“Wonderful”

Travellers Oasis Backpackers
Ranked #2 of 85 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
“Wonderful”
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

I came to Australia for a holiday and was a little nervous about staying in a hostel as I was on my own but I felt so safe and welcomed. All the guests here socialise together and I made friends very quickly. Thoroughly enjoyed the BBQ night, such good food, and Gabrielle was very funny.

I am really pleased I stayed here and would say to anyone to stay as it suits everyone!

Xx

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kimacope

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed here for four nights and highly recommend it. I was a solo traveller and found this place very welcoming. The facilities were very clean and the room comfortable. Unfortunately, my room was facing a common area in the hostel, and I could hear people chatting outside, which disturbed my sleep. But the hostel was quiet past midnight, and noise never reached unreasonable levels. Their staff were friendly and helpful and the hostel is just a short walk into the city centre. They do a barbecue on Monday and pizza night on Thursdays. Unfortunately, I couldn't join either, but have heard great things about these activities from others.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I am 48 and a solo female and although have backpacked o/s was concerned about doing this in my own country. no worries. The staff - Helen, Martey and Rea were absolutely wonderful. The place was extremely clean, quiet, with a homey feel. Helen booked all my trips upto, and around, Cape Tribulation and her knowledge helped make this trip wonderful. The other backpackers were here for the experience and not to party which made it an ideal location not far from town.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Southwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2013

You really feel at home at Travellers! Helen the manager will do anything and everything to ensure that you have a comfortable and enjoyable stay. If you are thinking of going out to the reef but don't know which one of the many many tours to take, then Helen's your girl! With over 100 dives to her name, she knows the reef better than anyone and can direct you to the one which is most practical to your experience, whether it be your fist dive, or your 50th!! :D

It is a nice, small, very friendly hostel, where the staff become friends and take you out to the Woolshed for free drinks almost every night!! Haha! They have a BBQ Night on a Monday where you can taste crocodile, emu and kangaroo and they'll even give you a ticket for a free drink at Woolshed! Then there's the Pizza Nights on Thursdays! $10 for all you can eat pizza and a glass of Goon or a can of Tootheys!! Not to be missed as this give you a chance to meet your fellow guests and plan your night out!!! haha!

I stayed here for a total of about 10nights and after my sister left to go back home I thought I would be all alone, with no friends to talk to, but that all changed when I started chatting to and hanging out with the cleaning staff!!! They took care of me and let me hang out with them, going to the lagoon and on nights out! It helps that they are all backpackers themsevles who are just working for accommodation. They are all quite young and therefore love nothing better than topping up their tans and going out all night!! haha!!! :)

I can't reccommed this place enough, it is THE hostel to stay in, in Cairns if you're looking for somewhere where they remember your name, if you've been out on a trip or are just looking for somewhere to chill out. I suggest the hammocks by the pool for a quick nap!! :P

The place is kept very clean and tidy. The rooms are bright and airy, the outside eating areas are a nice touch and the TV Room is a good spot to watch a DVD or two if you fancy just chilling out...... ;)

I REALLY want to come back here, it really felt like home and I know that no other hostel will live up to it!! :(

This really is a Travellers Oasis.........xoxoxoxoxo

Room Tip: Room 10 is a 4 bed with no bunks in it, Room 19 has 1 bunk and two single beds in it and Room 18 has...
1 Thank Sunshine_Sarah27
Perth
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed here for a week recently as a solo traveller and I had the best time!!! This place is amazing, all the reviews are true. The management is amazing and so helpful and friendly, they really want to make sure you have a great stay. The facilities were spotless and I am very particular about cleanliness. The room I stayed in had great windows and lots of natural light and no bunk beds!

The hostel itself is a great set up, there are lots of outdoor picnic tables and dining areas so you can sit outside and eat your meals, it's really nice. The pool is great and there's lounge chairs you can lie on for sunbathing or just reading and relaxing.

The people who stay here are mostly a younger crowd, but it's NOT a party hostel. It has a really relaxed vibe and is good for people who want to meet people and do some socialize, but stll having a good nights sleep. They also do a BBQ night on Monday nights and a pizza night every so often, which is a good way to chat to people if you're feeling shy.

The location is a little bit out of town, but its literally one street away from the big shopping centre and only a 10 minute walk to the main streets of the city so it's really no problem.

If you want to do any tours or activities, management will help you sort it all out no problem. They even drop you off at the marina in the morning if you want to go on a boat tour out to the reef.

If your looking for a clean, relaxed, safe and chilled out hostel where you can meet some great fellow Travellers, this place is for you.

It feels like home!!!!! I honestly didn't want to leave. STAY HERE, you won't regret it.

1 Thank Reviewitis
UK
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Cairns was the first place we headed on entering Australia to start our one year working visa. We had read some really good reviews of the Travellers Oasis and they were all totally right! The place itself is well located, comfy, friendly and absolutely spotless, a total home away from home.

The thing that makes this place stand out from the rest though were the staff. We had a number of things to sort out when we arrived including setting up bank accounts, getting medicare cards, buying a car and all of the things that go along with that. This is where Helen, the manager of the hostel Helen went truly above and beyond what we would have expected. She gave us the pearls of her wisdom on all of the above and even called the hostel owner Gabe for a few bits of info on the car that she couldn't answer herself.

There are a number of live in staff members also who clean the hostel daily (this is why it is so pristine). These individuals were also very friendly and helpful in the advice they gave. Most of the staff had done the majority of the trips also so excellent advice can be had with regards to this.

If we return to Cairns, this is the only place we would stay.

Many thanks,
Lucy

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We didn't spend too much time with Traveller's oasis, passing through on our way to our dive trip, and then passing back before flying out. We stayed a total of 2 nights. Clientele is primarily younger crowd, with the occasional older couple.

What's nice about this place:

FACILITIES - There are only 2 showers/bathrooms that we've found (there might be more) but they were very clean and well kept. The decor of the area is overall very pleasing and relaxing, and certainly feels like an 'oasis' - hammocks strung everywhere, orchids flowering on the palm trees, and a lot of greenery and colourful painted buildings. Kitchen and fridges available for food storage, and stove tops/microwaves for cooking (which we didn't use). Clothes lines available for hanging dry swimsuits/scuba gear, and washing machines available for a charge.

STAFF - SUPER accommodating and helpful. Let us store luggage here for 3 days while we were on our trip, and also very nice on the phone. We cancelled a few nights stay, and they were totally okay with it. This is definitely the highlight of this place.

ROOMS - relatively spacious rooms. AC is $1 for 3 hours, which is reasonable, but we didn't need it with the ceiling fan in September. Clean, tidy, and towels are provided.

LOCATION AND PRICE - very reasonable prices and location is slightly off central, but town is just a short 10 minute walk away, through the shopping mall. It is also right next to the Kuranda rail station for scenic rails to the forest.

What we didn't like as much:
NOISE - occasionally noisy, especially the room on the second night (room 11). Our back window faced towards a walkway, where people were banging about all throughout the night doing god knows what. If you care about this, try and request one of the more secluded rooms (our first night was perfect in room 13)

SMOKERS - personal preference. As I write this I'm sitting at one of the few shaded areas and people are smoking next to me. Not to be a wiener, but it would have been nice to have a designated smoking area, so that the rest of us non smokers can stay in the shade and also breath.

OVERALL - really enjoyed our stay here, and would definitely consider staying here again!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, choose room 13 was great.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple