“such a fantastic backpackers!!! <3”

Calypso Inn Backpackers Resort
Ranked #5 of 83 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed May 10, 2013

i stayed at calypso a couple of years back when i was travelling the east coast, and it still stands out in my mind as one of the best ive stayed in ( and hell have i stayed in a few!!!!) the shared rooms were ok to sleep in. my favourite bit about the place was the bar and pool, also i think it was a thursday night they did and all you can eat mexican for like $5 or something? and pudding at the end!!
i met so many amazing people, the staff were amazing too. i would advise anyone to stay here if your in cairns! and also its ONLY a 10 minute walk to centre so dont listen to rubbish about it being out of the way!

Room Tip: go for the double rooms rather then shared they are pretty much the same price and way better!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 28, 2013

The location wasn't completely central but there was a free shuttle bus that went from Calypso to the center of town every hour which was so useful!

When we first checked in the receptionist was really welcoming and friendly and throughout our whole stay the staff were really helpful.

Rooms were basic but clean.

The bar and pool was a really cool place to hang out. Unlike some hostels we have stayed in this one felt homely and comfortable.

Room Tip: Pick a mixed dorm to meet more people
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 18, 2013

#1 Great Barrier Reef. #2 Calypso Inn!!!!!!

I have travelled Australia for over 3 years now and stayed at a lot of hostels in Cairns and this is by far the best. Also do not listen to anyone when they say it is too far out of town, it is a 10 minute walk at most if you dont feel like taking the free shuttle bus (which runs every hour!!!) and they wouldnt be able to make it so awesome and so damn cheap if it were any closer. The staff are a pleasure and very helpful.

Love Calypso

Room Tip: Get down on a friday or sunday for the bbq!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Maxx255069
Reviewed April 15, 2013

good for a relaxed atmosphere, perfect for before going on a diving trip or similar. No BYO unfortunately since there is a bar, but no major qualms. Nice, friendly people with a free shuttle, luggage storage, cheap breakfast. Clean, large rooms, pool, etc.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I have stayed there for 2 weeks, still currently staying there, and I love it and so does my travel mates! Been in Australia for 6 weeks now, drove all the way up from Sydney, and this is one of the most chill places I have been. Great staff, very helpful, free shuttle to and from town, activities every night and so on. Clean rooms, and 2 happy hours, simply a great place that I definitely recommend!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed in a 6 bed female dorm but I was lucky to only have three other roomies with me. The rooms were on the small side but I still had a good night's sleep.

The staff took care of me as soon as I stepped through the door. They are very knowledgeable and it made me wish I didn't pre-book all my activities in advance. They have a wealth of knowledge and tips of what to do and see in Cairns and give unbiased opinions. Everyone I met here was friendly, the nightly bar games were fun and a great way to meet with fellow travelers.

The only downside is its distance from the city centre, takes about 15-20 mins walk through suburbia before reaching the city. There is a shuttle bus service though if you don't mind its schedule.

Room Tip: For solo female travelers, if you book a 6 bed dorm, there's a good chance it won't be full
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I absolutely enjoyed every minute at Calypso Inn! The staff we're so friendly- always helping us with any queries on our adventure activities. They made sure that we were well looked after from the bar to the beds to the shuttles into town!

Breakfast was a mere $4 for cereal and toast and there were always waters, OJS and Beers for sale at reception and they were icy cold!

Rooms were always clean, beds made and bins always emptied. Air conditioned rooms and a pool to hop into in the beautiful weather! Showers had great pressure aswell!

The bar had a great selection and an even greater atmosphere to drink in! New music always playing, lots of tables and chairs with an earthy wooden, astechy theme! PLUS heaps of themed nights- we had reptiles, beer pong night, trivia, Snooker competitions plus plus! Not to mention we met so many great people because of the relaxed and excepting environment the owner has created! Locals and backpackers were everywhere and it wasn't even peak season!!

I went with 8 friends and we walked into town to go out at night, not a problem really, as we only needed one traveller to get there! :)

Seriously amazed with the quality and quantity Calypso had to offer for SUCH CHEAP PRICES!!!

Room Tip: Best stay in Cairns!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends