“Cool Cairns” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 89 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
“Cool Cairns”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Ended up at Calypso at the end of my east coast trip. It was definately the most friendly hostel that I stayed in. The staff were always keen for a chat. The place has a reggae vibe going on and a nice layout with all the social areas in one place (bar, kitchen, pool). Which meant that you can make friends easily. I ended up staying much longer than I intended. if you are prepared to compromise a little on location (however the free bus takes you to town or 15mins walk). You can enjoy a real gem of a backpackers. I have recommended Calypso to many of the backpackers that I have met.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
Saint Kilda, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

The staff are really friendly and welcoming here, and I felt right at home STRAIGHT away, great! The only sucky thing about this place is how ridiculously far out it is from absolutely everything, if it weren't for that I'd give it a full-on rating. I didn't care in the end that I was sharing a room cause the person I was sharing with was nice- the place has a pool- there are evening activities and two kitchens, which is handy too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

This place is super chill! I was only there for 2 nights but I would defiantly like to go back and stay longer. the staff where very friendly and helpful. The overall vibe of the place is very chill. during the day they had reggae music playing which was great. In the evening the bbq was great vale for a cheap feed and the staff organised a pong tournament which was really fun. The drinks were also great value and cheaper then the bars in town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed here for two nights over a weekend in early Feb and loved the chilled out, balmy vibe. I felt super comfortable and was reminded of the QLD caravan parks we used to stay in as kids. It's open-plan, friendly and quietens down at a reasonable hour in the night (but the big old diving pool stays open til 12pm - love it)! As everyone else has said - the shuttle service is handy because it is a fair distance from town, but sometimes this is a good thing, and from memory a taxi from town centre was only about $10. It's defs not a 5*, but that's one of the main reasons I loved it. I'd crash here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was the final stop of my trip & the worst place I could have stayed, OK its not terrible just didn't like the sick stain on the bed & the fact there was no ladder for the bunk so I had to use my case to get up with. I used the shower upstairs which was unisex & didn't lock so that was a scary experience. There were much better ones downstairs with locks.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Brad F, Owner at Calypso Inn Backpackers Resort, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear SalJackPops. Thank you so much for your feedback. We are truly sorry that you were not happy with some of the facilities during your stay. The Calypso Crew strives to attend to maintenance issues and we encourage our guests to talk with us whilst still in house, so that we can attend to any concerns immediately. Regarding your bed, we have permanent housekeepers who are responsible for checking all the beds daily. However, with 55 rooms to check, on occasion beds are missed as people check-in to a dorm prior to the housekeepers getting around to that dorm. Our bed-check procedures will be reviewed to ensure all bedding is kept to our usual high standard. We are also saddened to hear that you did not feel comfortable using some of our shower facilities. We do have dedicated male and female shower facilities available for those who would rather not use the unisex facilities. Your review has prompted us to examine all shower stall locks and ensure all are in working order. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.
Redmond, Washington, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

The staff are excellent and I liked the activities like the snake show and the BBQs. Unfortunately the layout with bathrooms in a separate building and most things exposed to the outdoors, i.e. bar/kitchen means you have to wear insect repellent which I really hate. I ended up with a lot of bug bites.$8/day for WiFi.

Being outside of the central business district they have an hourly shuttle to/from the city every hour or so. Every few hours they have a free run to the airport as well which was nice.

Room Tip: far from the bar... I lucked out but other travelers told me it was hard to sleep in rooms near the...