up from Canberra, travelling ln my own, I had never stayed in a place like this before, but what a great place, lovely staff, pizza and bbq nights a bonus if you are too tired to venture out, all in all what a great experience for me would visit sgain some day

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo