“Good deal”

Caravella Backpackers
Ranked #8 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We stayed three nights at Caravellas and it was good value. The room was really big, the pool clean and the two kitchens were huge! Good place to meet other travellers, a bit far from the centre but there is a free shuttlebus. Got a ticket for a free meal everynight and that helped our budget a lot! The little, old Gloria does her best to sell tours, although we didn`t book through her. She is a bit weird and can be pushy, but she`s nice and has some good advice, just take the time to listen..

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Caravella Backpackers

Reviewed March 23, 2011

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at Caravella Backpackers in a private room and we had a fantastic time.
The room was spacious, comfortable and clean. Even the communal bathrooms and kitchens were absolutely spotless.
We also found the staff to be most helpful and polite and they really wnt out of their way to make sure we had a great time

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Free pickup from airport, Free use of a towel, Free Meal every night and free transport to the woolshed to get our free meal.......WKD

This place is in a good spot 20 mins walk to the reef terminal, I stayed in a 4 bed female only dorm with its own bathroom which was great. the rooms were basic but had a fridge. the doors locked behind u so nobody without a key could enter, Outside also had a sercurity gate to stop non residents entering.

I had a great 3 days here, meeting some fab friends.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 9, 2010

My partner and me stayed 2(on separate weeks) night at this hostel. When we arrived we asked to see the dorm room as we weren't sure whether we wanted to stay there. The young lady at the desk told us that wouldn't be possible because she wanted to go out and finish her shift!!! Totally unprofessional! The room was basic (but what would you expect for the price ?).The bed bunks look like hospital beds and there are no ladders to access the top bed !
On our second stay there we have been given another dorm which was far from clean even though no one was in there and the cleaning ladies were suppose to have finished their shift !
The ladies are horrible. There is no lock on the door and the showers don't smell right!!!
On the other hand the common area is really nice and you get to meet travelers. There is also a swimming pool which can come handy considering the heat !!! And a free supper coupon is given which is quiet cool.
I wouldn't stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I had an absolutley great time at Caravella's!!! Its nice and small so you meet lots of people, cheap, you get a free supper everynight (THAT WAS HUGE)!! The kitchen is always clean, the pool was awsome. I stayed in a 12 room dorm and we had 2 bathrooms in the dorm room, which was great! The staff are SUPER helpful!! Me and my friend had a great time there!! I would recommend this to any backpacker!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 25, 2010

Just spent 2 weeks there, with my partner. Very chilled out and difficult to leave! Had a double room, which was clean and spacious. Staff are friendly and helpful - especially Gloria - she is a real character and knows everything! If you need advice or want to book tours - ask her - she's like a walking encyclopedia of the place and is full of funny banter. She's efficient and takes multitasking to a whole new level - sometimes she's the only person on the desk and is dealing with 20 things at the same time! Some ppl aren't sure how to take her at first but have a sense of humour and she'll do anything for you. We had a bit of a walk on the last night in the pouring rain - reception was closed and we didn't think we'd be able to get a cab, but Gloria came out of her room around midnight and managed to get hold of one very quickly - again, she's one to ask if you need any shortcuts. You'll recognise her straight away - she's a tiny, middle aged woman, floats around like a little butterfly and usually has a fag hanging out of her mouth. She's quality!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2010

I went to Cairns on holidays and I spent there 4 nights. I arrived at the hotel during night time and I should have found my key in a security box but, UNFORTUNATELY this was not the case! I eventually found a spare bed to sleep for that night but the experience was not that good. Noisy dorm without any sort of courtains at all. In the morning, I talked to the staff about what had happened : they didn't charge me and they apologised for the inconvenience. I decided to spend one more night because the location is great (right on the City Esplanade and super-close to city centre).
The staff was extremely kind and helpful especially LAURA who is funny and kind. The 4-bedded room was very quite and clean whereas the 6-bedded room I slept in the 4TH night was noisy because it's near the swimming pool. I would recommend the rooms close to reception and avoid the ones near the swimming pool.

In conclusion it's a good hostel, it is worth the money you pay and the STAFF is great.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends