“Great staff make the stay worth it”

Travellers Oasis Backpackers
Ranked #1 of 82 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed June 22, 2010

This is one of the best hostels I have stayed in, mostly due to the great staff. They take the time to remember every guest's name and will spend as much time as you'd like helping you to plan trips. When you arrive they spend a significant amount of time giving you a map, explaining where things are, and showing you around the hostel. If I could rate the service 6/5, I would - they really go above and beyond.

The hostel itself is really nice - rooms were nice and clean. The bathrooms were also clean. Sometimes I had to wander around looking for one for a couple minutes, but it wasn't too bad. The place quiets down around 11 or so, which is nice. Location-wise it's pretty good - not in the CBD, but very close. Not being in the CBD is inconvenient but it also probably means that the place is much quieter.

Overall, I'd say it's a great experience.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 10, 2010

I was taken in by the guys at Travellers's Oasis after a horrendous night at GreenHouse Backpackers. After making a call at 7am in the morning, they came and picked me up within 30 minutes and really made an effort to find me a bed in a female dorm.

The staff were all so helpful and promised me a good night's sleep and a great stay -which it was. John was particularly welcoming and always made time to speak to all the guests properly and not hurry them along if people were waiting, but at the same time not keep others waiting too long as well!

I had a room by the TV room and could hear the TV, but I kindly asked if the guy watching it could turn it down and he did and I drifted off for a lovely sleep!

Top marks for these guys! I returned to stay there another night too, I wouldn't stay anywhere else if I went back to Cairns!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 24, 2010

We were travelling as a couple and neither of us had stayed in a hostel for several years, but we found the pricing in Australia made it necessary for our budget. We booked a double room but still had to use a shared bathroom as none of the rooms have their own en suite. I have to admit, I wasn't quite sure we were going to like the experience....was I ever wrong! We really enjoyed the funky, fun, and chill atmosphere! Great gardens and pool make up the common outdoor space, with a few different nooks for eating meals and chatting with others and having a drink. The bathrooms were really clean and the sharing thing was not an issue at all as there were plenty and all located in different areas so no matter where your room was, you were close to one or two options. Plus, you do have a sink in the double room which is handy for grabbing a drink of water, brushing teeth, etc. They also have different kitchen areas, which means not one huge, industrial kitchen that is too chaotic like some hostels.
As everyone has said already, the owners and staff are super friendly and helpful and definitely make the stay both worthwhile and easier as they help you organize day trips, get you discounts at local restaurants/pubs, etc.
We would definitely stay here again! Also, although a lot of the travel guides recommend skipping on by Cairns and heading straight to Port Douglas, we found the newly refurbished downtown/market area (a short walk from hostel) lively and fun, and the city is a great base for day trips, which is what most people do in this area anyways!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2010

This is one of the best places I have stayed. The hostel is clean, well managed, well equipped, secure and very friendly. It's only a short walk into the centre of town where all the life is, but as it's not actually right in town, it's quiet and you get a good nights sleep.

Helen and John were fantastic. They organised everything for me so I had some great trips. If you've only got a few days, John recommended (and I agree having now been on it) the "on the Wallaby" two day adventure and then a cruise out to the Reef to do some serious snorkling.

Can't praise these guys enough, would recommend and go back there in an instant.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 15, 2010

This is by far the best hostel i have stayed in on my travels around Australia. The staff are amazingingly helpful, kind and go out of their way to make you enjoy your stay. The hostel is in a great location - about 5 minute walk to coles supermarket and about 15 minutes to the city centre which is handy, and means that the hostel is in a quiet location. The hostel was always very clean, although the only downside was the ants on the kitchen areas which was a but off-putting. Highly recommended hostel for all ages, travellers, nations - FAB place to stay!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 8, 2010

We stayed at Travellers Oasis in October 2009 and we had a great time. The rooms were clean, tidy and relaxed. You'll share it with a max of two other people. The location is great! You can walk to all the hotspots of Cairns easily. They also organise alot of fun stuff. They have a BBQ every monday where you can try croc, emu and kangaroo meat. The staff is very friendly and will help you with everything. We arrived at 7 o'clock in the morning and couldn't check in in our dormroom. We got an update to a doubleroom (we still had to pay), but that one was available so we could go to bed directly and not wait till 11 o'clock! This is the best hostel I've stayed in during mij 4 month trip and everyone who'se staying in Cairns should go there!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2010

I stayed at the Oasis in 2000 and again in 2009 after a change of ownership. The location is good relative to the Cairns shopping center and is a short walk to all of the hot spots in Cairns. We stayed in a private double room with AC for pay and have no complaints. The owners certainly have "strong" personalities, but are willing to provide good advice on local services and are friendly enough to make this place a personal stay. We were fortunate enough to be around on a monday night for the aussie BBQ and got to sample some native eats. Communicate your intent to the staff and you will have no troubles here- it is clean and well priced and I would stay again.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple